LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am tossing around the idea of building a roubo style bench and trying my best to save money. I have about 100 square feet of 3 1/2" wide by 3/4" thick tonge and groove maple flooring. I was thinking of cutting the tongue off and laminating a stack of them together to make a 3" thick top. Does anyone think I will have trouble making a top from material this thin? Every bench i have seen seems to use 6/4 or bigger boards. Also, the bottom faces of the hardwood has 2 wide grooves. Do you think I will have a problem glueing it up with those grooves?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I bet you'll be fine. I don't think the board thickness is an issue. If anything, it'll probably be more stable. Lots of glue and work, but I bet it will work. The one hitch may be the "2 wide grooves". How wide are these grooves? You could always plane them off and end up with 5/8" or 1/2" planks, depending on how deep the grooves are.

Also, take any finish off before you glue up. I'd just plane it off or sand it off if you don't have a planer.

·
Registered
8,807 Posts
Go for it! I have built a few of these type things using flooring material….Like Oyster said, I would probably plane the grooves off (or mostly off). You might want to glue up in 3 or so sections and plane them flat and then do the final glueup…..good luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just picked up my first planer today. A used Ridgid TP1300 for $150. My tentative plan is to make a split style so I can make 2×11" wide planks. I was hoping I could get by without planing off the grooves, but I think I will just to be safe. Thanks and I will be sure to post pictures when start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.