LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
All,

I know similar questions have come up multiple times on this forum. I have read through a lot of these threads.

However, I am hoping we can limit this thread to a simple vote between the two aforementioned saws.

Woodcraft has the Laguna 14-12 for 10% off - with final price of approximately $1,000
Woodcraft will have the Rikon 10-326 for 15% off in march, resulting in a final price of approximately $850.

That's a $150 difference between the two saws, but I'm not sweating. I am more interested in buying the better saw

Please note these are the ONLY two saws I'm considering. So with all due respect to other brands (Grizzly, Jet, Delta, etc., etc.), I would likely to kindly request fellow forum members to simply vote which between the two aforementioned saws would you choose.

Thanks in advance.

D

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. I'm hoping others would continue to chime in.

FWIW - I spoke to the staff at Woodcraft and they confessed that they have much higher profit margins on the Rikons than the Laguna. However, even with that being the case, the claimed that if "[they] were to give an honest recommendation, [they] would recommend the Laguna". This is all assuming that we were pushing the $150 price difference aside. They added that "Lagunas just seem to have a better build quality." Lastly, they added that they have a Lauguan 14-12 setup in their woodshop attached to the store that is pretty much running day-in and day-out by club members and the members seem very pleased with it.

All that being said, I have heard that Rikon made vast improvements between their 10-325 models vs 10-326 models. The 10-326 now has 1.75HP (similar to Laguna), larger table and more versatile fence, etc. all for $150 lower.

As I was conducting my search, I fond the following two reviews very helpful re the Laguna:

The user from the second review above rated the saw a "B-" and claimed that they "would NOT" buy the saw again. He claimed the main reason for not recommending the saw is because of the ceramic guides. Which really puzzled me because others users have been very excited and pleased with the ceramic guides.

Please continue posting thoughts. I plan on making my decision very soon.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wilt191,

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while. I ended buying the Laguna 14-12. In addition to the comments posted above, I had few fellow forum members Private Message me sharing their experience with the Laguna 14-12. They did not want their comments to be misconstrued as bashing other brands and thus preferred to PM. In addition, it was also the members and staff at Woodcraft that convinced me to go for the Laguna.

All that being said, I have yet to open my saw. Usually, I can't wait to unbox my new purchases; however, I fell sick (flu) shortly after my purchase. In addition, this time of the year is extremely busy for me - I'm in public accounting :).

I hope to unbox my saw in the immediate near future and share my experience.

Thanks,
D

· Registered
25 Posts
I just wanted to circle back to this thread after using my bandsaw now for a month.

Overall review, I absolutely love it. I followed the youtube videos on how to set it up. The assembly went smoothly and I was able to do it without a helping hand.

Maybe I just got a good piece, but so far there have been no issues with the saw. It passed the nickel test the day I set it up. It runs super smooth and dust collection is awesome.

As of right now, I have nothing to complain about and am very happy with my purchase. I will certainly post back here in the event I start having issues.

For now, I'll give this saw a 5/5

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Tay,

I ended up going with the Laguna - and I absolutely love it. That being said, you won't go wrong with either. My friend bought the Rikon and he loves it. Although it's a lot of money, my two cents would be to not stress too much about it. You will be happy with both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.