Kunz - #80 Scraper Plane (Rating: 5)

THE SOURCE
I bought this scraper plane from a German mail order company Dictum. Probably not the best source if you don't live in Europe. The good news is that they sell some of their products in the States and maybe Canada too.

I can't buy tools like this in a store where I live, so I have to buy mail order. I have learned to trust the German tools as they have never disappointed me yet. This scraper plane is no exception. This tool is in the 'good value' category of their tools, but they do not have any better line of this particular tool.

GENERAL QUALITY
I first checked the sole and found it dead flat, a good beginning. The standard blade is about 1/20" thick and made of pretty hard steel at 62 HRC. They also have HSS steel blades available for it, but I thought it would be easier to sharpen and turn the burr on the standard blade. The plane has a nice smooth epoxy finish on it.

TOOL SETUP
To get the scraper ready for use, the first thing I did was to try putting a 45 degree bevel on the blade with my 600 grit diamond stone. This was going way too slow, so I decided to grind the bevel on my bench grinder. I set my large tool rest at 45 degrees and made a lot of light passes to create a very nice consistent bevel. Then I honed the bevel by hand on my diamond stone to remove the hollow grind and create a very smooth surface. I also removed the burr on the back of the edge. Photo #1 shows the finished bevel.

Amber Wood Tints and shades Metal Street light

Next, I turned the burr using my new triangle shape Kunz burnisher. I used a light oil on the bevel and took a couple of very light passes and then applied more, but not too heavy pressure for the ensuing 5 or so passes.

The burnisher is tapered and it is my understanding that using widest part of one side of the triangle gives the smallest burr and using the smallest surface more towards the tip creates a larger burr. I went for the smallest burr this time as I wanted to try scraping my last marquetry picture to eliminate sanding. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of that part.

With the burr turned I inserted the blade from the bottom of the plane so as not to ruin the burr, then I put the plane sole on a flat surface and pushed the blade down until it hit the surface under the plane. The thumb screw was then tightened, but only enough to hold the blade securely in position, so I could take the finest shavings possible.

FIRST TEST
With everything set to go, it was finally time to take the plane for a test drive. My first test was on the piece of scrap straight off the bandsaw pictured below in photo#2.
Wood Rectangle Tree Plant Tints and shades

The plane produced a very fine surface with no vibration whatsoever after just a few passes as shown in photo #3 below.
Wood Material property Tints and shades Wood stain Hardwood

And here is a shot of the shavings. Nice little curlies in photo#4 below.
Machine Metal Cuisine Fashion accessory Natural material

2ND TEST
I went over my dragon marquetry picture and it came out perfect. Sanding will not be necessary. No picture taken as I'm sure everyone is sick of looking at it.

CONCLUSION
I am much more than just pleased with this scraper plane. I can't imagine that one could be better. I understand that a 30 to 45 degree bevel works well. I chose the 45 degree bevel because I thought it produce a stronger, longer lasting edge and also to save some blade steel since the 45 bevel is shorter.

After using cabinet scrapers the last 15 years, I can really appreciate the comfort and ease of using this tool.

For those of you who want expert advice on setting up your scraper plane, I highly recommend this link which I used to set up my own.