LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Both the K4 and K5 are in production at the present time. The K3 was replaced by the K4 and would only be found as a used unit. All are the same size (not sure where you got the impression any was larger), but the K5 is much easier to use than the K4, as far as I'm concerned. The wings on the K5 allow for storage and keep your work piece level, plus the locking handle is in the front.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I don't use my old k2000 as much as I used to, but I still do from time to time. I much prefer the The mounted jig to the clamp on versions.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Yep, the R3 is one of the portable versions. Works fine for occasional use, but you'd want a K4 or K5 if doing very many pocket holes for large or multiple projects. The drill block on the bench units is actually removable for use as a portable piece, so if you get either of those, you have the addtional functionality of the R3.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the older K4 master kit and it's great. I got it on sale at Rockler a couple years ago and the only thing I have ever had problems with has been operator error by choosing the wrong length screw. Past that it works just like they say it will. You can mount it to a board if you wish but as long as it is clamped down I haven't had any problems. I have a small work area so I clamp mine and take it apart to store it.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I still have the first one I bought several years ago. I mounted it on a piece of plywood. It hangs on the wall when it is not needed.

Or it used to. I have since modified it. Now it works great! Still the same jig. :)

Original set up with the micro jig inserted in the base.
Wood Office ruler Engineering Ruler Gas

Wood Office equipment Machine Hardwood Banknote

Wood Engineering Handheld power drill Gas Machine

Hangs on the wall.
Wood Rectangle Gas Office ruler Electric blue

Modified version. WHOOP! :)
Table Wood Flooring Floor Engineering

Circuit component Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Cable Audio equipment

Circuit component Pliers Engineering Electrical wiring Wire stripper

Table Electrical wiring Wood Engineering Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
The K4 is really not much cheaper than the K5 and having the clamping handle in the front on the same side as you will be drilling is invaluable, especially if you add pocket holes to any fairly large panels. Large panels will prevent you from reaching around to clamp the piece in place. I own the K5 and really enjoy it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.