LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts

Hello Woodworkers!

I need a little advice. I'm in the process of designing a kitchen table for my mother and she gave me the above picture link as a possible idea. I've never made a table so I'm not exactly sure how I should attach the top to the base. I plan on using mortise and tenon joinery for the base.

What options do I have to attach the top to the base? Wood movement is going to be an issue and I'm not sure how to approach this issue.

Please feel free to recommend any reading literature that I can research for building tables!

Many Thanks,
Scotty

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've made the long slots on the inside of the apron and used those clips before with pretty good results. I think Norm made his clips out of wood scraps, but the concept is the same. I use figure eights for smaller table tops. You don't have to make the slot the whole length. This is especially important if that slot will show out the ends. You can use your biscuit joiner to make slots where you want them and they'll be wide enough to accomodate the wood movement. I'm getting ready to embark on our new dining room table, so I'm right there with you. Have you thought about blogging on your progress?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I do the same as woodworm picture #1 using the cleats in the slot.
I do not use the small angle bracket shown in #2, just the slot method all the way around. Very easy to just put the slot in the apron on the table saw, or alternatively, a router with slot cutter or I have for the bedside table used a biscuit cutter to pop in some slots where wanted, when i did not want a slot the entire length.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
Thanks notottoman, now I know, I guess.
First I have to screw it to the top of the apron then place the the table top on top of the apron and screw it from underside. Correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.