LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Kitchen Remodel

9227 Views 28 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  SteveV
Kitchen Remodel - Phase 1 Design

Kitchen Remodel - New pics added…

Well, March is here and the shop is now open. I had planned to have the design of the new kitchen finished but it's not. What a great use of the winter down time but the design process has been long and hard fought with my wife. We have very different tastes and I was just happy to agree on the cabinet style but where to put them and what type of hardware has been the road block. Oh yeah then came the gut and redo of the down stairs bathroom (that I almost finished).

So here'is my basic plan. Since this will take a while and my wife is a little unsure of my ability to complete the project and do a nice job, I have broken the project into manageable pieces.

Bathroom Cabinet - The redesign of the bathroom includes removal of the vanity and replacing it with a pedestal sink. To replace the storage, we lost, I have designed and built (building) a "prototype" cabinet. This prototype cabinet will serve as a demo piece for the kitchen cabinets. This way I can work out the design bugs and paint options. Our cabinets are to be painted white with an antique finish. My wife will then be able to "see" what they look and feel like. All the bead work and molding will be milled in the shop. Once I have her approval and sign off I move on to the …

Pantry - We have an existing coat closet just out side the bathroom that we have always used as a pantry of sorts. I will add some pics tonight. This "pantry" is a mess and is covered by a curtain after I took the cheap bi-fold doors off when the new hardwood floors went in. So this will be redesigned with new doors and a fresh interior with lighting!

Microwave/Fridge Cabinets - This is a set of cabinets that house the microwave and surround the current fridge. These cabinets hold the pots and pans and is that ever a mess to deal with. This we be completely redesigned with larger, deeper, taller cabinets and drawers!

Kitchen Hot Wall/ Wet wall- (Norm Terms) This is the meat of the kitchen. This will be rebuilt but follow the same basic layout of the current kitchen. Another change here will be the removal of the soffit so the cabinets can extend to the ceiling. Our current "cheap" cabinets don't so the builder added soffits so dust wouldn't collect above the cabinets. Lets hope there are no pipes in there but i believe these were added after all the plumbing was roughed in.

Additional Cabinets/Bar top - This will be an new set of cabinets with a bar top for people to sit at. This will be completely new to the kitchen and will require the removal of a kitchen slider door. This will be replaced with single french door to make more room. Design is still in progress here.

Counter tops and lighting - This will be my wife's department. She wants granite and all new (desperately needed) kitchen lighting. This will involve recessed and pendant lighting oh and don't forget under cabinet lights.

Well, that should do it. If anyone has any input, ideas, or suggestions I would love to hear them!! I am struggling with cabinet hardware - make and types. Everything with be face frame and inset.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Well, March is here and the shop is now open. I had planned to have the design of the new kitchen finished but it's not. What a great use of the winter down time but the design process has been long and hard fought with my wife. We have very different tastes and I was just happy to agree on the cabinet style but where to put them and what type of hardware has been the road block. Oh yeah then came the gut and redo of the down stairs bathroom (that I almost finished).

So here'is my basic plan. Since this will take a while and my wife is a little unsure of my ability to complete the project and do a nice job, I have broken the project into manageable pieces.

Bathroom Cabinet - The redesign of the bathroom includes removal of the vanity and replacing it with a pedestal sink. To replace the storage, we lost, I have designed and built (building) a "prototype" cabinet. This prototype cabinet will serve as a demo piece for the kitchen cabinets. This way I can work out the design bugs and paint options. Our cabinets are to be painted white with an antique finish. My wife will then be able to "see" what they look and feel like. All the bead work and molding will be milled in the shop. Once I have her approval and sign off I move on to the …

Pantry - We have an existing coat closet just out side the bathroom that we have always used as a pantry of sorts. I will add some pics tonight. This "pantry" is a mess and is covered by a curtain after I took the cheap bi-fold doors off when the new hardwood floors went in. So this will be redesigned with new doors and a fresh interior with lighting!

Microwave/Fridge Cabinets - This is a set of cabinets that house the microwave and surround the current fridge. These cabinets hold the pots and pans and is that ever a mess to deal with. This we be completely redesigned with larger, deeper, taller cabinets and drawers!

Kitchen Hot Wall/ Wet wall- (Norm Terms) This is the meat of the kitchen. This will be rebuilt but follow the same basic layout of the current kitchen. Another change here will be the removal of the soffit so the cabinets can extend to the ceiling. Our current "cheap" cabinets don't so the builder added soffits so dust wouldn't collect above the cabinets. Lets hope there are no pipes in there but i believe these were added after all the plumbing was roughed in.

Additional Cabinets/Bar top - This will be an new set of cabinets with a bar top for people to sit at. This will be completely new to the kitchen and will require the removal of a kitchen slider door. This will be replaced with single french door to make more room. Design is still in progress here.

Counter tops and lighting - This will be my wife's department. She wants granite and all new (desperately needed) kitchen lighting. This will involve recessed and pendant lighting oh and don't forget under cabinet lights.

Well, that should do it. If anyone has any input, ideas, or suggestions I would love to hear them!! I am struggling with cabinet hardware - make and types. Everything with be face frame and inset.
Nope, you're doing fine. You've got a plan now there is is to work it. A big gargantuan project is nothing more than an overall plan with steps/targets assigned to the modules of construction and installation. Good job. Keep us posted WITH pics.

always,
J.C.

Good luck. How old is the house? What no pictures!

Pictures are coming. House is 13.5 yrs old.

It is not one big project. It is a bunch of small projects that come together.
The Prototype Cabinet

OK, I've been doing this pretty steady now for 3 yrs with a semi real shop and my wife still has her doubts. So when I told her I was going to rebuild our kitchen she was a little skeptical. Once we settled on the design (the one I talked her into), I decided to build a cabinet for our bathroom renovation that would incorporate all the design feature of the new kitchen cabinets. Now she has something to look at. This will also allow me to work out the paint scheme.

Hardware … I thought this would be the easy part … I was wrong. I was planning on using non-mortised hinges but my wife doesn't want to see the hinge hardware. So now I need to figure out what to use. The doors and drawers will all be inset. I'm pretty sure I 'm going to stick with Blum hardware (any comments?). Figuring out which hinges to use has been a small challenge. There seems to be so many types, degrees, and models. I think I've settled on 120 degree ClipTop hinges for inset doors. Still not sure if I need to add blocking for the hinge plate. I did notice that McFeely's was selling a Mepla hinge designed for inset doors with a beaded face frame http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/MP-FF90/Mepla-Beaded-Inset-Door-Hinges-1-Set. Maybe I should just get these to make it simple. The other thing that gets me is the hinge and "plate" are sold separately in some places. I guess that makes some sense since it looks like the plate is what makes it 1/2, 1/3 overlay, or inset. Anyone have any advice here for a beaded face frame with inset doors?? The there are drawer slides … my big question here is length. I guess the hinge length will be the same as the drawer box length??

Again, these "painted" cabinets were inspired by the ones Norm featured on the New Yankee workshop. I'm about 8/10th of the way complete and I'm already surprised how long it can take to get this all worked out and built. Below are some pictures of the progress and details.

Lower corner detail

Front with first door frame set in

End panel and door frame molding detail

End panel - any exposed cabinet end will be finished with a panel

Face frame detail - This was made on the router table then mitered and installed inside face frame
See less See more
The Prototype Cabinet

OK, I've been doing this pretty steady now for 3 yrs with a semi real shop and my wife still has her doubts. So when I told her I was going to rebuild our kitchen she was a little skeptical. Once we settled on the design (the one I talked her into), I decided to build a cabinet for our bathroom renovation that would incorporate all the design feature of the new kitchen cabinets. Now she has something to look at. This will also allow me to work out the paint scheme.

Hardware … I thought this would be the easy part … I was wrong. I was planning on using non-mortised hinges but my wife doesn't want to see the hinge hardware. So now I need to figure out what to use. The doors and drawers will all be inset. I'm pretty sure I 'm going to stick with Blum hardware (any comments?). Figuring out which hinges to use has been a small challenge. There seems to be so many types, degrees, and models. I think I've settled on 120 degree ClipTop hinges for inset doors. Still not sure if I need to add blocking for the hinge plate. I did notice that McFeely's was selling a Mepla hinge designed for inset doors with a beaded face frame http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/MP-FF90/Mepla-Beaded-Inset-Door-Hinges-1-Set. Maybe I should just get these to make it simple. The other thing that gets me is the hinge and "plate" are sold separately in some places. I guess that makes some sense since it looks like the plate is what makes it 1/2, 1/3 overlay, or inset. Anyone have any advice here for a beaded face frame with inset doors?? The there are drawer slides … my big question here is length. I guess the hinge length will be the same as the drawer box length??

Again, these "painted" cabinets were inspired by the ones Norm featured on the New Yankee workshop. I'm about 8/10th of the way complete and I'm already surprised how long it can take to get this all worked out and built. Below are some pictures of the progress and details.

Lower corner detail

Face frame detail - This was made on the router table then mitered and installed inside face frame
this is coming together great. i like the whole look of it and the look of the feet and doors. can't wait for the next installment.
The Prototype Cabinet

Lower corner detail

I would say it's on it's way. Don't weaken.
The Prototype Cabinet

Lower corner detail

It looks great so far. Inset drawers and doors are really nice looking but everthing has to be square - square - square! Then you have to hope that the cabinets won't settle or shift. Be sure you get some type of hinges with adjustment. Maybe other jocks won't feel this is a concern? I am the first to admit I sure don't know it all. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom
The Prototype Cabinet

Lower corner detail

wheres the beading at the door bottoms?
The Prototype Cabinet

Lower corner detail

Great job so far, Nice clean look. You do know that when she sees the completed project there will be no turning back, the orders will begin to come in for other stuff as well.

Thanks for the post and let us know what happens.
The Prototype Cabinet

Lower corner detail

Looks like you have it figured out!
The Prototype Cabinet

Lower corner detail

Hmmmm beading at the bottom?? Well, I intentionally left this out. This cabinet will be a floor standing cabinet and for some reason I did not like the look of he beading wrapping around the door. The exposed edge of the shelf you see is actually there as a positive door stop.

When I do the kitchen cabinets I think think the beading will be on the bottom as well since this is not the first time someone has asked.
The Prototype Cabinet

Lower corner detail

This is looking good. I can't wait to see the kitchen remodel.
The Prototype Cabinet

Lower corner detail

I have used Blum for many many years now and you can't beat them for euro hardware, and you are right they sell the plates separate because of the many configurations they can be used in. I personally have never liked the hinge plate that mounted on the back of the face frame and for that reason when I build face frame cabinets with inset door I try to use traditional hardware or use a block on the inside so I can use a different mount but that is not the most pleasing way to do it. I would suggest trying to get a hold of a blum dealer or a cabinet part supplier in your area and voice your concerns and see if they can suggest they right combination for your cabinets.
http://www.blum.us/us/en/index.php

Joey
New Saw!! Big wait :-(

I discovered, while building my prototype cabinet, that I need a new tool!! My contractor saw just won't cut it (sorry for the pun). So after researching the you know what out of the TS market I've decided to stick with Grizzly and try their new G0651 (pic below).

The only down side to this is I will have to wait 4-6 weeks before these new saws are shipping. This is a real bummer as I'm making progress on this project but to tell you the truth there are really no other saws that offer the same features for the money. Not only does it have a riving knife and digital blade tilt read out but is has an out-feed table included. These may seem simple to some but they are features i would never buy on my own separately.

This saw is huge at 91 inches across and will turn my garage/shop into a full time shop. I'm still hoping with a little disassembling and a roller base that I can store it out of the way for the winter months when I won't really be using it.

Well, I'm hoping this will take no longer than 4-6 weeks like Grizzly said. This will slow my project down but won't stop it. I'm hopefully meeting with my ply-wood supplier this week. I think the ply-wood for this remodel will cost more than the saw!

BTW once I get the new saw I will be looking to sell my Rigid contractor saw. Anyone ever have any luck selling these on the Internet?

Steve

See less See more

I discovered, while building my prototype cabinet, that I need a new tool!! My contractor saw just won't cut it (sorry for the pun). So after researching the you know what out of the TS market I've decided to stick with Grizzly and try their new G0651 (pic below).

The only down side to this is I will have to wait 4-6 weeks before these new saws are shipping. This is a real bummer as I'm making progress on this project but to tell you the truth there are really no other saws that offer the same features for the money. Not only does it have a riving knife and digital blade tilt read out but is has an out-feed table included. These may seem simple to some but they are features i would never buy on my own separately.

This saw is huge at 91 inches across and will turn my garage/shop into a full time shop. I'm still hoping with a little disassembling and a roller base that I can store it out of the way for the winter months when I won't really be using it.

Well, I'm hoping this will take no longer than 4-6 weeks like Grizzly said. This will slow my project down but won't stop it. I'm hopefully meeting with my ply-wood supplier this week. I think the ply-wood for this remodel will cost more than the saw!

BTW once I get the new saw I will be looking to sell my Rigid contractor saw. Anyone ever have any luck selling these on the Internet?

Steve

I wish I had the room for a cabinet saw like that. I have to make-do with an old Craftsman contractor's saw with some fence and other upgrades. I have a 4 ft side extension on the garage I store it in when the cars are in the garage.

Steve

Hey Steve. Fantastic saw. I just got back from the WoodWorking show in my area and I think I saw (no pun) it there. I like the outfeed table. Mine doesn't have one, but then again…...I think it would take up the missus car room and she'd get mad.

Take care.

Steve

This is one serious saw. Good idea to leverage the kitchen remodel into buying a new saw.

Thanks for the post.

Steve

Try Craigelist to sell your old one.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.