LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
My wife wants pullout shelves added to our existing kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are about 8 yrs old, contractor grade modular. Oak face frames. I would like to use some materials on hand.

Does anyone know of a good "how to guide" so I can benefit from others experience.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
I did this to our "tall pantry". I firred out the interior (front and rear) so that the full extension slides would clear the face frame. Then made the "drawers" from 3/4" and 1/2" birch plywood. Make the backs high enough to prevent stuff from falling off when the drawers are pulled forward.

I saw a post here the other day of this type of project. The author made the sides of the drawers so they were "low" in the front and "high" in the back. I think that's also a good idea to keep stuff from catching the face frames as the drawers are opened. Wish I had thought of it when I did mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Rob,

The problem is the having to work at or on the cabinets' level. I find it easiest to make a simple box that will slide into the cabinet. Build the box on your bench fit all your hardware and such, slide the box in and secure with a couple of screws. Done and your back and knees will appreciate it.
Dave

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for your help. Slideout is very helpful.
Crawling around on the floor doesn't seam very inviting. gotta be a good jig out there???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.