LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
9K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  bandit571 
#1 ·
The start up

Old Pine and Plywood Island need an update, according to the Boss. Had her look through an entire 2 pages of images on Google….until she found something she wanted….
Gas Rectangle Circle Font Auto part

Not the best screen grab…but, at least it came with the important stuff….height, width, length…that I could use..

Already had spent $20 on a supply of Ash lumber….
Brown Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Shortest is 2', some of the longer 1×6s are 5' long. Should be enough there. Waited on Moose & Squirrel to deliver a paper plan. Glad the Whatamatta U. Art Department could draw one up….
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

Details?
Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Pattern

End view. There will be a panel at the top. Might be a raised one? Instead of the Towel Bar. There will be small casters in use. They doubled up at the bottom of the legs for that.
Details…
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Pattern

Instead of the wire mesh door panel….will be a raised panel.

Solid panels everywhere, drawer…just a single board, 5" tall. Shelves spaced to allow 2lt bottles to sit on them. Behind the door will be all the cookies sheets, pizza pans. May or may not get a second door, to allow access from either side…
Bottom apron will have a curve cut into it. Bottom shelf goes all the way across, acts as the bottom inside the door cabinet.

Need to make 2 webframes…above and below the drawer. Top on will also attach the top to the case.

Will start up a cut list, later….so I can glue up the needed panels….including the door panel…
Stay tuned….

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The start up

Old Pine and Plywood Island need an update, according to the Boss. Had her look through an entire 2 pages of images on Google….until she found something she wanted….
Gas Rectangle Circle Font Auto part

Not the best screen grab…but, at least it came with the important stuff….height, width, length…that I could use..

Already had spent $20 on a supply of Ash lumber….
Brown Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Shortest is 2', some of the longer 1×6s are 5' long. Should be enough there. Waited on Moose & Squirrel to deliver a paper plan. Glad the Whatamatta U. Art Department could draw one up….
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

Details?
Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Pattern

End view. There will be a panel at the top. Might be a raised one? Instead of the Towel Bar. There will be small casters in use. They doubled up at the bottom of the legs for that.
Details…
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Pattern

Instead of the wire mesh door panel….will be a raised panel.

Solid panels everywhere, drawer…just a single board, 5" tall. Shelves spaced to allow 2lt bottles to sit on them. Behind the door will be all the cookies sheets, pizza pans. May or may not get a second door, to allow access from either side…
Bottom apron will have a curve cut into it. Bottom shelf goes all the way across, acts as the bottom inside the door cabinet.

Need to make 2 webframes…above and below the drawer. Top on will also attach the top to the case.

Will start up a cut list, later….so I can glue up the needed panels….including the door panel…
Stay tuned….
Dang, one of them short boards cost me $20 around here!

Attachments

#3 ·
1st panel glued up

Cut list says I need a 23" x 39" panel for the top of the Island…Hauled 4 planks to the shop, about 4' long….By the time I had trimmed them to about 40"....and did a straight-line rip…..to 5-7/8" width….was coming up a bit short of the 23" width…..Hauled another plank to the shop…this one had a large split on one end….figured I could do a couple rips, to get a decent strip as a filler….will keep the other 2 strips for other items…Jointer planes, because of a few high spots, curved spots…
Wood Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Engineering Auto part

Jack plane to knock the worse down, then a few passes with the #7c….test fit the boards, to find out the high spots, and pre-set a few clamps…
Wood Rectangle Table Automotive exterior Flooring

Trying to get a decent grain pattern going….BIG V across once the boards were all lined up….Time for the Glue,Cauls,& Clamps routine…
Wood Gas Engineering Machine Hardwood

Leg vise acts as a third hand. This is the "good" side….might be the top of the top….other side?
Wood Motor vehicle Bicycle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Not that great….let this sit a day….while I figure out what size panel for that bottom shelf….
Went out to Lowes, and picked up the casters…
Jewellery Metal Rectangle Font Fashion accessory

1-1/4" ones….smallest they had….now, I can figure the lengths of the four legs….3/4" by 3" by ???
Stay tuned….may try for a panel a day….

Attachments

#4 ·
1st panel trimmed up, and a cut list

Managed to draw up a cut list, of sorts…
Brown Handwriting Font Material property Rectangle

Ink was barely dry…when I had to make a change. Glad Fred Flintstone didn't carve the list in stone…list is more of a guide….Case in point. After the 1st panel had been squared up….the size did a few changes…
Per the list: 3/4" x 23-1/2" x 39"
As glued up: 3/4" x 24" x 40"
As trimmed square: 3/4" x 21-5/8" x 38-5/8"

Because of a new, roll-around Dishwasher now in the kitchen….has to reduced the Island a tad, to allow the DW room to get by. Old Island is 16" wide….not too much of a change. And, with the casters, can be moved aside a bit, if need be.

Ok, got the clamps off the panel today…
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Somehow, in the process of gluing this up….I lost track of that HUGE "V" I had marked, to keep the parts in order…
Only two are where they were supposed to be..bottom plank, and the center filler….One was flipped end for end, another turned 180 degrees…had v marks everywhere….the "good" side was now the bad side, full of defects…
Table Wood Flooring Desk Floor

Other side wasn't as bad. Set up a guide for the circular saw….to trim a bit off the ends, to square them up
Wood Machine tool Hardwood Gas Plank

Didn't remove a whole lot…less than an inch, maybe. Then set up the tablesaw to rip for width….a little bit will do.

Reset the tablesaw back into "Bench Mode" ....Beltsanded the (now) bad side flat…new 80 grit belt, had to clean out the filter…...Then flip the panel over, and work on the "good" side….first with a jack plane..
Wood Flooring Floor Table Wood stain

Trying to level the glue joints….then a little longer plane took over..
Plane Table Smoothing plane Wood Rebate plane

I did try the No.8…...arms were a bit too tired, so I used this Stanley #7c for most of the work….came back with a #3 smooth plane, to work on a few smaller trouble spots.
Was getting tired, was already sore, Clothes Dryer wasn't helping keep the shop cool…and me "dry"....was getting crampy…time to stop. Boss wanted to go shopping, and I needed a couple packs of screws.

Later, hauled 4 planks to the shop, and a FULL clothes basket back upstairs….I paused just long enough to make ONE cut line on one plank…and called it a day.
Stay tuned, next panel will be the new, resized bottom shelf….then maybe 4 legs, and 2 webframes…..May need to go out and pick up 4 more planks….at 4/4×6 x 9'....about $16 worth….

Until then…and this hip feeling better…..

Attachments

#5 ·
A bottom shelf needed made

Just 4 planks, cut to a rough length of 36-1/2"...straight-line ripped to get somewhat decent edges for glue to adhere to…this time around..2 pipe clamps sitting on top of the tablesaw, while I sort the 4 for best effect..
Table Wood Machine tool Workbench Tool

Spread a bit of glue, rub the joints together a bit..add the 3rd clamp up on top….added a couple cauls to flatten the ends at the glue joints..
Wood Table Wood stain Rectangle Plank

Was hoping this would be the show side…removed the clamps the next day…
Wood Tool Rectangle Lumber Composite material

Was trying to trim just enough off the ends, to square things up…saw guide….

To guide the 6" SKIL saw along…
Then rip 1/2" off the edge…..time to flatten the panel..that is where things went downhill fast. Was going to beltsand the high spots down close to level, then plane things flat….except…beltsander had locked up, motor wasn't turning….was a cheapy Wall E World 3×18 Hyper Tough…..which quickly found it red body inside the big blue trash can…..then a quick round trip to Lima, OH….Harbor Freight did have a 3×21 beltsander in my price range, with a 90 day warrantee also got the LAST package of belts they had….in that size…Back home 36 grit leveled one side…wasn't looking too good..flipped the panel over…boards did look better..may use this side instead….then the No. 6
Smoothing plane Plane Scrub plane Jack plane Hand tool

Took over…arms were a little too tired to use the #7c….I even hit a few trouble spots with a #3….
Table Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

No. 6 did a decent enough job, though….remember, this will be just a bottom shelf…
Brown Wood Natural material Flooring Floor

Need to move this off the tablesaw….have more parts to mill
Stay tuned for the next episode!

Attachments

#6 ·
A bottom shelf needed made

Just 4 planks, cut to a rough length of 36-1/2"...straight-line ripped to get somewhat decent edges for glue to adhere to…this time around..2 pipe clamps sitting on top of the tablesaw, while I sort the 4 for best effect..
Table Wood Machine tool Workbench Tool

Spread a bit of glue, rub the joints together a bit..add the 3rd clamp up on top….added a couple cauls to flatten the ends at the glue joints..
Wood Table Wood stain Rectangle Plank

Was hoping this would be the show side…removed the clamps the next day…
Wood Tool Rectangle Lumber Composite material

Was trying to trim just enough off the ends, to square things up…saw guide….

To guide the 6" SKIL saw along…
Then rip 1/2" off the edge…..time to flatten the panel..that is where things went downhill fast. Was going to beltsand the high spots down close to level, then plane things flat….except…beltsander had locked up, motor wasn't turning….was a cheapy Wall E World 3×18 Hyper Tough…..which quickly found it red body inside the big blue trash can…..then a quick round trip to Lima, OH….Harbor Freight did have a 3×21 beltsander in my price range, with a 90 day warrantee also got the LAST package of belts they had….in that size…Back home 36 grit leveled one side…wasn't looking too good..flipped the panel over…boards did look better..may use this side instead….then the No. 6
Smoothing plane Plane Scrub plane Jack plane Hand tool

Took over…arms were a little too tired to use the #7c….I even hit a few trouble spots with a #3….
Table Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

No. 6 did a decent enough job, though….remember, this will be just a bottom shelf…
Brown Wood Natural material Flooring Floor

Need to move this off the tablesaw….have more parts to mill
Stay tuned for the next episode!
Good exercise mate hehehe

Attachments

#7 ·
Parts is parts

And running out of places to stash them. Notches are done..
Table Wood Automotive exterior Gas Composite material

Then..
The legs came out of the clamps, where they had been sitting overnight…
Scrub plane Plane Saw Hand tool Wood

There was a block glued on…to thicken the foot of the leg, so a caster could be installed..
Door Wood Household hardware Sleeve Handle

so…now all four legs are sitting around..I did clean up one "foot"
Wood Floor Composite material Flooring Hardwood

Legs are fitted into the notches in the bottom shelf. The block also supports the shelf. Needed to mill ends…
Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain Floor

With a rebate to sit under the shelf….with a bit hiding the end grain of the shelf….
Wood Textile Grey Flooring Beige

Later, I narrowed these down….both the bottom shelf gets these, and the middle shelf.
Running out of lumber…
Yesterday, parts for the webframes….had enough long ones for one frame..
Wood Composite material Plank Flooring Hardwood

Webframes are for the drawer to slide on, and attach the top to the island….Middle shelf…
Gas Composite material Street light Rectangle Electrical supply

Needs end piece, and two side pieces…
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Line

Which also need a rebate..
Wood Tool Composite material Plank Hardwood

Then the resize of the bottom shelf's ends..
Wood Floor Automotive exterior Composite material Flooring

Because they were a tad too wide…
Gesture Sleeve Font Rectangle Metal

And, needed to match the curved side "aprons"...
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Composite material

Had enough 1×6 left, I could glue up one panel….
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Gas

This will be a divider…
Handwriting Font Parallel Slope Triangle

It supports the end of the middle shelf, acts as a wall for the cupboard, and supports the webframe above…
It will sit in a dado across the bottom shelf. It will need a dado to attach the middle shelf with..

Might need to do a few sub-assemblies…and get a bit of room in the shop….

Stay tuned….

Attachments

#8 ·
Parts is parts

And running out of places to stash them. Notches are done..
Table Wood Automotive exterior Gas Composite material

Then..
The legs came out of the clamps, where they had been sitting overnight…
Scrub plane Plane Saw Hand tool Wood

There was a block glued on…to thicken the foot of the leg, so a caster could be installed..
Door Wood Household hardware Sleeve Handle

so…now all four legs are sitting around..I did clean up one "foot"
Wood Floor Composite material Flooring Hardwood

Legs are fitted into the notches in the bottom shelf. The block also supports the shelf. Needed to mill ends…
Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain Floor

With a rebate to sit under the shelf….with a bit hiding the end grain of the shelf….
Wood Textile Grey Flooring Beige

Later, I narrowed these down….both the bottom shelf gets these, and the middle shelf.
Running out of lumber…
Yesterday, parts for the webframes….had enough long ones for one frame..
Wood Composite material Plank Flooring Hardwood

Webframes are for the drawer to slide on, and attach the top to the island….Middle shelf…
Gas Composite material Street light Rectangle Electrical supply

Needs end piece, and two side pieces…
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Line

Which also need a rebate..
Wood Tool Composite material Plank Hardwood

Then the resize of the bottom shelf's ends..
Wood Floor Automotive exterior Composite material Flooring

Because they were a tad too wide…
Gesture Sleeve Font Rectangle Metal

And, needed to match the curved side "aprons"...

Had enough 1×6 left, I could glue up one panel….
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Gas

This will be a divider…
Handwriting Font Parallel Slope Triangle

It supports the end of the middle shelf, acts as a wall for the cupboard, and supports the webframe above…
It will sit in a dado across the bottom shelf. It will need a dado to attach the middle shelf with..

Might need to do a few sub-assemblies…and get a bit of room in the shop….

Stay tuned….
Coming along nicely with the kitchen island, Bandit. Looks like Squirrel and Moose did a nice job with those plans . . .

Attachments

#10 ·
Curves and things

Letting the new lumber sit a few days….that divider panel is out of the clamps. Ends squared up, one edge trimmed for width..both faces flattened and smooth…set aside for a bit.

Long aprons needed a curve to them…
Wood Table Flooring Automotive exterior Composite material

Laid it out, just 3 nails and a scrap of bendy Ash. Bandsaw to try to cut to the line….got close, laid out the second one, and cut it. Blade is getting dull…..so, clamp the 2 aprons together in the vise, and give a spokeshave a try
Wood Plank Table Gas Hardwood

Trying to get both to match each other….

Bottom shelf needed a dado milled for the divider to sit in…will get closed off when the aprons get glued in place..
Table Wood Automotive exterior Tool Gas

I think the dado is under the 2nd clamp…was fun..trying to glue BOTH aprons on at the same time….then test the divider, to see IF I trimmed enough off of one edge….
Wood Composite material Building material Tradesman Gas

Set it aside…for now. Legs needed cleaned up at the glue joints…couple a couple done, one more to go…decided to install 2 legs….more "fun"..
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Outdoor furniture

Trick was to glue a leg, then add the short clamp…...hold clamp, hold leg…how to adjust the clamp….BEFORE it gets tightened down….repeat for the other leg, including the same cuss words…THEN install the pipe clamp…..

Then cut 2 spacers. no glue this time. Trying to get the legs to stand up straight, and plumb..
Wood Gas Spinning Machine Engineering

Then add a 3rd clamp at the bottom shelf level….was trying to get things square to the shelf, too…
Running out of room to work, and paces to set things….

Tomorrow, I can remove all the clamps, and do a little more milling of parts….might need a new plank or two
Webframes need figured out….no end grain showing…yet wrap around the leg?

still need a few panels glued up, and figure out a door….and maybe assemble the other end's legs….
Stay tuned…

Attachments

#11 ·
Not a good day

at some point, the assemble tipped over, and onto the floor….turned out, both legs were knocked loose…repairs involved counter-bored screws….got both attached, again…added the divder into it's dado, via glue and screws…needed a place to set this mess on..to work on other things…
Wood Tool Gas Hardwood Lumber

Leg repairs….glued and screwed…one leg was being…stubborn…I used the tablesaw as an assembly table..
Wood Table Gas Tool Hardwood

That stubborn leg? seems it had snapped the #6 screw off….had to relocate the counter bores ( yellow circles)
Wood Engineering Machine Lumber Plywood

And use #8 screws….and a bit of candle wax….End caps were installed..
Wood Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Bottle

Once they were cut to fit around the legs..
Wood Gas Engineering Automotive exterior Composite material

And both ends were capped….had to lift, and rotate the assemble around, to work on the other side…
Wood Shade Gas Hardwood Plywood

Laid the top in place, and out of the way…figured I had enough, for one day….
Stay tuned…Saturday's Follies is coming up…

Attachments

#12 ·
Saturday in the Dungeon

For those that complain about how small their shops are…..
Wood Tool Workbench Table Gas

This is where I spent Saturday afternoon at….even had an "assembly area" set up…
Wood Gas Engineering Auto part Automotive exterior

Though it did get a bit cramped….
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

But, with the Island off my tablesaw, I could mill a few parts to size…until the lumber ran out…worked at the top of the case….needed the ends closed up..
Wood Hardwood Gas Landscape Roof

So, a 1x was glued to the webframe's end, with a tight fit between the uprights….same at the other end. I also cut a back…
Wood Gas Engineering Auto part Automotive exterior

And, as soon as the clamps get out of the way, it will also get glued in place. A stile was notched and glued across the drawer opening…notched on the ends, so it fits around the legs. Then a blank for the drawer front was cut and fitted…
Tire Wood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Need to make the kicker and install that, once the back is installed. drawer guides need made, too.

Fun part was when a 8' plank came to the shop….had two to cut down.
Wood Gas Table Machine Stool

Second one of these, I just clamped it to the tablesaw, used a square and the 6" SKIL saw…and made a few cuts…
Wood Lumber Hardwood Engineering Plank

Sorted through the 4 pieces….until I had 2 pairs…all jointed and ready to glue up….
Wood Automotive tire Gas Chair Metal

Better looking of these two will be the door, the other will be the back of the compartment. then the last of the planks came to the shop…cut into 3 more or less equal parts…add a 2" wide filler strip…
Wood Hardwood Plank Flooring Machine tool

This will close off the end with the door…

I also got half of the corner blocks milled..
Furniture Wood Table Office ruler Plank

These, and 2 more, go into the corners…
Wood Hardwood Flooring Plank Lumber

As they reinforce the corners, and gives me a way to attach the top to the Island.
Might be a day or so, before I get back to the shop….then clamps come off, panels get squared up..a kicker installed, a door made.

A lumber run is scheduled for next Wednesday….Blue BORG pine to build the drawer, plywood for the middle shelf and another for the drawer bottom….might be a busy week coming up?

Stay tuned..

Attachments

#13 ·
Monday?

Sunday was too busy elsewhere, to go to the shop…and, even though the shop is closed on Mondays…had to get things moving….Had three panels, sitting around all clamped up, and doing nothing but taking up floor space..so…

Largest of the 3 was still sitting on my tablesaw…removed to clamps, trimmed the ends square, width was a hair too wide. Surfaced the better looking of the 2 faces flat, and as smooth as I could get it. Then a bit of glue, and some clamps..
Wood Gas Hardwood Automotive exterior Lumber

Glued to the legs only, this closes the end of the Island's door compartment. Since I needed those clamps removed from the smaller 2 panels…

One was trimmed to size. It also needed a rebate milled…
Wood Composite material Hardwood Building material Lumber

So the back panel will wrap around the divider….more glue and clamps…mainly to the divider..
Wood Gas Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood

And the back of the compartment is now closed off.

Both the blank for the drawer and the back of the island needed trimmed for length…back needed a tight fight, the drawer…not too tight.. There is a 1 x rail above the drawer….I needed to find the exact center…and lay out for a dovetail socket, and chop out a 3/8" deep socket….
Wood Hardwood Gas Wood stain Lumber

I clamped the drawer front in place, to "back up" the rail, while I chopped….somewhere, I picked up a 1/4" long cut on the side of a finger?
Where the "kicker" goes across to the back of the island, needed a second such socket….this time, I used the vise on the bench…
Wood Urban design Composite material Landscape City

So, now I could glue the back into place…
Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood Art

And glue the kicker in place, too…
Wood Floor Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

Then I made the other 2 corner brackets…and drilled and counter-sunk all 4..
Saw Wood Tool Gas Miter saw

Then install with screws, and glue..
Wood Table Flooring Wood stain Floor

Then the other corner were done….thinner ones were for over the drawer front.
Wood Table Composite material Gas Hardwood

Haven't decided on which way the drawer front will look the best, yet. I place the last panel on the bench….
Wood Hardwood Table Lumber Plank

This will get made into the door. It will also get a rebate, to wrap around the divider's edge….Hinges will be on the leg side….needs flattened and trimmed to size, and the rebate milled. Swept the floor…
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Metal Auto part

And called it a day….about 3 hours worth….Letting things sit a day….
Stay tuned….

Attachments

#14 ·
Monday?

Sunday was too busy elsewhere, to go to the shop…and, even though the shop is closed on Mondays…had to get things moving….Had three panels, sitting around all clamped up, and doing nothing but taking up floor space..so…

Largest of the 3 was still sitting on my tablesaw…removed to clamps, trimmed the ends square, width was a hair too wide. Surfaced the better looking of the 2 faces flat, and as smooth as I could get it. Then a bit of glue, and some clamps..
Wood Gas Hardwood Automotive exterior Lumber

Glued to the legs only, this closes the end of the Island's door compartment. Since I needed those clamps removed from the smaller 2 panels…

One was trimmed to size. It also needed a rebate milled…
Wood Composite material Hardwood Building material Lumber

So the back panel will wrap around the divider….more glue and clamps…mainly to the divider..
Wood Gas Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood

And the back of the compartment is now closed off.

Both the blank for the drawer and the back of the island needed trimmed for length…back needed a tight fight, the drawer…not too tight.. There is a 1 x rail above the drawer….I needed to find the exact center…and lay out for a dovetail socket, and chop out a 3/8" deep socket….
Wood Hardwood Gas Wood stain Lumber

I clamped the drawer front in place, to "back up" the rail, while I chopped….somewhere, I picked up a 1/4" long cut on the side of a finger?
Where the "kicker" goes across to the back of the island, needed a second such socket….this time, I used the vise on the bench…
Wood Urban design Composite material Landscape City

So, now I could glue the back into place…
Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood Art

And glue the kicker in place, too…
Wood Floor Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

Then I made the other 2 corner brackets…and drilled and counter-sunk all 4..
Saw Wood Tool Gas Miter saw

Then install with screws, and glue..
Wood Table Flooring Wood stain Floor

Then the other corner were done….thinner ones were for over the drawer front.
Wood Table Composite material Gas Hardwood

Haven't decided on which way the drawer front will look the best, yet. I place the last panel on the bench….
Wood Hardwood Table Lumber Plank

This will get made into the door. It will also get a rebate, to wrap around the divider's edge….Hinges will be on the leg side….needs flattened and trimmed to size, and the rebate milled. Swept the floor…
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Metal Auto part

And called it a day….about 3 hours worth….Letting things sit a day….
Stay tuned….
Looks good. Ur wife getting excited over it?

Attachments

#16 ·
A door and a start on a drawer

Had the blank for the door…needed it sized to fit the opening…ends squared, both faces flattened, and a rebate done…
Furniture Table Wood Desk Chair

So the edge wraps around the divider. Will get a set of better hinges today, maybe.

Went out and bought a bit of lumber, the other day….a 1×6 x 8' Pine board ( sorted through 1/2 the rack to find a good one) a 1/4" x 2' x 4' Luann panel for a drawer bottom. The Middle shelf gets a 3/4" x 2' x 4' pine panel (will cut it down to fit, add the Ash edges, sit one end on a cleat, and screw through the legs for the other end)

Last night..was just going to haul the 1×6 to the shop, and get things ready for today…...in theory….but..board was a bit long, to just leave it sitting there, across half of the shop….

Crosscut to get a pair of drawer sides. Ripped down to width, kept the cut-offs from that….bead of glue, a couple clamps..
Wood Hardwood Flooring Rectangle Composite material

After cutting to length….one at each end of the drawer opening…now have guides for the drawer to follow.

Drawer front needed a tad bit off an edge, to match the sides better. Tested for fit…think it should work.

Then pins were milled..Pins first….
Table Rectangle Wood Architecture Floor

On both ends, of course..
Wood Line Composite material Roof Metal

Then used the pins to lay out for the tails…..and then a dry fit…
Wood Building Gas Engineering Machine

Then sweep the floor, and close the shop for the night….was a long day.

May try to do grooves, and dados and see if the plywood bottom can be cut to fit….

Stay tuned….

Attachments

#17 ·
Drawer done, hardware is installed....

Ok, dovetails were done…next, needed a groove milled to house the drawer's bottom panel…could use the Stanley #45..
Hand tool Motor vehicle Metalworking hand tool Tool Wood

Or…and old Plough Plane…1864 model..
Wood Bumper Gas Engineering Automotive exterior

Wound up using both. The old plough plane on the Pine sides of the drawer…the #45 on the Ash drawer front, and finish up the pine ones to depth, as the plough does not have a depth stop..

Then a dado was milled at the back of the drawer sides…and then cleaned up flat with a router…plane..
Wood Metal Auto part Font Sculpture

Then pilot holes and counter sink work…
Wood Tool Gas Machine tool Metalworking hand tool

Counter sink bit in the 6" sweep drill.
Back and the plywood bottom were cut to sizes needed….a bit of glue, a couple clamps. slide the back in place, 6 screws through the holes, and through the glue, and into the back of the drawer…slide the drawer bottom in place, check for square…
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Asphalt

Then, add 3 screws through the plywood bottom and into the drawer's back, to keep it square…
Wood Vise Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

And let this sit overnight…....

Clamps came off this morning…slid the drawer into the cabinet….seemed to fit…one back corner was a tad high, planed that down a bit.

Laid out the hardware for the door..
Wood Metalworking hand tool Wood stain Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Table

Along with a few tools….push drill for pilot holes for the hinge screws..

Then the Yankee screwdriver to install the screws. Handle need two hole drilled, for the bolts..
Wood Tool Hardwood Gas Workbench

Works for me…Yankee to install the bolts…then install the door in place…
Furniture Wood Table Rectangle Chair

Then add the latch to hold it closed…
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Then, the same with the drawer…needed 2 handles installed…
Wood Gas Composite material Hardwood Plywood

I also filled all the counter-bores on this side with Ash plugs, trying to match the grain…then laid the top in place
Table Wood Wood stain Gas Hardwood

Haven't attached it…yet…maybe tomorrow? Need to make the middle shelf, and install it…high enough that 2 lt pop bottles can be set under it. Then, maybe a finish…once all the plugs have been trimmed flush..
Stay tuned..

Attachments

#18 ·
Build a shelf, add a top..

And, maybe a PIP?

Page 4 of The Plan:
Rectangle Wood Grey Font Handwriting

Had to cut the 3/4" x 2' x 4' plywood panel down to size…even have a nice bit for "leftovers"..
Table Wood Floor Flooring Gas

Had to allow for the Ash edge pieces along 3 sides…and notch for the legs…
Wood Machine tool Automotive tire Engineering Gas

And cut the Ash parts to length….then a bead of glue, and a few clamps..
Wood Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine

Let this sit overnight….clamps then could be removed…and a cleat made..

Notches to fit around the legs…
Wood Electrical wiring Floor Flooring Wood stain

Other end will be attached to this cleat…once I get a bottle of Coke to the shop…
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Automotive tire Flooring

As these bottles need to be stored under the shelf….Attach the shelf to the cleat with a couple screws..
Wood Plank Composite material Rectangle Hardwood

And the bottle sets the height out at the legs. 2 counter-bored screws through each leg, and add the plugs…
Tested the drawer kicker…
Wood Rectangle Composite material Hardwood Flooring

To see how it will work. Installed all the plugs….wound up needing 33 plugs…
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Gas

Then came back, and trimmed them all flush….wide chisel, #60-1/2 Block Plane, sander…
Wood Table Rectangle Shelf Floor

Then drilled the corner blocks, to make slotted holes..
Wood Black-and-white Rectangle Parallel Tints and shades

So I can attach the top. Kicker also got a hole, dead centered, no slot…now the fun part….clear off the top of the tablesaw….decide which is the best face of the island's top….place that face down on the tablesaw….and then try to flip the cabinet over, and onto the top….hmmmm…need an extra body in the shop…

Everything moved to where I can work on it….angle drill to install the screws to hold the top in place, once I get things centered..
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Flooring Bumper

One screw, centered in each slot, and another into the kicker..top is attached. Figure I could stain all the areas I could reach….Witch's Brew time…
Wood Hardwood Tints and shades Lumber Beam

Can get to the insides, undersides of all the wood parts…..I wanted to then flip this over, onto the floor….
After two helpers showed up…I could pull the tablesaw out of the way…they could then rotate the cabinet over, onto it's own 4 feet….and I could do the tops…of the shelves, and the top itself…and any spot I missed…
PIP?
Table Desk Chair Wood Drawer

Had to stain the top edge of the door….not too happy with the drawer front…
Table Cabinetry Drawer Desk Writing desk

May try a second coat on the drawer front…sapwood needs to match the rest….
Stay tuned….Have bought a can of clear gloss varnish, and a few brushes….MIGHT get this done by the end of June?
Stay tuned

Attachments

#19 ·
Build a shelf, add a top..

And, maybe a PIP?

Page 4 of The Plan:
Rectangle Wood Grey Font Handwriting

Had to cut the 3/4" x 2' x 4' plywood panel down to size…even have a nice bit for "leftovers"..
Table Wood Floor Flooring Gas

Had to allow for the Ash edge pieces along 3 sides…and notch for the legs…
Wood Machine tool Automotive tire Engineering Gas

And cut the Ash parts to length….then a bead of glue, and a few clamps..
Wood Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine

Let this sit overnight….clamps then could be removed…and a cleat made..

Notches to fit around the legs…
Wood Electrical wiring Floor Flooring Wood stain

Other end will be attached to this cleat…once I get a bottle of Coke to the shop…
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Automotive tire Flooring

As these bottles need to be stored under the shelf….Attach the shelf to the cleat with a couple screws..
Wood Plank Composite material Rectangle Hardwood

And the bottle sets the height out at the legs. 2 counter-bored screws through each leg, and add the plugs…
Tested the drawer kicker…
Wood Rectangle Composite material Hardwood Flooring

To see how it will work. Installed all the plugs….wound up needing 33 plugs…
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Gas

Then came back, and trimmed them all flush….wide chisel, #60-1/2 Block Plane, sander…
Wood Table Rectangle Shelf Floor

Then drilled the corner blocks, to make slotted holes..
Wood Black-and-white Rectangle Parallel Tints and shades

So I can attach the top. Kicker also got a hole, dead centered, no slot…now the fun part….clear off the top of the tablesaw….decide which is the best face of the island's top….place that face down on the tablesaw….and then try to flip the cabinet over, and onto the top….hmmmm…need an extra body in the shop…

Everything moved to where I can work on it….angle drill to install the screws to hold the top in place, once I get things centered..
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Flooring Bumper

One screw, centered in each slot, and another into the kicker..top is attached. Figure I could stain all the areas I could reach….Witch's Brew time…
Wood Hardwood Tints and shades Lumber Beam

Can get to the insides, undersides of all the wood parts…..I wanted to then flip this over, onto the floor….
After two helpers showed up…I could pull the tablesaw out of the way…they could then rotate the cabinet over, onto it's own 4 feet….and I could do the tops…of the shelves, and the top itself…and any spot I missed…
PIP?
Table Desk Chair Wood Drawer

Had to stain the top edge of the door….not too happy with the drawer front…
Table Cabinetry Drawer Desk Writing desk

May try a second coat on the drawer front…sapwood needs to match the rest….
Stay tuned….Have bought a can of clear gloss varnish, and a few brushes….MIGHT get this done by the end of June?
Stay tuned
Well, 2 coats of clear gloss poly later….add 4 casters…hauled upstairs to the Kitchen…
Table Cabinetry Wood Drawer Wood stain

And, I think this will get posted as a Project…
Furniture Table Wood Rectangle Drawer

Thanks for looking in…
Table Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Wood

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.