LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

kitchen cabinets

33560 Views 80 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  EarlS
The Beginning

I have started a project that for me is enormous. A kitchen remodel with me building the kitchen cabinets. First came many weeks of planning and many drawings. The cut list has 294 parts just for the face frame and doors. I have purchased 19 pre finished 4×8 sheets of plywood and 250 board feet of 5/4 rough sawn cherry.

Product Font Wood Material property Pattern

Wood Wheel Flooring Floor Hardwood

Wood Tire Floor Flooring Rectangle

Before I could do anything I needed to build a rack for all the plywood. Note: would have been better to do this before delivery.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

Fixture Wood Wood stain Floor Hardwood

This weekend I started laying out the panels and started rough dimensioning the face frame parts. I have wood stacked Everywhere! Space has become a precious commodity.

I only have weekends to work on this project; I will try and post updates each Monday as to my progress for those who are interested.

Wood Drawer Floor Building Hardwood

Wood Table Flooring Building Floor

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
The Beginning

I have started a project that for me is enormous. A kitchen remodel with me building the kitchen cabinets. First came many weeks of planning and many drawings. The cut list has 294 parts just for the face frame and doors. I have purchased 19 pre finished 4×8 sheets of plywood and 250 board feet of 5/4 rough sawn cherry.

Before I could do anything I needed to build a rack for all the plywood. Note: would have been better to do this before delivery.

This weekend I started laying out the panels and started rough dimensioning the face frame parts. I have wood stacked Everywhere! Space has become a precious commodity.

I only have weekends to work on this project; I will try and post updates each Monday as to my progress for those who are interested.

I am very close to being in a similar situation to yours; I will be watching with interest!

Attachments

See less See more
The Beginning

I am going to keep close track to your blog. I can see a new kitchen in my future as well and I haven't gotten up the courage to start planning yet so I might as well watch and learn. I warn you though, I will ask lots of questions.

Attachments

See less See more
The Beginning

I am looking down the barrel of building a whole set of kitchen cabinets before knocking out the wall and installing them. So I am looking forward to getting inspiration (read courage) from your blog. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
The Beginning

Good luck. Its cool to get the materials upfront. I built this, but it took me a year as I bought as I could (retired & on disability)
Brown Cabinetry Property Countertop Building

Shelf Shelving Tableware Building Fixture

You certainly went to great detail in your plans, I just started with a sketch, a couple of critical dims, and have at it.

Keep us posted!

M

Attachments

See less See more
The Beginning

What's your design plan MC? Are you building them in-place, or in the shop? Are you planning to build individual units and connect them, or wall-length pieces?

Attachments

See less See more
The Beginning

Earlc I will answer as many questions as I can.

Madmark 2, nice cabinets, I hope it does not take me a Year! The cabinets look great, what did you use for the lights?

Richard Taylor, I started with sketches and then moved to detailed drawings. The cabinets will be built in the garage, not full wall length but continuous to each transition i.e range, sink base which extends out. I have also chosen a design that has a separate base for the lower cabinets.

Other design characteristic include: inset doors, 15 inch deep upper cabinets, 47 inch tall upper cabinets, and smaller glass doors on the top.

We started by removing a set of stairs for a butler's pantry (wife watches a lot of HDTV and DIY). I will build the pantry after the kitchen is done.

Attachments

See less See more
The Beginning

Big project. Very exciting though that you have a chance to do it. It looks like you're well-equipped in your shop, so I'm sure it will turn out beautifully. I'll be following along and looking forward to seeing it progress.

Speaking of butler's pantries, we bought this house a little over a year ago, and it had a large 10×12 laundry room. I put shelving up the two blank walls. Since the ceilings are 10 ft, I went a full 8 ft up. I'm an avid cook and need the space. I also keep things like finishes, glue and other things that don't do well in the Arizona heat in there. Finally, it houses my favorite cooking tool - my VacMaster VP215 chamber vacuum. That guy gets used almost every day.

It's nice you have the room to add one. There's never enough storage space, and it will sure help.

Attachments

See less See more
The Beginning

It is a big job, but very interesting. I do all of my face frames, cabinets, shelves, and drawers first. Then I build all of my drawer fronts and doors. Then I did all the finishing at once. That way I am able to do things repeatedly and that helps things move right along. Good luck, I am sure you will have a great set of cherry cupboards, to be very proud of.

Attachments

See less See more
A lot of sawdust.

Wood Landscape Flooring Soil Metal

For spending as many hours in the shop this weekend it does not seem like I got much done. I did finish rough dimensioning the 294 Parts! This took much longer than anticipated. I had a lot more waste than I thought I would. I budgeted for 25% scrap and barely had enough lumber. One 4' by 7" board left. If I make any mistakes I will need more lumber, I think I will order it now.

Wood Building Floor Flooring Hardwood

I built a rack with saw horses to start organizing the lumber and started to work on running boards on the jointer and through the thickness planer to the final 1" thickness. This process should occupy all of next weekend.

Wood Art Hardwood Engineering Machine

A few of the boards have many dark lines, too many to be gum pockets. I fear I may have some lumber with spalting. If there are only a few I can move these to the side panels.

Brown Wood Flooring Floor Natural material

Attachments

See less See more
A lot of sawdust.

Wood Landscape Flooring Soil Metal

For spending as many hours in the shop this weekend it does not seem like I got much done. I did finish rough dimensioning the 294 Parts! This took much longer than anticipated. I had a lot more waste than I thought I would. I budgeted for 25% scrap and barely had enough lumber. One 4' by 7" board left. If I make any mistakes I will need more lumber, I think I will order it now.

Wood Building Floor Flooring Hardwood

I built a rack with saw horses to start organizing the lumber and started to work on running boards on the jointer and through the thickness planer to the final 1" thickness. This process should occupy all of next weekend.

Wood Art Hardwood Engineering Machine

A few of the boards have many dark lines, too many to be gum pockets. I fear I may have some lumber with spalting. If there are only a few I can move these to the side panels.

Brown Wood Flooring Floor Natural material
It always feels like slow goings in this stage for me as well. But things really get going when assembly starts, that's when I want to be in the shop 24/7.

Attachments

See less See more
Weekend # 3 dust collector about to give out.

I do not have much to post this weekend. Spent the entire weekend jointing and planing the lumber and I am still not done. I have about three more hours of work before I can start building. After three yard bags and one full trashcan can of sawdust my dust collector is near done. It was given to me and I got a couple of years out of it so no worries. Will pick one up in another week.

I also solved the lack of space situation by renting a storage pod; anything not related to building cabinets has been moved out.

Packing materials Shipping box Packaging and labeling Wood Box

Attachments

See less See more
Weekend # 3 dust collector about to give out.

I do not have much to post this weekend. Spent the entire weekend jointing and planing the lumber and I am still not done. I have about three more hours of work before I can start building. After three yard bags and one full trashcan can of sawdust my dust collector is near done. It was given to me and I got a couple of years out of it so no worries. Will pick one up in another week.

I also solved the lack of space situation by renting a storage pod; anything not related to building cabinets has been moved out.

Table Wood Building Flooring Floor

Wood Interior design Cabinetry Flooring Wood stain

Packing materials Shipping box Packaging and labeling Wood Box
That's a lot of work right there. Can't wait to see the build. Too bad about your dust collector.

Attachments

See less See more
Demo Day

I did not spend anytime in the shop this weekend but instead spent the weekend tearing out our old kitchen, there is no going back now.

Wood Door Ladder Fixture Flooring

Window Property Wood Building Fixture

We have taken everything down to the studs so that we can move electrical, plumbing, gas, and HVAC lines. The floor will come out next.

When planning our kitchen I transferred measurements from my sketches to story sticks. This helped me find a couple of design errors before completing my final drawings. Story sticks were then updated with the final dimensions.

I have tacked the story sticks to the walls. They are now being used to identify the new utility locations and any areas I need to add nailers to support the upper cabinets. I have also taken the time to mark the stud locations on the sticks, this will be good information in the future.

Wood Plank Wood stain Hardwood Gas

Wood Wood stain Floor Plank Flooring

Next week I have a little more prep work but should be back in the shop again.

Attachments

See less See more
Demo Day

I did not spend anytime in the shop this weekend but instead spent the weekend tearing out our old kitchen, there is no going back now.

We have taken everything down to the studs so that we can move electrical, plumbing, gas, and HVAC lines. The floor will come out next.

When planning our kitchen I transferred measurements from my sketches to story sticks. This helped me find a couple of design errors before completing my final drawings. Story sticks were then updated with the final dimensions.

I have tacked the story sticks to the walls. They are now being used to identify the new utility locations and any areas I need to add nailers to support the upper cabinets. I have also taken the time to mark the stud locations on the sticks, this will be good information in the future.

Personally I think you're doing it right instead of chopping up drywall to retrofit utilities. Your final finish on the walls will be nice and consistent.

Attachments

See less See more
Demo Day

Another tip for marking and saving the stud layout. A client I was working with used a paper roll from an adding machine and layed out all the studs for each wall and labeled each of the rolls then kept them in a file. I've never done it but thought it was a good idea. Easy to save.

Attachments

See less See more
Demo Day

Wow, I like the way you Demo.

Attachments

See less See more
Demo Day

Tip: the flaps in the sides of the insulation go on top of the studs, not the sides. This way the covering sheet rock will seal the flaps on the top of the stud . . .

M

Attachments

See less See more
Demo Day

MC,
I wish I had read yours and JBay's tips on stud measurements before we remodeled our kitchen. I measured and documented all the studs. While it worked, both of your ideas are so much simpler and less likely to have inaccuracies.

Did you arrange for cooking elsewhere? We managed to set up a temporary kitchen in a portion of our great room by using some of the old kitchen cabinets. We even had "plumbing": a hose from the utility sink and a 5-gallon pail under the drain! I'm certainly glad those days are long since gone!

You're making good progress.

L/W

Attachments

See less See more
Demo Day

I'm curious why you are demoing the kitchen so soon in the process. Do you have cabinets ready to go? Are you building the cabinets and installing them?

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.