LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kids Rocking Chair - Almost finished

This is my first commisioned piece. No in progress pics on this one, but it's almost finished. 2 coats of Tung oil finish on it so far. It's a close replica of the antique chair the client brought to me. The only thing I really changed was the arms. The original arms were not very sturdy and had broken across the grain a couple of times and had been repaired.

I actually built 2 different chairs. The first one had square legs and wasn't working. I'll beef that one up and give it to my youngest grand daughter. During the original building phase I ended up buying a lathe. Great timing. After some experimentation I ended up turning the legs, back pieces and arms. Turned out not too bad for my first real time turning.

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

This is my first commisioned piece. No in progress pics on this one, but it's almost finished. 2 coats of Tung oil finish on it so far. It's a close replica of the antique chair the client brought to me. The only thing I really changed was the arms. The original arms were not very sturdy and had broken across the grain a couple of times and had been repaired.

I actually built 2 different chairs. The first one had square legs and wasn't working. I'll beef that one up and give it to my youngest grand daughter. During the original building phase I ended up buying a lathe. Great timing. After some experimentation I ended up turning the legs, back pieces and arms. Turned out not too bad for my first real time turning.

Thanks for looking
Very nice chair congrats on your first commission

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

Thanks for looking
Nice work there guy.. I will probably make one after I have grand kids.

13,555 Posts

Thanks for looking
Nice chair.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts

Thanks for looking
Nice looking rocker.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 more

The client liked the prototype and wants 3 more. So I have been working on this lately. Have all the pieces turned and fitted, made a couple of small changes from my prototype per the clients request. Finally into the home stretch on these and getting them all assembled. Chair 1 and 2 are still in clamps, chair 3 I have to remake the crest rail for. Had a couple of goof ups I just couldn't fix on it.

Chair 1

Chair 1

Chair 2

Chair 3

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
3 more

The client liked the prototype and wants 3 more. So I have been working on this lately. Have all the pieces turned and fitted, made a couple of small changes from my prototype per the clients request. Finally into the home stretch on these and getting them all assembled. Chair 1 and 2 are still in clamps, chair 3 I have to remake the crest rail for. Had a couple of goof ups I just couldn't fix on it.

Chair 1

Chair 1

Chair 2

Chair 3
this is looking nice…

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The end is in sight

I'm really excited now, the end is in sight. All 3 chairs are assembled, and sanded. I put the first coat of finish on them tonight before calling it a day. I think I am pretty glad to see them go, I'm getting burnt out on chairs now. They have been fun and challenging to build, but I am ready to get back to square projects for a bit, or as square as I can make them anyway…ROFL. I can understand how so many get hooked on turning. These chairs have been my first wood turning experience and it's been a lot of fun. The guy I get my lumber from actually gave me some small chunks he was splitting that looked like might have some interesting grain for candle sticks or something. Pens maybe as the next addiction…?

The finished chair pics will be posted in my projects once I am done with the finish. As always thanks for reading

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.