LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
501 - 520 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Next step is to plane one side of each of these flat to prepare them for surfacing via router jig. Need to bring them down to 1-1/4 inch thick with flat/parallel faces.

So excited to get the new bronze hand plane knob to add some weight to my sanssoo No 5 type 11 (that's the plane I also decided to do engine turning on).

·
Premium Member
28,513 Posts
pottz: this burn mark

Wood Art Hardwood Flooring Rectangle

Doesn't effect me in even the slightest since I will be milling the carcass out of the center of the board with the Shaper Origin

- DevinT
ha ha i saw it but no big deal.i just love how you strive for perfection.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
Spouse was looking at the wood for the planes and said it is really nice. I mentioned there was 4 more feet I had them remove.

"What? There's more? Go back and get it."

WHAT? A pre-approved purchase? I could hardly contain myself.

"Sure, I'll see if someone hasn't bought it already."

Was my muted response while I hid my excitement.

And, here it is. The other 4 feet of the 9 foot board. Which apparently I am to make a box out of, according to the spouse.

Table Wood Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood

Brown Wood Trunk Tree Wood stain

Brown Wood Textile Wood stain Artifact

Plant Wood Natural material Trunk Tree

While I was there, I took the opportunity to double my Ebony stock.

Brown Door mat Wood Rectangle Flooring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
The "Knot Farm" would make a very good accent piece for a box….maybe as part of a lid?

Yes, Handsaws can leave burn marks…
Table Wood Wood stain Rectangle Plank

Had to slow down a bit..
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Engineering Metal

Otherwise, that newly sharpened ( by me!) K-2 Speedster would nick that vise handle. Saw is a 8ppi….
Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle

Without even a line to follow, nor a knife wall…...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·
Burn marks from a hand saw? Well, I'll be a monkey's aunt!

Wait a minute …

Could bandit secretly be The Flash and he's not telling us?

That hand cut looks pretty good. I could definitely use more saws in my life (hence this thread).

Hey, speaking of which, did anyone else see on the Lee Valley website under their announcements that SawStop is going to sell a worksite portable saw? Lee Valley won't take pre-order for USA though. Interesting idea for a portable? We'll see I guess. I heard the patent will be expiring soon so they are likely doing this to get more products on the shelf before the competitors hit them against their existing product line.

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
The test cut was mainly to see IF the saw wanted to drift left or right…if it did, I could correct that with a pass with a stone…usually means a burr on one side, and needed to be stoned off.

The saw is by Disston. From their 1935 line-up of Keystone Saws….The etch on the K-2 Speedster would have included a race car. Was made until the early 1950s….

Seems to be a decent enough saw..
Motor vehicle Wood Auto part Engineering Automotive exterior

I have both the K-2, and the K-3 Pacemaker saws….both are 8ppi, 26" skew back saws

As for that perfectly square cut? I rely mainly on the Stanley No. 358 Mitrebox & saw….
This cut was just to test drive the saw after I had just finished sharpening it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
Speaking of etches, did you see James Wright's new video on using a 9V battery and saline solution to etch saw plates? Makes me want to buy a Cri-cut to make vinyl stickers for metal etching.

Kinda makes me want to try making my own plate.

501 - 520 of 607 Posts