LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resaw work to start

6 decent sized leftovers, problem being they are too thick…..3/4" would be nice for a large project….but not for a fancy little box. Solution would be to resaw them to 3/8" thickness. bandsaw more or less refuses such a job…..leaves more waves than the Mid Atlantic Ocean….hmmm

Ok, set up the rip fence on the tablesaw, and raise the blade as high as it can go….
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Hood Hardwood

Blade is 8-1/4", that is all the saw can handle…boards are a might wider..
Wood Outdoor bench Gas Hardwood Outdoor furniture

Decided to cut a kerf all around…
Wood Flooring Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood

With the blade as centered as I could get it….one board was almost TOO narrow…a tad more, and there would be a problem…..the section between the blade and the rip fence would have dropped down into the saw….not good.

Next, select a saw to complete the rip cuts….hmmm..
Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Wood stain

Saw over on the right…a Disston D8, 5.5 ppi, 28" rip saw…..then try different ways to hold the boards still enough, for the saw to work…
Wood Roof Hardwood Building Wood stain

Bench vise can open up just enough…
Wood Art Metal Composite material Pattern

use this for the 3 shorter boards….one problem….saw down too far..
Wood Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Metal

And run the risk of hitting the vise….these shorter boards tend to.."pop" open….for the longer boards, I want a bit more elbow room..
Wood Gas Art Metal Automotive exterior

28" saw, you want to use the entire length on each stroke…I would get down to about 1-2" above that C clamp, stop, flip the board over, and finish the cut from the other direction…..well above that clamp…
Wood Table Plank Hardwood Lumber

Came out like this. soon had 6 small boards ( box ends?)
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Wood stain

And 6 larger planks ( sides and lids?)
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Hardwood

They all will need planed flat, before I get to cutting for a box. Nice Cardio Workout, beats driving down to Lowes, and BUYING some of their over-priced Red Oak Project Lumber…..I tend to prefer the Poplar stuff, anyway.

Still have a few pieces of 1/4" plywood ( bottoms?) that should do the job. IF I happen to need some thin "filler" strips….still have these in Ash…
Wood Floor Flooring Rectangle Hardwood

Can be cut to any size or thickness….and according to how the grain needs to be….like for trim?

Stay tuned…..jack planes will be next. That 100 year old saw is back hanging on the tool box door..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bring on the planes

Time to flatten the boards a bit..
Scrub plane Wood Plane Smoothing plane Hand tool

Clamped the narrower of the longer boards into the vise…run a jack plane across to knock down the high spots..
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

A "Before & After"....and then after the other half was done…
Hood Wood Luggage and bags Bumper Motor vehicle

Not too bad?

Set #2?!
Wood Gas Table Lumber Metal
!
Jointed the edges a bit..
Wood Table Grey Rectangle Road surface

There was a beltsander in use, as well…
Set #3 took a bit more work…
Wood Table Plank Hardwood Lumber

Decided to use the tablesaw, and trim this up as a 4-square,,,before I went too much farther..
Wood Rectangle Plank Wood stain Hardwood

Then each went in to the vise for a bit…
Wood Rectangle Gas Nail Door

Finally, was able to line both up..
Wood Shade Rectangle Tints and shades Hardwood

I still think this is better than driving down to Lowes, and buying their over-priced "Project Boards" besides, they don't carry Ash.

Next up? Transform 4 of these into a box…that's next time…

Stay tuned…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Started on the corners

Well, 3 out of 4, anyway. Decided on how narrow to make these 4 boards..came up with 3-5/8" width…Tablesaw to rip 4 boards to that….squared the ends…wound up with a pair of 8" and a pair of 12" blanks..
Wood Composite material Gas Building material Automotive exterior

Went through and jointed the edges a bit….one had a taper to it..HAD. We have ways..
Wood Gas Table Lumber Metal

Fancy Jointer..all because I want each pair to sit together in the vise….so I can do a bit of lay out work…at least on the two shorter ones..
Wood Burin Tool Natural material Hardwood

had to plane a high spot down a bit. Chisel is also a lay out tool…sets the spacings for the fingers…part of an entire crew..
Saw Wood Tool Power tool Concrete saw

Was missing the marking knife. Soon had that back in the shop. First up, a marking gauge, set to the thickness of the boards I'm working with…
Wood Saw Tool Machine tool Gas

Then darken the lines with a pencil, so I can see them better…Then I can set out the spacings..
Wood Bumper Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Then use that small square to carry the lines down both faces.
Wood Wood stain Natural material Hardwood Rectangle

Something like this. Then, set one board aside, so I can work on the other. I COULD do both, but any sawing error tend to multiply between the two boards….and…I am not in THAT big of a hurry…Single board, slide it down in the vise… reduces any vibration from the saw..
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Seems to take about 8 full length strokes…per cut. Had to flip the board around,, had a bit tighter hold, that way..
Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Tool Bumper

All sawn. Time for that AWOL knife to do it's job..
Wood Electrical wiring Automotive tire Gas Cable

And yes, that thing is sharp….as my thumb found out..
Wood Finger Household hardware Door Gas

never even felt it go by the thumb….the reason for this knife work? To make a knife wall for the chisel to stop at…while I do some chopping. First from the show side…go about halfway down…
Ruler Wood Office ruler Tool Writing implement

Then, flip the board over, and finish the chopping…
Photograph Wood Gas Composite material Metal

Have to watch the swirly grain…had one finger go flying…
Wood Gas Tool Hand tool Metal

Anyway, consider these as "pins".....then I use these to lay out the other half of the joints….in the long side boards..
Wood Wood stain Tool Plank Hardwood

There are 2 extra cuts…a little square has to come off at the outside corners….same as before, do the knife wall, chop from both faces ( careful, sometime them little squares come flying straight back at you)..until a dry fit can be done…
Hand tool Wood Saw Hardwood Carpenter

This is #2 corner, where that finger broke off….Still use the existing "pins" for the lay out….other half of the joint must then match right up…..in theory…First corner always seems not to get that memo..
Ruler Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

As I said, I now have 3 out of 4 corners done. Am trying to get that swirly grain to wrap around the box….we'll see….may try Friday to finish the corners….mowed the yard today, kind of wore me out.

Stay tuned..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last corner done, dry fit, then the glue and Clamp Flash Mob

Ok, rest of the corners at done…
Automotive tire Wood Tread Bumper Gas

This was Corner #3…but it was the last of the corners milled…same as before…Enough that I could put all four corners together into a dry fit…
Wood Gas Motor vehicle Machine Engineering

So, how did the last corner turn out?
Wood Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood Plank

The one on the right. Not too hateful? While I had this all set up, had a stack of clamps stop by….needed to get preset, as to which sized clamp can be used…
Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Landscape

Just 8 clamps? Hmm….we'll see….noted I would need to cut a cou[ple spacers, to keep the sides from bowing in….

Bought a bag at Harbor Freight…
Font Wood Gas Cable Electrical wiring

Figured with all these fingers needing glue on them….I could use one to spread the glue, another to clean any squeeze out up…
Wood Gas Metal Metalworking hand tool Auto part

Then toss them into the glass of water I keep near the grinder…So, to start this ball a-rolling, 2 clamps 18" long..
Once they were tight enough, I stuck the long ends into the bench vise…to hold the box up, to where I can clamp things up….without chasing the box across the bench…
Wood Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine

8 clamps, so far….got two spacers cut and set in place, but….needed two more…and a couple more clamps..
Wood Gas Engineering Composite material Metal

C clamps to pull the other 2 spacers into place…..then notice the center of the ends were not closing together…added a third clamp to each end….total clamps? 12.

Six
Code:
 12", four
18", and the two c clamps…...let this sit a day….

Can't use the bench for the rest of the day….I can see about a lid..

Stay tuned, waiting on glue to dry, again…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of the clamps, lid work

Ok, clamps can come back off…SLOWLY..
Wood Gas Tool Bullet Toolbox

First 8..only leaves..
Wood Gas Tool Machine Metal

The 4 longer ones. I left the spacers inside…as one side wanted to bow in a bit..still, clean up began…
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

Beltsander to trim down any longer fingertips…smooth plane to level the rest…worked my way all around the outside of the box….also, checked on how well the grain flowed around the corners…I hope..
Corner #1…
Wood Gas Metal Engineering Plywood

#2 (note the fat finger?)
Wood Roof Concrete Composite material Urban design

I THINK this is #3 corner…
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Metal Automotive wheel system

Because this looks like #4 corner…
Wood Automotive tire Urban design Metal Concrete

I think…set this mess aside, for now…blanks for a lid…needed trimmed a bit..(too wide)
Wood Outdoor furniture Plank Hardwood Lumber

Bit of a gap in the middle? We have ways..
Wood Gas Metal Automotive exterior Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Joint the two together, so they will match each other….then glue, cauls, and clamps…
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Rolling Gas

Kind of shoots using the bench, for the day….need to reset the rip fence on the tablesaw, again…
Wood Wood stain Plank Hardwood Natural material

Rip a blank down the center…took 2 cuts, as I did not want the saw to eat the blank up….or, throw it back at me..at worst, it might nick the store-bought Pushstick….then reset again…to the center of these two blanks…
Wood Hardwood Composite material Lumber Plank

Means a different pushstick….I needed 4 blanks to make slips from. The plywood bottom panel will get glued to a wood ledge around the inside of the box….called a slip. They will get mitered at the corners.
Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Lumber

Means I need to find the "START" button on the #358 mitersaw…
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Grille

Stay tuned…..waiting on glue to dry…again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slips are showing, round-overs done

So…started up the mitersaw…and cut four slips for length. Each gets a bead of glue, and a couple clamps….started on the longer sides, attempting to pull the bowed in side back out to straight…then work my way around from there…
Wood Font Auto part Gas Bumper

Some joints were better..
Automotive tire Tire Wood Bicycle tire Tints and shades

But, always seems to be That One…
Wood Textile Automotive tire Gas Metal

Oh well…going to be covered with a plywood floor above, and a brass foot below. Set this aside for a day..
Removed the 3 main clamps from the lid blank..
Wood Wood stain Plank Flooring Hardwood

A little rough down the middle? We have ways…
Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Wood Saw

Besides a beltsander to remove dried glue…we have the Millers Falls No.9 to smooth things out…..decided to round the front two corners…
Table Wood Road surface Asphalt Gas

The end grain ends were rough, as well….along with burn marks from the bandsaw..so…
Wood Gas Metalworking hand tool Fastener Metal

We have edger tools. The Stanley No. 9-1/2 smooth the end grain out nicely. The spokeshave removed the burn marks….then, they both work on a different sort of round over..
Wood Tints and shades Font Human leg Pipe

Going around the curves was a bit tricky..
Wood Wall Brick Gas Automotive tire

Getting there….Block plane worked on the straight sections, spokeshave on the curves,,,,

By this time….I could cut a 1/4" plywood panel to almost the right size…block plane to adjust the fit. Brushed a bead of glue around the inside, right on the slips…and hopefully NOT up the insides….but, how to clamp the panel in place….I don't have the reach….or do I?
Brown Wood Beige Chair Table

Cauls were set up to press the plywood down into the glue….and a clamps or two was added to do the pressing..

letting this sit a day….have hardware to go shop for…lid can sit there, too..
Wood Rectangle Gas Hardwood Metal

Stay tuned…have not decided about the details for the inside of the box…1, or 2 trays? Stain the wood first, or add the hinges and latch first….brass feet before, or after the finish? Details, details, details…

Attachments

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Slips are showing, round-overs done

So…started up the mitersaw…and cut four slips for length. Each gets a bead of glue, and a couple clamps….started on the longer sides, attempting to pull the bowed in side back out to straight…then work my way around from there…
Wood Font Auto part Gas Bumper

Some joints were better..
Automotive tire Tire Wood Bicycle tire Tints and shades

But, always seems to be That One…
Wood Textile Automotive tire Gas Metal

Oh well…going to be covered with a plywood floor above, and a brass foot below. Set this aside for a day..
Removed the 3 main clamps from the lid blank..
Wood Wood stain Plank Flooring Hardwood

A little rough down the middle? We have ways…
Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Wood Saw

Besides a beltsander to remove dried glue…we have the Millers Falls No.9 to smooth things out…..decided to round the front two corners…
Table Wood Road surface Asphalt Gas

The end grain ends were rough, as well….along with burn marks from the bandsaw..so…
Wood Gas Metalworking hand tool Fastener Metal

We have edger tools. The Stanley No. 9-1/2 smooth the end grain out nicely. The spokeshave removed the burn marks….then, they both work on a different sort of round over..
Wood Tints and shades Font Human leg Pipe

Going around the curves was a bit tricky..
Wood Wall Brick Gas Automotive tire

Getting there….Block plane worked on the straight sections, spokeshave on the curves,,,,

By this time….I could cut a 1/4" plywood panel to almost the right size…block plane to adjust the fit. Brushed a bead of glue around the inside, right on the slips…and hopefully NOT up the insides….but, how to clamp the panel in place….I don't have the reach….or do I?

Cauls were set up to press the plywood down into the glue….and a clamps or two was added to do the pressing..

letting this sit a day….have hardware to go shop for…lid can sit there, too..
Wood Rectangle Gas Hardwood Metal

Stay tuned…have not decided about the details for the inside of the box…1, or 2 trays? Stain the wood first, or add the hinges and latch first….brass feet before, or after the finish? Details, details, details…
I don't comment often, but I really enjoy seeing your step by step builds. I always learn a thing or two.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lid re-worked, hinges installed...maybe a PIP

Well, first things first…clamps came off of the box…decided the top edges needed to all match each other, so the lid will indeed sit flat when I close it…we have ways..
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Since this Millers Falls No.9 was sitting out on the bench….might as well use it. 2 corners were a bit higher than the other two….not any more…..same with the slips, and the bottom edges of the box….
Wood Gas Hardwood Tool Metal

Same plane….keep checking until things will sit flat….like the lid…
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Gas Composite material

All everything is leveled on the underside…
Wood Rectangle Composite material Flooring Gas

But…got to thinking…the lid just didn't seem to "fit" the box….
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Machine

Front "porch was TOO big…..lid was also too wide….so, spent an hour this morning…"correcting" that…
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Gas Flooring

Cut 3/8" off of each end….then cut a finger lift detail….also noted a spot where the two boards were glued together…wasn't as flat as it should be..
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hardwood Automotive wheel system

Worked the high spot down a bit….I also had to go around, plane…spokeshave…and sand a new round-over to the edges…..box and the lid were then sanded to 220 grit….and then a test fit…
Wood Gas Metal Building material Rectangle

Then gather a few tools…
Saw Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Wood

2 clamps so the lid won't move, a candle to wax the threads of the screws. A square to set where the hinges will go, a pencil to mark where to drill pilot holes for them TINY screws….and a screwdriver to drive the screws…
Pilot holes….need a pilot hole drill bit?
Pneumatic tool Automotive lighting Automotive tire Drill Handheld power drill

Small nail, clip the head off, chuck it up in the drill…..easy as can be…
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tool

Since everything was sanded….might as well add a coat of stain….PIP time…
Wood Trunk Bedrock Artifact Hardwood

From the front…
Wood Table Natural material Trunk Rectangle

A front corner…..was trying to get the grain patterns to line up…about like herding cats..
Wood Table Rectangle Wood stain Trunk

On around to the back….then down to the other back corner…
Table Wood Rectangle Trunk Tree

And….yes…I did indeed stain the insides….
Wood Trunk Natural material Hardwood Gas

Each section was stained….set the brush down…pick up the rag, and wipe it down….worked my way around, even the underside….

Let this dry a day…..and see how it turns out…
Stay tuned…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lid re-worked, hinges installed...maybe a PIP

Well, first things first…clamps came off of the box…decided the top edges needed to all match each other, so the lid will indeed sit flat when I close it…we have ways..
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Since this Millers Falls No.9 was sitting out on the bench….might as well use it. 2 corners were a bit higher than the other two….not any more…..same with the slips, and the bottom edges of the box….
Wood Gas Hardwood Tool Metal

Same plane….keep checking until things will sit flat….like the lid…
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Gas Composite material

All everything is leveled on the underside…
Wood Rectangle Composite material Flooring Gas

But…got to thinking…the lid just didn't seem to "fit" the box….
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Machine

Front "porch was TOO big…..lid was also too wide….so, spent an hour this morning…"correcting" that…
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Gas Flooring

Cut 3/8" off of each end….then cut a finger lift detail….also noted a spot where the two boards were glued together…wasn't as flat as it should be..
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hardwood Automotive wheel system

Worked the high spot down a bit….I also had to go around, plane…spokeshave…and sand a new round-over to the edges…..box and the lid were then sanded to 220 grit….and then a test fit…
Wood Gas Metal Building material Rectangle

Then gather a few tools…
Saw Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Wood

2 clamps so the lid won't move, a candle to wax the threads of the screws. A square to set where the hinges will go, a pencil to mark where to drill pilot holes for them TINY screws….and a screwdriver to drive the screws…
Pilot holes….need a pilot hole drill bit?
Pneumatic tool Automotive lighting Automotive tire Drill Handheld power drill

Small nail, clip the head off, chuck it up in the drill…..easy as can be…
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tool

Since everything was sanded….might as well add a coat of stain….PIP time…
Wood Trunk Bedrock Artifact Hardwood

From the front…
Wood Table Natural material Trunk Rectangle

A front corner…..was trying to get the grain patterns to line up…about like herding cats..
Wood Table Rectangle Wood stain Trunk

On around to the back….then down to the other back corner…
Table Wood Rectangle Trunk Tree

And….yes…I did indeed stain the insides….
Wood Trunk Natural material Hardwood Gas

Each section was stained….set the brush down…pick up the rag, and wipe it down….worked my way around, even the underside….

Let this dry a day…..and see how it turns out…
Stay tuned…
Box has been finished as a Key Safe…
Wood Luggage and bags Bag Picnic basket Hardwood

Wood Bag Rectangle Luggage and bags Table

The silver key on the front of the lid/door was scroll sawn from 1/4" Ash scrap….and given a couple coats of silver spray paint…3 screws to attach it…
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Gas Font

A box/tray was added, for all them wayward keys, that nobody remembers where they go to..
Wood Rectangle Gas Wood stain Hardwood

4 Brass cup hooks added to an Ash bar, to hang key rings from….2 screws come in through the back panel, to attach the bar.

2 screws with washers, to attach the Key Safe to the wall.

Thanks for looking in! Has been posted as a Project.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.