LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Failure Turning My First Pencil Kit!

This is my first attempt at a pencil kit and it was marred with failures. First it was the off cut of lacewood, which was in the wrong orientation. Causing tear outs and catches. Followed by the switching to african padauk, only to have the first attempt at the pencil chip out. Finally, the end results were in sight and another set back, as the pencil eraser cap could not be seated correctly. I managed to solve the problem, by filing the cap down. Challenging project, but I learned a lot.

Here is this week's video: Failure Turning My First Pencil Ki

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Black Walnut Candle Holders

Black walnut is a great wood to work with. It cuts so nicely, sands well and finishes great. So, I couldn't resist getting my hands on these two 4×4x6 pieces of black walnut to attempt turning a pair of candle stick holders. This was a great project and I had a lot of fun with the challenges. The difficulty being a duplication of one holder to the other, without using calipers.

The end result turned out fantastic and here is what I learned. I think in the future I would rather a 4×4x12, so the wood grain and colors match better. Also, I need more practice duplicating designs, but then again, I did this by eye and maybe shouldn't be too hard on myself. Next time I might use calipers and see if I can copy an item closer to the original. I highly recommend this project for anyone getting into turning.

The design of these older appear to be a classic look (in my opinion). What do you think? What differences did you notice?

Here is this week's video: Black Walnut Candle Holders

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Black Walnut Candle Holders

Black walnut is a great wood to work with. It cuts so nicely, sands well and finishes great. So, I couldn't resist getting my hands on these two 4×4x6 pieces of black walnut to attempt turning a pair of candle stick holders. This was a great project and I had a lot of fun with the challenges. The difficulty being a duplication of one holder to the other, without using calipers.

The end result turned out fantastic and here is what I learned. I think in the future I would rather a 4×4x12, so the wood grain and colors match better. Also, I need more practice duplicating designs, but then again, I did this by eye and maybe shouldn't be too hard on myself. Next time I might use calipers and see if I can copy an item closer to the original. I highly recommend this project for anyone getting into turning.

The design of these older appear to be a classic look (in my opinion). What do you think? What differences did you notice?

Here is this week's video: Black Walnut Candle Holders
I tuned in and impressed the quality of the video and how well the candlesticks match! Well done sir!

Bob

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Harry Potter Back-scratcher!

I channeled my inner Harry Potter to make a wand backscratcher. I picked up a back-scratcher project kit and some red oak from home depot. Maxed out the length on the lathe and turned a stick. Well a stick with a handle, that also had a pommel and threaded insert.

It really does look like a magical wand, without the brass hand attached. This was an easy turn on the lathe and a fun project, while still being practical. I've been wanting a backscratcher for so long. Never have one when I need it and when I don't need it, I'm not thinking about it. Now I have one and it's a nice one too.

Here is this week's video: Back Scratcher

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Exotic Wood Koozie!

Beer koozie has been on my list of projects for a very long time. It just took a while to get the pieces and my imagination in right frame of mind. Until recently, I was not thrilled with the selection of wood and it felt like something was missing. The new box of exotics, which came unlabeled, gave me the pieces I think I was missing. I decided to give the koozie a try, and boy am I glad I did. This project turned out great!

I am fairly confident that the wood used is purpleheart and zebra wood. However, there is a yellow wood that did not come labeled and is not a soft wood. I believe, based on a little research that I did, the wood in question might be yellowheart. It felt like the zebra wood and the yellow wood had similar hardness while turning. Zebra has a janka hardness of 8.2kN and yellowheart has 8kN. Or it could have been the purpleheart I was feeling the hardness on, which is 11kN and Osage is 11.6kN.

I have no clue what the yellowish wood is, yellowheart, osage, other… I do know it looks amazing. What do you think it is?

Here is this week's video: Exotic Wood Koozie!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Spalted Ambrosia Maple Fruit Bowl!

Spalted Ambrosia Maple, just saying it sounds fancy. Maple is a nice wood. Ambrosia Maple is special. Spalted ambrosia maple is beautiful. Wood grain in general is like a fingerprint of a piece of art. When the fingerprint becomes a tattoo of art unto itself, it's more than the signature of the piece. It takes on another look, feel, persona, gesture, ambience… beauty.

I knew going into the piece it would be shallow and probably a fruit bowl, but I did not see this wood turning out so amazing. Also, I learned a little more about the kind of wood. Boring beetles make the extra look of the wood. When the tree closes and repairs the holes, it creates the incredible lines through the grain. Spalted, is another term discovered. I'm learning all the time and having fun along the way.

Here is this week's video: Spalted Ambrosia Maple Fruit Bowl!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
LSD on Bloodwood!

Bowl blank of Bloodwood, just in time for Halloween! This bowl turned out beautiful, then again, I'm bias. Tell me what you think of it.

I drew out the concept of the design and its close, not exact. The idea for the side of the bowl was to have a large bead that had crosscuts in it, like a large decorating tool might make. Above and below would be smaller beads to highlight the section. Unfortunately, I got lazy holding the tool on the final pass and got a catch in the middle of the top bead, which is why there is no top bead.

The design changed now that a portion of the bowl had to slimmed down. I was able to maintain a curve of the inside to match the outside. This was the real challenge for this bowl. Thinner walls then I've ever made, taller and deeper.

I think it will be a nice candy dish, even when it's not Halloween.

Here is this week's video: LSD on Bloodwood!

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
LSD on Bloodwood!

Bowl blank of Bloodwood, just in time for Halloween! This bowl turned out beautiful, then again, I'm bias. Tell me what you think of it.

I drew out the concept of the design and its close, not exact. The idea for the side of the bowl was to have a large bead that had crosscuts in it, like a large decorating tool might make. Above and below would be smaller beads to highlight the section. Unfortunately, I got lazy holding the tool on the final pass and got a catch in the middle of the top bead, which is why there is no top bead.

The design changed now that a portion of the bowl had to slimmed down. I was able to maintain a curve of the inside to match the outside. This was the real challenge for this bowl. Thinner walls then I've ever made, taller and deeper.

Great piece, and a lovely finish.

If you post on projects tab you may get more views.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
LSD on Bloodwood!

That shine juice really makes it pop!
The chatoyancy on the bloodwood is beautiful.
Great job.
Jon

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
LSD on Bloodwood!

Great piece, and a lovely finish.

If you post on projects tab you may get more views.

- Eric
Great! I'll give that a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
LSD on Bloodwood!

That shine juice really makes it pop!
The chatoyancy on the bloodwood is beautiful.
Great job.
Jon

- MrWolfe
Completely the wood that made this project a success. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Custom Hot Rod Shifter!

Here is a fun little project, if not for yourself, maybe a family member or friend. Shifters are something you can change and customize to fit your style or the look of the vehicle. In this case I turned a three-wood piece, in hopes that it matches slightly to the hot rod in question.

My uncle has built many race cars and races every weekend. Recently he got an classic vehicle back in his hands from the early 70's. He did an amazing job building it and it looks great, with a flat black top, satin tan bottom and an orange stripe separating the two other colors.

So, I tried to make a matching shifter from wood. I used black walnut for the top, padauk for the middle stripe and ash for the bottom for the custom shifter knob. He did not request this and knowing car guys particular on what they put in or on their car, I understand if he doesn't want to use it. This was simply a fun project.

Here is this week's video: Custom Hot Rod Shifter!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
2 Sexy Pens!

Sexy pens! I was requested recently at a party, to make pens for a couple of lady's, specifically my mother-in-law and step mother. They both agreed the pen they were to receive should be curvy and more feminine. Only one requested walnut and silver trim. The other got the matching wood and trim given out on father's day.

This was the first time I made curvy/sexy pens. I think they turned out great and I'm sure the lady's will appreciate them.

Here is this week's video: 2 Sexy Pens!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
First Funnel?!

I decided to finish off the last little pieces of black walnut and ash, thinking it could be a toothpick holder. I also thought I could use a wood tap and die set for a twist lid. Going into this, I wasn't sure what the shape or design would be, I just jumped in.

Turned the black walnut first and threading was no problem. However, the cylinder needed to be really long, which means it would need to go deep into the ash. So I had to make a small adjustment on how it would look in the end. I was hoping for a larger cap, but ended up with a small cap.

The ash was difficult to tap/thread. I'm not sure its just the hard wood, hole wasn't large enough or slightly angled going in. I managed to get it threaded and the black walnut fit nicely.

Turning it round and decorating it with the elf tool, I was ready to start sanding. On the final hand rotation before sanding I noticed the "funnel"! I cut to close to the wall of the bottle and punched through. I added CA glue from the outside to start the sealing process. Put some glue on the inside and sealed the capsule completely.

In the end, I could not decide if it's a toothpick holder, bottle, flask or Egyptian urn! What do you think it is (besides a sealed funnel)?

Here is this week's video: First Funnel!! Making a Bottle? Flask? URN? T-pic holder?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
DEATH of a LATHE - (WEN 3420t)

Ambrosia Maple Potpourri Box with Pewter Lid. That was going to be the title for this video. Little did I know the lathe was going to finally show its true colors and call it quits. The WEN lathe has served me well and taught me a great deal. I learned so many things while turning projects over the past 6 months, can I complain about it? Yes… yes I can… but we'll save that for another video.

I managed to get my hands on a Laguna Revo-1216 and finished what I started. The new lathe is a beast! With the previous lathe I had to take lite cuts, but not with the new lathe, it just eats it up! I'm getting off topic of what the project is and we can compare the two lathes another time.

The ambrosia maple turned into a nice potpourri box. The design was well thought out, yet failed to achieve its desired goal. I wanted to show case the various swirls and colors of the ambrosia. Instead, the embellishments on the side and top, I feel, distracts from the glory of the wood color and appearance. In the end, I think it turned out great.

Here is this week's video: DEATH of a LATHE

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
final review of the WEN lathe

WEN 8×12 3420T Wood Lathe - 7 Months old, 39 projects in and the lathe has died. This is my final review and look at the WEN 8×12 model 3420t.

- Weak motor
- Soft Metal (tool rest and head stock)
- No replacement parts
- Tool rest lowest setting not low enough
- Not meant for bowl turning

+ Variable speed control
+ 110v house outlet (no special electrical outlet required)

I may have pushed this little lathe beyond its manufactures suggested usage. To understand this is to first realize the manufacturer suggests not turning anything greater then 5 inch diameter, although it has 8 inches of clearance.

After talking with others, it is my belief that the lathe might actually be intended for small projects (pens) and not larger projects like bowls, boxes, platters, etc. Large projects will require large tools and thus the reason the tool rest is not able to get lower. But then why provide a screw plate for larger projects? Why have an 8 inch throw?

I will confess that at this point I must have used the 8×12 lathe as I assumed it was designed. It would probably still be running fine, if I did nothing but pen projects. For this reason, I am giving the lathe two stars.

1 star for getting me into to turning and another for holding out as long as it did.

I'm taking 3 stars away for misleading me to believe I could use all 8 inches of the lathe, weak motor and lack of replacement parts.

To see the video version of this review: Death of a Lathe!

Thanks

PS - I now have a Laguna Revo 1216… what a difference! Power! Solid! So excited!

·
Registered
7,053 Posts

WEN 8×12 3420T Wood Lathe - 7 Months old, 39 projects in and the lathe has died. This is my final review and look at the WEN 8×12 model 3420t.

- Weak motor
- No replacement parts

+ Variable speed control

I may have pushed this little lathe beyond its manufactures suggested usage. To understand this is to first realize the manufacturer suggests not turning anything greater then 5 inch diameter, although it has 8 inches of clearance.

After talking with others, it is my belief that the lathe might actually be intended for small projects (pens) and not larger projects like bowls, boxes, platters, etc. Large projects will require large tools and thus the reason the tool rest is not able to get lower. But then why provide a screw plate for larger projects? Why have an 8 inch throw?

I will confess that at this point I must have used the 8×12 lathe as I assumed it was designed. It would probably still be running fine, if I did nothing but pen projects. For this reason, I am giving the lathe two stars.

1 star for getting me into to turning and another for holding out as long as it did.

I'm taking 3 stars away for misleading me to believe I could use all 8 inches of the lathe, weak motor and lack of replacement parts.

Thanks

PS - I now have a Laguna Revo 1216… what a difference! Power! Solid! So excited!
Sorry for your lost. But you have recovered. Keep up the turnings.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

- Weak motor
- No replacement parts

+ Variable speed control

Thanks

Sorry for your lost. But you have recovered. Keep up the turnings.

- Eric
In the immortal word of Monty Python… "not dead yet!"

I might see if I can squeeze some more life out of it and turn it into a polishing station.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
First attempt at Mortar & Pestle

It almost seems like a rite of passage to turn a mortar and pestle. For this project, the wood I choose was ribbon sapele. I got myself a 5 inch round by 4 inch tall piece for the mortar and a 3×3x6 for the pestle. Both were kiln dried from Got Wood? and ready for the lathe.

The mortar was the first on the bed and turned round quickly while on the worm screw. I designed the outside to be holdable with a firm stout base. Spun it around on to the chuck and hollowed out the compression chamber about 3.5 inches deep, with gradual sloping sides to the nicely rounded bottom.

Moving on to the pestle, between centers, turned round and created a tenon. I put the chuck back on the lathe and firmly grabbed the sapele pestle blank. It took form quickly, making the bulbus end and slender handle. Sanded and finished before swinging it around to work the smaller end.

All the pieces were completed with Mahoney's walnut finish, which is 100% food safe. I typically use O.B. Shine Juice, but depending on who you talk to (read about) there is debate on the food safety. I do not feel comfortable with it for this application and went with something I am very confident with.

Here is this week's video: Mortar & Pestle from Ribbon Sapele, my first attempt at this project.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First attempt at Mortar & Pestle

It almost seems like a rite of passage to turn a mortar and pestle. For this project, the wood I choose was ribbon sapele. I got myself a 5 inch round by 4 inch tall piece for the mortar and a 3×3x6 for the pestle. Both were kiln dried from Got Wood? and ready for the lathe.

The mortar was the first on the bed and turned round quickly while on the worm screw. I designed the outside to be holdable with a firm stout base. Spun it around on to the chuck and hollowed out the compression chamber about 3.5 inches deep, with gradual sloping sides to the nicely rounded bottom.

Moving on to the pestle, between centers, turned round and created a tenon. I put the chuck back on the lathe and firmly grabbed the sapele pestle blank. It took form quickly, making the bulbus end and slender handle. Sanded and finished before swinging it around to work the smaller end.

All the pieces were completed with Mahoney's walnut finish, which is 100% food safe. I typically use O.B. Shine Juice, but depending on who you talk to (read about) there is debate on the food safety. I do not feel comfortable with it for this application and went with something I am very confident with.

Here is this week's video: Mortar & Pestle from Ribbon Sapele, my first attempt at this project.
Nice video, thank you for sharing

21 - 40 of 152 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.