LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

"Jorgensen" Handscrews

1060 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  MinnGuy
Hey Gang,

Went onto my local big box HI center this morning, wanting to look over their handscrews.
Turns out the blue store had only 10 size available, but that's OK, as that size works well for most normal applications, right?
Branded on one of the jaws in large letters "Jorgensen" and a few other words. Priced at $20 each. Faor enough, if it's made in the USA. BUT: The small round sticker on the end of the jaw says in VERY tiny print "Made in China".
I'm not a huge fan of supporting China, especially since it's gift of Corona to the world, but wanted to take a closer look at this clamp.
I had just looked at 10 inch handscrews at HF the other day, spending some time examining how it eas made, how easily it operated and all that.
Guess what? THE "JORGENSEN: CLAMP IS EXACTLY THE SAME CLAMP AS THE HF :pITTSBURGH" CLAMP. Exactly the same. Except for the name branded on the jaw, which apparently justifies a 50% increase in price over the HF version.
Now, if I were John Q. Dumass walking into the big box and saw the Jorgensrn name, I would probably be led to think it's gotta be better quality than the discount store, amd may shell out twice as much for the EXACT same clamp.
Makes me wonder what brand this clamp REALLY is….
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Agreed. I go out of my way to avoid buying anything from China. I much prefer made in USA or Europe.
It's obvious what the brand is, is whatever is stamped on the clamp. The question is who is the manufacturer? A similar case for Festool screw clamps and Bessey screw clamps. Same clamps, different color. Both made by same company, one is far less expensive.
I just hate to see some poor saps getting suckered into buying a "name brand" item, and getting a rebranded knock-off.
I mean, I'd be mad as Hell if someone tried to sell me a Bulova watch made by Timex, at a Bulova price for example, or a Mercedes made by Volkswagen…..
I just hate to see some poor saps getting suckered into buying a "name brand" item, and getting a rebranded knock-off.
I mean, I d be mad as Hell if someone tried to sell me a Bulova watch made by Timex, at a Bulova price for example, or a Mercedes made by Volkswagen…..

- Bearcontrare
It's just a matter of time before everything is made in China. Bottom line: How to maximize profit. I remember many years ago, some components on the submarine, "Thresher" were made in Taiwan. After the Thresher went down, we stopped importing materials for submarine construction. 40+ years later, I don't know if that policy is still in effect. I suspect some components of military vehicles like Ford and GM trucks come from off shore, maybe even China. It is very hard to track the origin of any product today. When the label reads; "assembled in the U.S. using foreign materials", we don't know what foreign country is used and even if we knew, that country could be sourcing their material from another country (China). Except for maybe agricultural products, China has a presence in everything we buy.
Jorgenson sold the business a few years ago, it was apparently bought by a Chinese Company.
I have some of those cheap clamps, bought years ago when Rockler or someplace had them on sale for a few $ each. They do the jobs I need them to.

One thing I noticed is they use typical threaded rod with machine screw threads whereas the clamps of old I remember from JHS shop had ACME threads.

Spend any time looking at the HF stuff and you will notice many up-badged versions being sold elsewhere for more
$
Jorgenson sold the business a few years ago, it was apparently bought by a Chinese Company.

- bondogaposis
Was this about the same time they switched from wood handles to the god awful plastic? I have a modest collection of Jorgenson Cabinetmasters with wood handles that I absolutely love. Every time I use them I wish I had bought out the entire stock when the wood handles went away. I occasionally look for them used, but have never caught sight of a single one. Sadness…
There are companies that buy other companies simply to acquire the name and the reputation it carries. And there are companies that copy tool designs using less expensive materials. Compare Schaaf woodcarving gouges to Pfeil (Swiss Made) - impressive, but they will likely never offer the variety of shapes and sizes.
Then you need to add to your thought process. Made in USA from parts made in XYZville. It isn't always clearly marked on the product. Yet if those words are available somewhere then said company can retain made in America status. Talk about BS.

In an attempt to make "greater profits" almost ALL of the USA manufacturing was sent elsewhere. At that time China was gobbling it all up. China was just trying to become a mass producer. I find it interesting people blame them instead of the American companies/workers that chased that work away.

I'm with Splint. if it works, use it.

Cause the American dream of made in the USA and well paid workers doesn't reconcile with the American dream of I want it cheap, and plentiful.
FWIW, Dubuque Clamp Works wooden clamps are still made in USA and the larger sizes have ACME threads.
^But…for how much…..would be the next question asked.
I was on Ebay a couple of years ago and found a guy in Boise selling Jorgenson clamps at a really great price. I ended up getting a dozen of the big ones and have never regretted it. I also got to visit my son and grand kids in the process.
I really love having those clamps. They are great.
^But…for how much…..would be the next question asked.
Well, as therealSteveN said "the American dream of made in the USA and well paid workers doesn't reconcile with the American dream of I want it cheap, and plentiful." :)

I bought mine at Coastal Tool
But if I lived near Dubuque, Iowa I'd be tempted to nose around and see if anyone carried them locally
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.