LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Hey all!

I've just put together a Grizzly G0490W - 8" Jointer with Parallelogram Beds and started to check/ set up the beds before using it. How accurate do you guys set this up before it's acceptable to use?

I'm using "this 50 straight edge and started by checking the individual beds with some feeler gauges.

The outfeed table has a dip in the center about .0015".
The infeed table has dip at end furthest from the cutter head (far right) by about .003".
The outfeed table is also .0015" higher on front vs. the back towards the fence.

Are all of these things "close enough" to deal with and start aligning the infeed table to be coplanar with the outfeed?

When it's off like this do you just lose more material after planing & ripping? or will joints actually be off.

Thanks for the help!

· Registered
874 Posts
Considering the specifications of the straight edge you are using is higher than the numbers you are reporting the measurements are more or less meaningless and simply beyond your measuring devices ability to define.

If I was confident in your numbers I would say those are more than flat enough tables for woodwork, that is very near as good as you will find on a jointer of any caliber. Whether the numbers are actually accurate or not I will bet the tables are plenty flat enough for accurate woodwork. We often talk in terms of .001" but the reality is few woodworkers (that are not also metal workers) rarely have measuring devices that can measure tables to that level of accuracy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.