LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I picked up the Delta DJ-15 jointer this afternoon, it was missing the guard so I ordered that already off of ebay, now I want to order new blades although these are not too bad but have a few nicks in them. Looking on ebay there are a few choices of blades, Delta brand is of course the most costly, then there are 22-32 dollar sets. Some say V2 and some say M2 high speed steel. Does anyone know if the Delta brand is three times better for the 3 times higher price and are they which HSS?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
i want to use it NOW, haha, it would be a week turn around for these to get back
And how long would it take to order and have delivered off e-bay :)

Most local places can do it in a day or two unless they send them out. Get them sharpened, and order a set of Freud or other suitable blades so you have a spare set.

Cheers,
Brad

PS: Or just use the ones that are in there if they are reasonably sharp. If it leaves a ridge from the nicks, shift one of the knives over a bit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
theres no place close by me that sharpens anymore, it would be a week turnaround unless I want to drive to the north suburbs of Chicago and I don't. There used to be a place not far from here but he passed away. I ordered a set anyways, they will be here by Thursday. I won't be without a extra set of knives anyways, I have more than one saw blade also

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have the DJ20, and I have used blades from Grizzly, Titan, and others. To me the HSS straight knives are all about the same. I pay about $18 for a set of three 8" knives.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I thought these jointers were made in Brazil. There is a big sticker on the base cabinet that says made in the USA, but on the jointer base itself says its made in Taiwan. If a person were to by new, why pay the extra for the Delta name anymore? Mine as well buy the Grizzly

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Im with you, why buy new?
I would much rather buy something that is old and used (but loved) and spend a bit of time tweaking it in.

BTW, I thought these jointers were made in Brazil. There is a big sticker on the base cabinet that says made in the USA, but on the jointer base itself says its made in Taiwan. If a person were to by new, why pay the extra for the Delta name anymore? Mine as well buy the Grizzly

- Deano56

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I have the DJ20, and I have used blades from Grizzly, Titan, and others. To me the HSS straight knives are all about the same. I pay about $18 for a set of three 8" knives.

- pintodeluxe
No their not. HSS varies greatly in quality.

Personally, I've not been happy with Grizzly plane blades. I suspect they are Chinese steel.

I just bought a set of 4 10" blades from from my sharpening guy who makes them himself from HSS stock.
Yeah, they were 30% higher cost, but he guaranteed the steel is better.
We'll see.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think I will upgrade to at least a 8" machine before I spend that on the H head. Already wished I had a larger machine today as some of the rough white oak was 6 1/2" wide. I miss my old Northfield jointer with the 6' bed. Also I think the 3/4 hp motor is a little weak, 1 hp should have been the minimum, but a fresh set of blades will be good help for now. I can't see straightening up longer boards than 8" with that jointer. Do you guys with a 6" jointer?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as the HSS knives, I'm sure you get what you pay for, I think the Titans are some place in the medium range, I di s some for less. I will ask the sharpening company what they have in stock. They make their own saw blades so I assume they have knife stock too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wouldn't you know it, a Powermatic model 34 is on Craigslist in Chicago for 500.00. I would have taken that over the Delta any day for the extra 10" of bed length and one that's like new. Oh well

·
Registered
279 Posts
Buy it and sell the one you just bought. No biggie. If you shop wisely with used durables it never costs you much, especially power tools that appreciate over time.

FWIW you can still joint wider boards with your jointer. Joint what you can, then level off the rest with a hand plane, or set the jointed part on a strip of plywood and run it through the planer. Wa-la.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.