JET - JBM-5 Bench Mortising Machine (Rating: 4)

I have been using my JBM-5 for over 3 years now, and consider it a good investment for my home workshop. I haven't kept track of the number of mortises I have done with it, but just about everything I build uses mortise and tenon joinery.

The JBM-5 fence can be a pain to set. The fence is attached to a steel hex rod that is held in place by a thumb screw. There is no rack & pinion fence adjustment (like the one on Delta's mortiser), so getting the workpiece positioned correctly on the table takes soime patience. If the mortises are to be centered, I strike a center line on the workpiece, lower the tip of the auger (with the power off) to put a dent in the workpiece, then flip the workpiece end-for-end and repeat. If the mortise is offset, I use an adjustable mortising gauge to mark the position, then (with the power off) set the chisel to hit the line. This sounds more complicated than it is, and after some practice, it gets pretty easy.

The stock table is pretty small (again, Delta's machine has a much larger table), so I retrofitted my JBM-5 with the mortise table from Rockler (as shown in the photo) and solved that problem.

I mounted it on a plywood base with a cleat across the front so I can keep it stabilized on my bench with only one clamp.