LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a jet 6" jointer off Craig's list. I have a couple issues with it. First when I try to raise or lower the infeed table the hand wheel seems to be stuck. The safety pin in the rear is engaged and I'm not able to release it. Anyone have a similar issue? Second when I try to edge joint a board after face jointing it is not. 90 degrees. When the fence is square to the infeed table it is slightly off on the out feed table. Is this a coplaner issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yep, you need to pull the safety pin. It is there to prevent the operator from making cuts deeper than 1/8". However, it needs to be released to go back to a typical light cut. Move the height adjustment crank a little bit to free the pin.

The fence out of square could be due to a coplanar problem (most likely problem). Use brass shims to bring all four corners of the outfeed table into one plane, square to the fence.
The fence could also be warped (less likely problem).

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Check each wing with a straight edge. Then check both wings with straightedge and feelers to see if coplanar. Only way to adjust the coplanarity of the wings is with shims in the dovetailed ways as suggested. I used coke can strips on mine but I stupidly adjusted the infeed wing so I leave it set to take a light cut. Someday I will shim the out feed table. The safety pin should come out with some patience. I take about a 1/32" per pass and it works like w charm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.