LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sketchup Design

A friend of mine has been telling me for a while that he had shown his parents my website and that they love my work and wanted me to make them something.

Well they eventually contacted me and commissioned me to make a table for them.

They bought a lamp from an artist named Brian Giambastiani, which looks like a Jellyfish. The head, which illuminates, is made of blown glass, and the tentacles are copper wire. It is about 40" tall.

So my challenge was to build a table that would compliment the lamp. Now keep in mind, my client's home is very eclectic in style, with lots of different colors, curves, shapes, and textures. She loves things that are other than ordinary, and practically every piece of furniture in the house is an individual art piece.

So this is the design I came up with, and she loved it…

I plan to use blue aniline die on the figured maple top to make the grain "pop" like an electric guitar. It will finish something like this: (random guitar photo from the internet)

This is what it will look like in my client's home with a simulated Jellyfish lamp sitting on it. It is going to sit in a little alcove by the front entranceway…

Feel free to post comments. I will blog the whole building process.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Sketchup Design

A friend of mine has been telling me for a while that he had shown his parents my website and that they love my work and wanted me to make them something.

They bought a lamp from an artist named Brian Giambastiani, which looks like a Jellyfish. The head, which illuminates, is made of blown glass, and the tentacles are copper wire. It is about 40" tall.

So my challenge was to build a table that would compliment the lamp. Now keep in mind, my client's home is very eclectic in style, with lots of different colors, curves, shapes, and textures. She loves things that are other than ordinary, and practically every piece of furniture in the house is an individual art piece.

I plan to use blue aniline die on the figured maple top to make the grain "pop" like an electric guitar. It will finish something like this: (random guitar photo from the internet)

This is what it will look like in my client's home with a simulated Jellyfish lamp sitting on it. It is going to sit in a little alcove by the front entranceway…

Looks Sweet mate and your getting good on the whole SU design cant wait to see the finished peice

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sketchup Design

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape Blake, cool design, did you consider doing something with the profile of the apron (similar to the edge of the top)? Might be too busy but something to chew on.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Sketchup Design

and to think that you were going to give it all up. Looks great man

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sketchup Design

Wow, neat Blake….......... can't wait to see the finished product. Those legs are going to be a challenge????

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Sketchup Design

HI BLake, Very nice design. I think you will have captured the feel of the jellyfish. Please post photos when you are finished or during the process.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Sketchup Design

Great design Blake. I'm betting the table will surpass the jellyfish piece. What do you plan on making the legs from?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Sketchup Design

Jelly, of course!

13,555 Posts
Sketchup Design

The table going to be a challenge to build but I think you can do it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sketchup Design

Extraordinary! Very nicely rendered. I'm sure your eclectic client will be just a pleased with the final result. Nice going, Blake.

always,
J.C.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Sketchup Design

That's a wild one cool design.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sketchup Design

Good looking design Blake!

Are you planning to make the tentacles all uniform in position and shape, or are you going unique with them?

There was a similar multi-legged table with unique legs on the back cover of FWW at some point this year. I can't for the life of me remember when though.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Sketchup Design

Sorry the jelly fish just definitely doesn't do it for me but your table will be nice I have a book with a similar table in it with metal legs , it looks great my 2 cents Alistair

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sketchup Design

Blake,

Your creativity never seizes to amaze me. I think you captured the essence of the light without being too literal. I cannot wait to see you blog this one. Especially the legs and the finish work on this.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Getting Started... I found my Lumber!

I went to a place called "Global Wood Source" in San Jose, which is the most amazing place I've ever been for lumber. The owner travels around the world in search of only the best and most amazingly figured woods. He's got stuff you can't find anywhere else. Check out their website and if you are anywhere near San Jose you have to stop by.

Anyway, I found the perfect lumber for my table top. Three slabs of figured maple over 2" thick. I also bought the maple for the legs, and the mahogany for the apron. And while I was at it I stocked up on mahogany 3×3 "table leg stock" for future projects, as well as a few more impulse buys. Once you get on a roll like that "Russ" starts giving you great deals on stuff. I think I was probably their best customer that day… or week? It was the best lumber shopping spree I've ever had… and it happened to be my birthday, so it was a good day :)

This is what my truck looked like when I came home:

THE TABLE TOP

Luckily I have a friend in Santa Cruz who has a large woodshop. I had to use his 19" bandsaw, 12" tablesaw, and 15" planer to get my table-top slabs milled down to a manageable size.

Here are the three rough slabs in my friend's shop. We arranged them in a way that showed off the best figure.

Here they are back in my shop now that they've been planed and jointed. They are staggered in a way that makes the figure look the most continuous. I will chop them to length last.

One of my favorite tools to use:

Yum, Biscuits!

I glued it up in two stages. ONE…

TWO…

Now, as you can tell from my original Sketchup, I had originally planned to have a natural edge in the front of the table.

But nothing was available that fit all my criteria. So I found that piece with the long curved void through the middle and thought I would put that in the front of the table instead.

But as I was clamping that piece on the uneven tension broke the front of that void. I didn't even flinch. I knew instantly that it was a good thing, and I knew just what to do. It had been bugging me the whole time anyway.

So I put the giant glued-up table top on my bandsaw and turned that void into a "semi-natural edge."

Now that I actually have sharp hand tools (thanks to my best friend the WorkSharp) I am starting to reap the benefits. I got to enjoy the quiet, therapeutic sattisfaction of smoothing the top with my good old Stanley No. 5.

THE LEGS

I took some measurements right out of sketchup to draw the leg curves on to MDF to make the lamination forms.

I am making two forms, so I will glue up the 8 legs in four stages. Each form is 1 1/2" thick (two layers of 3/4" MDF) to accommodate the 1"x1" legs. So I attached all four layers and cut them together on the bandsaw:

Here are the two forms, each glued and screwed to their bases. In the background are the free-moving "mates." The maple strips will be clamped between the two halves and pressed flat against the base. The reason they are outside is that they have received two cans of spray-on shellac to keep the lamination glue from sticking to the forms.

One of the forms back inside on my bench, ready for glue up (standing on edge while the shellac dries)

Here is the maple for the legs:

Here is a shot of the set-up for ripping the strips. This is a very tedious job, because each of the eight legs needs ten 1/10" strips to end up 1" thick. So 80 four-foot long strips. Its probably time to sharpen my ripping blade, too.

I had to stop after making 20 strips, enough for my first two legs. But I won't change the tablesaw set-up until all the strips are cut. I didn't have time to start mixing the glue so I will probably get to that tomorrow.

Total building time so far: About 9 hours.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts

I went to a place called "Global Wood Source" in San Jose, which is the most amazing place I've ever been for lumber. The owner travels around the world in search of only the best and most amazingly figured woods. He's got stuff you can't find anywhere else. Check out their website and if you are anywhere near San Jose you have to stop by.

Anyway, I found the perfect lumber for my table top. Three slabs of figured maple over 2" thick. I also bought the maple for the legs, and the mahogany for the apron. And while I was at it I stocked up on mahogany 3×3 "table leg stock" for future projects, as well as a few more impulse buys. Once you get on a roll like that "Russ" starts giving you great deals on stuff. I think I was probably their best customer that day… or week? It was the best lumber shopping spree I've ever had… and it happened to be my birthday, so it was a good day :)

THE TABLE TOP

Luckily I have a friend in Santa Cruz who has a large woodshop. I had to use his 19" bandsaw, 12" tablesaw, and 15" planer to get my table-top slabs milled down to a manageable size.

Here are the three rough slabs in my friend's shop. We arranged them in a way that showed off the best figure.

Here they are back in my shop now that they've been planed and jointed. They are staggered in a way that makes the figure look the most continuous. I will chop them to length last.

Yum, Biscuits!

TWO…

Now, as you can tell from my original Sketchup, I had originally planned to have a natural edge in the front of the table.

But nothing was available that fit all my criteria. So I found that piece with the long curved void through the middle and thought I would put that in the front of the table instead.

But as I was clamping that piece on the uneven tension broke the front of that void. I didn't even flinch. I knew instantly that it was a good thing, and I knew just what to do. It had been bugging me the whole time anyway.

So I put the giant glued-up table top on my bandsaw and turned that void into a "semi-natural edge."

Now that I actually have sharp hand tools (thanks to my best friend the WorkSharp) I am starting to reap the benefits. I got to enjoy the quiet, therapeutic sattisfaction of smoothing the top with my good old Stanley No. 5.

THE LEGS

I took some measurements right out of sketchup to draw the leg curves on to MDF to make the lamination forms.

I am making two forms, so I will glue up the 8 legs in four stages. Each form is 1 1/2" thick (two layers of 3/4" MDF) to accommodate the 1"x1" legs. So I attached all four layers and cut them together on the bandsaw:

Here are the two forms, each glued and screwed to their bases. In the background are the free-moving "mates." The maple strips will be clamped between the two halves and pressed flat against the base. The reason they are outside is that they have received two cans of spray-on shellac to keep the lamination glue from sticking to the forms.

One of the forms back inside on my bench, ready for glue up (standing on edge while the shellac dries)

Here is a shot of the set-up for ripping the strips. This is a very tedious job, because each of the eight legs needs ten 1/10" strips to end up 1" thick. So 80 four-foot long strips. Its probably time to sharpen my ripping blade, too.

I had to stop after making 20 strips, enough for my first two legs. But I won't change the tablesaw set-up until all the strips are cut. I didn't have time to start mixing the glue so I will probably get to that tomorrow.

Hey Blake, this is a nice #9,000 LJ blog entry ;)
Keep building!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

THE TABLE TOP

Yum, Biscuits!

TWO…

THE LEGS

nice job blake. im really curious to see how this one looks in the end

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

THE TABLE TOP

Yum, Biscuits!

TWO…

THE LEGS

Blake, this is coming together nicely. I love the figured boards that you chose for the table and putting the "natural edge" on the top the way you did looks pretty good. I have to admit when I looked at the first set of photos I was wondering how you were going to treat the void but this works much better, in my opinion.

·
Registered
237 Posts

THE TABLE TOP

Yum, Biscuits!

TWO…

THE LEGS

Looks good blake, thats some really nice maple!

·
Registered
626 Posts

THE TABLE TOP

Yum, Biscuits!

TWO…

THE LEGS

Blake, Nice job, I'm looking forward to the leg glue up and the technique of making them. The table top is awesome a super thick slab of wood will make this a rugged piece of furniture. Would you consider slightly contouring the back two corners just enough to get rid of the squareness on the back side it may help give this table more of a "jelly" feel.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.