LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been unable to work in my shop for about 8 months. I came back to a table saw and band saw table with a light bit of rust.

There wasn't that much surface rust, but there seemed to be a number of pits. I:

- Cleaned with mineral spirits
- Sprayed with Boeshield RustFree and let sit for 60-120 seconds
- Scoured with a scotch brite pad - a little extra force at the pits
- Wiped off RustFree
- Did a second application of RustFree
- One more cleaning with mineral spirits

Unfortunately I still have some pits that appear dark. I'm fine with leaving them and getting back to work, but I'm assuming that these could lead to rust growth continuing and the pits expanding? Do I have all of the rust out / How do I know when I get it out / How do I get it out?

Would love to hear any experience you all have with getting your cast iron tables cleared of rust. Would like to make sure to anything else I need to do before applying Boeshield T-9.

A few pictures…

Table saw top:

Insect Asphalt Grey Pest Arthropod

Even have some on the metal strip along the fence guide rail:

Wood Grey Rectangle Road surface Tints and shades

And here's an example on my band saw table:

Wood Grey Asphalt Road surface Water

Attachments

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
That won't hurt a thing… if you used 'rust-free', that is basically just phosphoric acid and alcohol. That stuff will turn the rust into an inert material - iron phosphate - which will act as a barrier and prevent future rust. It is a darkish color, so that is most likely what you are seeing. As long as the pitting doesn't catch the wood or impede operation, just wax it up and start making some sawdust.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Perfectly fine. After I clean with RustFree, I keep a good coat of paste wax on my tables. I have wondered if the new "ceramic" car waxes might be a tougher long lasting coating. I like the T-9 spray too.

Rust-free is a zinc-phosphate so it is a "rust converter" not just a cleaner. You are good to go if you now protect it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts