LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to make some splay-foot tool stands using 2x4s for fairly light benchtop equipment (small drill press, 10" bandsaw, etc) and was wondering if there's a commercial app or online calculator which would take several inputs

• the dimension at the imaginary circle or ellipse encompassing the legs where they meet the underside
  • the footprint dimension at the floor
  • the height-on-center, measured plumb from the floor, of the four cross-brace members
  • the height of the table

which would then produce a list of cuts required to achieve that spec: the lengths of the 2x4 members and the required compound angle cuts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A Construction Master calculator can be made to do that, but more practical to lay it out full size on a sheet of plywood.
A digital angle finder is very handy.
From a recent project:
View attachment 3853153
View attachment 3853152
If the legs angle inward towards the centerpoint of the table it gets harder. I could probably work it out geometrically on paper but wouldn't mind a calculator.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think Christopher Schwarz of Lost Art Press discusses this in detail. He describes how you don't need a calculator to figure out splay and rake and all other chair things. Take a look at his blog I believe he has a few articles on how to do this. He uses a sightline instead.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
learn "descriptive geometry" or "stereotomy" and you will be able to do things like this:
Moore trestle
(not mine)
It is a purely graphical method (no calculus).
I learned descriptive geometry about 55 years ago in upper secondary school. I found it enjoyable (not everybody would agree).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts