LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am going to be making a 3 inch think endgrain cutting board out of maple for a friend of mine. My budget is not large, and home depot is just down the road. Is the maple bought at home depot the correct type?

I have heard there is soft and hard maples.. but i certainly cannot tell the difference? Does anyone know?

Thanks!
-Eric

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Do some shopping around and look for a local sawyer. Many of them not only saw but do some drying as well. I'm a little torn on the benefits of kiln drying, especially for something that is most likely going to be treated in oil anyway. I think you'll like the price and selection the local mills can give you. Best sources of info might me a local cabinet shop or yellow pages. Some of the guys who work millwork area in HD might know of some locals too. Hope this helps. BTKS

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
If HD or Menards is the only place you can buy maple, it's fine for a cutting board or anything. I've used it to make a chair. It's plenty hard. I've even used it on the lathe to make the front legs.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Greetings Eric: As stated above by the others, soft maple is fine to use. It is tight-grained, and if mixed with walnut or purpleheart, it makes a beautiful cutting board. The wood really pops when you put the oil to it. I made about 4, mixed and matched the wood, and they're great. Hard maple is sometimes hard to come by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.