LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy is selling a 36-869 Unisaw with the original Unifence system and wanted to know if there is any problems with this model and what would be a fair price to offer for it. The motor is single phase 3hp.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
The Unisaw remained virtually unchanged from its original introduction back in the late 30's until its complete redesign around 2009. It was the gold standard by which all other table saws were measured against (along with the PM66). The Unifence is a bonus, and worth a few hundred by itself. All of the older Unisaws were built in the US, while the newer re-designed model is built overseas if that matters to you. But there is just too many variables involved to give a valuation without seeing it... location, condition, accessories, etc... all play a part in determining price. For one in excellent condition, prices can easily range from $500 to $1500 or more.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
538 Posts
I love the Unifence…but Biesenmeyer style fences took over the market. Peachtree sells an upgrade to the fence, which is a different extrusion which makes the Unifence even better. :Uni-T-Fence.
Strongly recommend the upgrade, but the old Unifence is just excellent as is.

·
Registered
Working with a TBI. Handtools for me...
1,010 Posts
One minor but oft-overlooked benefit of the Unifence design is that when the extrusion is laid down like this AND then raised off the surface of the saw, it allows the fence to register against the edge of a substrate that has been veneered on both sides. This can make trimming veneered pieces so much simpler.
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Engineering

Also, since the extrusion can be adjusted fore/aft, the fence itself can be used safely as a length stop when doing crosscuts.
Wood Floor Flooring Table Wood stain

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a used Unisaw back in 1978. It had been retired from a mobile home manufacturer who had several of them stored after buying a panel saw. I paid $300 for it then with just the plain fence on it. Put a Biesmeyer t square fence on it when they came out and it's been a great piece of equipment. New bearings in the arbor once. I also made a sliding table attachment. It was the shops workhorse for years. Still works though not as much nowadays..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newer models have riving knifes. Since around 2014 it's mandated.
This is important. If you don't have a riving knife, it's both less safe in general and you need to deal with a splitter which is a lot more annoying to mount/unmount as necessary. So it's something to consider when comparing a newer saw to an older one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts