LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I don't own one yet but have used it extensively. It's quite fabulous. I plan on installing one in our kitchen like this:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Using? I've got one. I got it to develop software for, I'm not sure what I'd use it for other than that.

Every time I pick it up for web browsing, I use it for less than 20 minutes before I go get a laptop, either so I can type into it, or so I can view something with Flash.

For coffee table books it's awesome (Budget the extra $15 for "The Elements" when you buy it), for reading novels or straight text I'll take a Kindle over it any day.

It doesn't really have enough storage to be a generic picture frame device, and I'm so afraid of the fragility of the glass screen that I'll pack my laptop for visits to relatives or acquaintances.

So mostly it sits on my desk for testing the software I'm working on, and I think a future version of it, or something like it, will be "the next big thing", but I'm not finding the use for it as it sits right now.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'm not using an iPad, but I do use a uPad from time to time. :)

·
Registered
18,356 Posts
ipad, you must mean ink pad. I use one of those on Sunday to stamp check for our church. LOL!

I don't feel the need to be more connected than I already am. Required to carry a blackberry for the office… that's enough.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The smaller you go with computers, it's harder to work on. It's kinda like a use and then throw it away when it breaks. You almost always have to go back to the manfacture, to get it fixed then they have you.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have an ipod touch and it's great, I use it whenever I'm going to be somewhere bored to browse the web and play games. I also use it for much more.

Like Dan Lyke said a future version will be the way to go and that's when I plan on getting one. You can't let technology get to far ahead of you or you will be lost in a few year as fast as things are going.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes. Like all Mac products, I love the iPad and use it all the time.
The iPad even goes to the shop with me… great for a quick check in on LJs, email, YouTube, making calculations, paperless project plans, and more. Typing is not an issue with a bluetooth keyboard.

I also have a Kindle, and I read a lot, but found that I have been using the iPad for most of my reading as well. I especially like the iPad for reading in bed; no more messing with the book light for the Kindle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am considering getting an iPad. My wife and 4 year old daughter both have an iPod touch. They love to play the games. My fear is that if I get one, I will never get to use it since it has a lot bigger screen. I would think that it would make gaming a lot better and I could never resist letting them use it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have an iPad that I use in the shop all the time. However, I've not tried to upload a project from it, so have not encountered billp's issue. I normally use my MacBook Pro for uploading and photo work. Love the iPad though. BillP… have you checked with the Apple Store to see if there is a way to solve your problem? Just a thought. Seems odd you can't upload. But then, I'm hardly an expert.
Roger

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have an iPad 2 that I just bought a month ago, I use it everyday for minor things.
I needed it because my eyes simply couldn't see everything on the iPod Touch without a lot of scrolling.
I love it and have viewed projects on LJ with it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You can't compare a Kindle and an iPad when it comes to reading books. The kindle is specific for text reading. It has virtually no glare, weighs about the same as a paperback, and is easy to carry anywhere. It's what was intended to do.
It doesn't claim to do anymore than supply ebooks, but it does it better than any multifunctional apparatus out there.
I'm not knocking the ipad. I use only apple computers. (I have a MacBook Pro) If I ever really find a use for an ipad, I'll jump on it.
But I read a lot and the Kindle is my preferred reader.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.