LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

You've stumbled upon the ramblings of a rank beginner that has long dreamed of one day possessing the skills of a master craftsman that can turn a block of mahogany into a work of art. While those aspirations will probably remain dreams for a while, I am taking my first steps at becoming a skilled woodworker.

After debating on whether to equip a small shop and start a process of experimentation or take a class and narrow the learning curve, I've decided to forgo a few thousand board feet of disasters and take a class. Luckily there is a well respected woodworking program at a nearby community college (Palomar College, San Marcos, CA) that offers just what I'm looking for. Hopefully the class will limit my mistakes and get me on the right path from the start. Tomorrow is my first day of class, so I'm very excited about beginning the journey.

If nothing else, this blog will give me a chance to look back several months from now and see just what kind of progress I've made. Hopefully a few of you will follow along and share your thoughts on my journey. If you do, I look forward to meeting you, if not, thanks for stopping by.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

You've stumbled upon the ramblings of a rank beginner that has long dreamed of one day possessing the skills of a master craftsman that can turn a block of mahogany into a work of art. While those aspirations will probably remain dreams for a while, I am taking my first steps at becoming a skilled woodworker.

After debating on whether to equip a small shop and start a process of experimentation or take a class and narrow the learning curve, I've decided to forgo a few thousand board feet of disasters and take a class. Luckily there is a well respected woodworking program at a nearby community college (Palomar College, San Marcos, CA) that offers just what I'm looking for. Hopefully the class will limit my mistakes and get me on the right path from the start. Tomorrow is my first day of class, so I'm very excited about beginning the journey.

If nothing else, this blog will give me a chance to look back several months from now and see just what kind of progress I've made. Hopefully a few of you will follow along and share your thoughts on my journey. If you do, I look forward to meeting you, if not, thanks for stopping by.
Good luck on your class taking.

Learning from someone else give you some confidence that you are able to do something correctly. It will also give the safety skills to insure that you are doing it correctly.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Congrats, sounds like a smart start, and welcome.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Best wishes, Mate!

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Make sure you get a digital camera and record the results. It will be interesting for you to look back a year or two from now.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

You keep posting, we'll keep following…and definitely take some pictures and get them into your blogs!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Wshorts, good luck, I started by just doing it and I have a lot to learn still everytime I step into the shop I learn something new, and make a mistake but the two go hand and hand. I look forward to see you work and your talent in woodworking.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Good luck. We'll be watching. Need lots of pictures.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

In the words of the unknown woodworker, "There are no such thing as mistakes, only design elements." Good luck on your journey! You have a captive audience.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

well, today is the day!! And I'm excited for you. What type of woodworking are we going to be doing? What experience does our instructor have under his/her belt? What will be the first lesson of the day?

Looking forward to the next chapter in this blog-and for pictures. Lots of pictures. (And don't forget the pictures of "design elements" and "learning opportunities" (some might refer to them as "mistakes")

Have fun at the class today!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

This is great-An awesome facility in an awesome location .. after seeing your pictures I need to pursue a relocation package with my employer to our Kearney Mesa facility .. I love San Diego, have friends in San Marcos and now this … enjoy and keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

very cool…i took my first class this past weekend as well…it was a one day class about the machine I bought last June…but it was nice to have an expert take us through all the maintenence and basic uses…I hope your class goes well and that you share with us what you learn…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.