LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi,
Just returned from a round of yard saleing and came back with a bunch of great stuff. One interesting item is this multi tool awl handle that I found. I can't seem to find any info about it, maybe someone here has seen these before. The best part was when I got it home and was checking it out, there was some rattling inside, so I unscrew the brass and there are a bunch of different tools inside that you can switch out! I bet it's rare to find these with all the pieces. Anyway, the wood handle says "HENRY'S PAT.MAR,3,1874" and the brass is stamped "J.BRITTON&SON, STOUGHTON,MASS, SOLE M'F'R'S." Any info would be awesome. This is an exquisite tool in amazing condition! Here are some pics.
Wood Door Gas Wood stain Natural material

Brown Wood Beige Metal Finial

Musical instrument Wood Bell Idiophone Gas

Musical instrument Wood Idiophone Handbell Gas

Gesture Thumb Wood Metal Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Refered to as a Tool Handle. Several makers, they were once a reasonably common gent's toolkit piece. Very nice example you have. Often the handles were rosewood.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sweet, thanks Smitty. That'll help my digging.

Oyster, I also picked up a Stanley #18 bevel gauge, a Greenlee 1/4" firmer chisel, a Buck Bros Burnisher, a cute little all-steel try square stamped J.Harrison (owner or maker?), a 10" Peck, Stow & Wilcox divider, and an old no-name 14" back saw. Believe it or not, the bevel, chisel, tool handle and dividers were only a quarter each!!

Brown Wood Hand tool Font Art

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Never saw one with holes for each of the individual tools before. Mine just has a hollow handle like a hand drill to hold the various tools. the other end has a three jaw chuck like a brace, and the tools are gripped in that. Nifty little tool to have around, as there are so many attachments you can get to quickly when you need them.
Don't know where my reprint of the Sears, Roebuck 1897 catalog is right now, but there is a listing for one of these in there. Yours seems to be one of the fancier, more up market models. Great find!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.