LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,826 Posts
Go Big or Go Home?

Two years after purchasing my last big tool (Rikon 10-325), I saved enough for my latest purchase, the Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press. I've started putting aside $25 a month + any gift cards etc. to save for major tool purchases and it has worked really well and makes it easier to justify to SWMBO.

Since I'm relatively young and plan on doing this woodworking thing a while, I've decided to adopt the philosophy of trying to buy quality tools that will last a long time and leave me with few regrets. I debated about purchasing this tool for a long time since there are many options that are cheaper, however I really didn't want to be sitting around in a couple years regretting that I had compromised on some features. In particular, I wanted a large work surface, wide speed range, and large quill stroke. From all the positive reviews and looking at it along side the Powermatic and several other models at the Woodsmith store, I am sure I won't be disappointed. I'll post a review when I get it set up. In the mean time I'll be tracking it's progress across the country :)
For those who can afford to buy several good tools at a time, it can be wise to purchase you a package deal from a commercial dealer that services furniture plants, cabinet shops, and serious woodworkers across a 150 mile radius area. If they know that you are serious about purchasing a package deal they are very creative at cutting their prices when they sharpen their pencils. That's the way I bought my large machines. Before deciding on a dealer I negotiated with every one that I could locate within a reasonable distance. I paid no freight and the whole package was delivered to my shop door on their truck with a tailgate lift and set where I wanted it to go. What needed to be put together they didn't assemble for me but they did carefully uncrate every machine and help me check for any noticeable damage and then hauled off the crates and all packing materials.

helluvawreck
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com/

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.