General - Pro-Angle Digital Protractor (Rating: 3)

So in the question feed my addiction, I swung by Rockler. The protractor was on sale for $10. The sales guy told me that they are going to be on sale in the new flyer for $15. I'm kind of a sucker for measuring tools so I bought it.

First impression - it is well made. The ruler moves smoothly and the tightening knob works well. The display is easily readable. It shows .1 degree measurements. Probably the biggest drawback is how you calibrate it. As you can see in the picture, the cross piece is fairly short (3.5"). The second picture shows how you calibrate it line up the ruler and cross piece and press the zero button. However, making sure that both the ruler and the cross piece are aligned is not that easy due to a bit of separation between the two. But worse, measuring 90 degrees looks to be very had due to the short cross piece. and, there are no "detents" for 90. I would not trust this device for machine set up. I will continue to rely on my Groz machinist square. Not sure I would use it to measure an angle for cutting wood - my Incra miter is better for that. Oh well…