LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,866 Posts
Edges can be done with a hand plane by balancing
the board and using a stop on the end of the bench.

If the board falls over, your technique is unbalanced
anyway, so it's a way to learn how to plane square
edges. If the bench is too high or the board wide
however the edge will be uncomfortably high.

·
Registered
740 Posts
True LJ style. 5 ways to accomplish the same thing! That's what's great about what we do, be innovative and no way is wrong.

Try any of these ways and adapt to your own personal preference.

Paul

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Big fan of holdfasts, they help with all sorts of stuff. In the below photos I can't remember what that little hook thing on the end is called, but you can rig up a stop with clamps instead. Or you can quick-screw a hook on there if you don't care about crappymanship. Currently building my new bench, not including the hook thingy.

Wood Tool Art Artisan Toy

Saw Wood Gas Hardwood Power tool

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
It depends on how wide and how long the board you want to work on is and the way the slab and the legs meet but if the slab and legs are co-planer the use of a stop and holdfasts through the legs work very well. While my bench has a face vise and I put it to great use if it did not have any vises the use of stops, battens and holdfast would do everything needed. Gravity is a powerful force, we sometimes forget how much so.

ColonelTravis posted as I was typing my post, his says and shows what I was writing about much better than I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks guys.
I'm honestly going to try as many of these that I can given time and equipment.
I'll also try to post on my success/failures.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I'm with Loren. If your stop block is softwood and has a vee notch in it, you can jam the piece into the notch and it will be held upright as well. That's the arrangement we used in the shipyards to plane the edges of planks, some of them over 20' long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.