LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,411 Posts
Hey ************************************************************,

What do you have for tools? Also, what type of wood is available to you in your part of the world?
There are a lot of things you could make depending on what you have and what is available.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

· Registered
194 Posts
Yeah if you tell us what tools you have we can come up with lots of ideas for you. my $0.02 is a cutting board…if you a table saw or even a miter saw…heck if you really take your time you could do it with a circular saw plus you can always use another cutting board

· Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't know what is available to you wood wise, here in the north-east US oak is readily available air dried for 1.00 a board foot. I'd start with a simple entrance way bench and go from there.

· Registered
3,876 Posts
The "Other Rick" above had a good idea. Birdhouse OR Birdfeeder. The Bird House shown here is an "Outhouse Birdhouse". ....LOL… I think it's GREAT and easy to build.

Plant Wood Rectangle Tree Hardwood

The feeder shown next is a "Rail Feeder" as you can see. NOTE: ANY type of a Birdfeeder should have "Screening" for the Bottom. It allows the water to run through and the "Birdseed" doesn't end up rotting or going bad. Same screen as you would use in a "Screen Door".

Wood Rectangle Grass Wood stain Hardwood

I made a couple of Feeders a year or so ago and I just found some Photos of one of them. It's made from Scrap Pine I had laying around. First Photo is during construction so you can get an idea of "How". The "Screened Feeding" Part is made as a seperate piece so it can be removed if needed.

Wood Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood Plank

This picture is "Finished and In Place" NOTE: I don't think the usual Metal Eye Bolts they always have sticking out the sides is the best way to Attach or Hang the Rope from. I drilled through the sides and the Yellow Rope runs all the way through and is Joined Under the Roof. That also allows you to adjust the "Hang" of the Feeder.

Oh yes! The "White Stuff" in the Background is known as "SNOW"...LOL… We have a lot if it in CANADA.!

Wood Twig Birdhouse Tree Pet supply

Hope it helps My Friend!!

Regards: Rick

Attachments

· Registered
533 Posts
Use pine, poplar or whatever is cheap and readily available from your nearest hardware store. Buy it rough if you have the tools to plane and size it, but buy it dressed and dimensioned if you don't

Go make a box. Make one to use in the workshop to hold a tool or something so that it needn't be pretty or fancy. BUT … Make it square and use something other than a straight-forward butt joint in the corners. Screws and nails should be avoided except for attaching hinges and a catch.

If you can make a box well, you are a long way down the path of doing many different projects.

· Registered
533 Posts
Use pine, poplar or whatever is cheap and readily available from your nearest hardware store. Buy it rough if you have the tools to plane and size it, but buy it dressed and dimensioned if you don't

Go make a box. Make one to use in the workshop to hold a tool or something so that it needn't be pretty or fancy. BUT … Make it square and use something other than a straight-forward butt joint in the corners. Screws and nails should be avoided except for attaching hinges and a catch.

If you can make a box well, you are a long way down the path of doing many different projects.

· Registered
2,397 Posts
Poplar and plywood are good starting materials.
Build a workbench; browse lj; there's a lot of quick simple benches to be found.
Bookcases are pretty simple as well as some shop cabinets.

Good luck and enjoy your hobby!
It's a slippery slope once you get started…

· Registered
41 Posts
I stated with Pine and making sample projects at first, Build your skills with the cheaper wood first. I made some nice furniture using 2X4s, 2X6s & 4X4s, paint hides a lot mistakes. Stated building your tools and equipment.

· Registered
5,826 Posts
The first bench that I made was made out of 2×4's and 2×6's. It was very simple but worked fine for a good many years. While you're getting your lumber at the BB store you could pick up one of those general woodworking books and they will probably have a plan for a work bench made out of two by's. I built my first bench with a hand saw and a drill brace. It was bolted together and was quite rigid. Welcome to Lumberjocks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.