LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I would have to have some pretty serious use for one before I would buy either. I usually have to justify my tools before I spend the money. I would probably buy Grizzly's mortising machine and a biscuit slot cutter first. Or set up a home made jig to use with my router.
That being said I have a 24" Leigh dove tail jig and love it. They make a good product. I'm only famaliar with Festool's reputation and their high prices of course.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I posed the same question a few months ago. Based on the responses, the Domino was the clear choice. However, I'm in the same boat as Les, I have the Leigh D4R, several routers, a good router table, a TS tenon jig and a DeWalt Biscuit Joiner. I sharpened my chisels and dug out my forstner bits and saved around $1000 on my holiday projects. And guess what, I survived without the FMT or Domino! Thinking back, I made the right choice (neither). I spent money on a Tormek T7 instead.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use my Domino on practically every project. Is is fast and accurate. That said, the Multi-Router suggested by a1Jim is a much more versatile machine, but costs about three times as much as the Domino without the router. If money was no object I would opt for the Multi-Router. pkennedy

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I've been on and off the domino machine for several months. I put it down after easily breaking a bit. They run around $40 bucks each to replace. We are on our 3rd since I started. I went back to the buiscuit joiner for a while, then got a new bit for the domino. I think it depends on what you are using it for. If you are gluing up panels like me it doesn't matter. If you are making face frames use a kreg jig. If you are making tables why not make intricle tenons. It isn't difficult, however if you don't like to work on one project to long and want to throw it together the domino is the way to go in that respect. I think with new tools that make things easier we tend to lose the enjoyment of designing and making any one single project and begin to make things quickly, looking for the fastest way to get it done. Then all of a sudden we are bored with the hobby. If you want to sell cabinets and furniture it's a different ball game, and you should buy tools that will increase production. As for me, I would rather hand cut a mortice and tenon, but I think it's relaxing work and I don't want to be rushed to get my projects done. "Speed kills, but you'll get there faster" doesn't necessarily relate to woodworking.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't have either one (so no dog in the fight), but problem I see with the FMT is when you have long rails. You are going to be standing on a ladder, or tipping the jig on its side, trying to cut the tennon.

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.