LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Robert, that is the reason I suckered into this in the first place. lol

@Lee, I never thought about a heat gun and I have one too. I made a sanding mop of sorts last night and it worked for about 6 of the uprights. I need something better that will hang on to the sand longer. Emery cloth just doesn't quite do it.

· Registered
7,008 Posts
@Lee
"Did you try a heat gun, Rand?
Wear the right mask, BEFORE you give that a try.
Lee"

... and leave the left open?
... what type of mask should he wear on the left?

LOL

· Registered
7,008 Posts
Rand… I was just playing with words again… LOL

It's good that you described the correct mask to be used… I would've just used a particle mask…

Thank you…

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Joe, there are particle masks that are for welding that are designed to remove everything except the harmful fumes paints emit. I used them for years.

When the VA mistakenly diagnosed me with COPD I bought these masks and a case of refills. After all this time I finally get to use them. lol

· In Loving Memory
10,077 Posts
Rand - I made my mop out of sanding belts that were no longer useful on my drum sander. It seems to be a tougher material. 80 grit seems plenty fine as it leaves a smoother finish than 80 grit on my ROS or drum sanders. Not sure why. I made 50 and 80 grit mops and have been pleased with them. I turn them at high speed in my drill press mostly but have also used them in my air die grinder. It spins them REALLY fast! I would use a smaller diameter mop if the die grinder were my weapon of choice.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey Andy,
When I was researching the LJ version last night, I never did fine out what they made them out of. I tried a roll of
1 1/2" wide 120 grit emery cloth. It worked good a t first, but the abrasives came off and the straight cloth does nothing. I have a neighbor with a drum sander. I'll check with him and see if he has some used belt laying around.
I know he has 80 and 120 grit for sure.

As far as this bed goes, I am ready to burn the damn thing. I am low on the skill totem pole, but I know I can do a better job than this thing. I have a bunch of poplar and I think I'll use that and paint it with something less formidable for in the future if I have to change the color for another daughter. lol

How's the beaver hunting going? lol I'll trade you some llama meat for some beaver. lol

· In Loving Memory
10,077 Posts
Llamas, the poor man's camel. My brother was in the llama business briefly. He borrowed my horse trailer to haul some and I like to never got a horse to load after that. They smell worse than the beavers (but are probably less destructive). No offense intended; I'm just not a big fan of llamas or ostriches.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I had two males and one female. I butchered the young one and the old male got mean and horny. When he tried to cross breed species, I found him a new home. It was so bad that no women could go in the backyard. He now has a harem in Santa Clara, CA and more that my little acre to chase them in.
The meat is delicious and virtually fat free. Very low cholesterol. I put the taste between the best beef and lamb.

· Registered
483 Posts
Hi Rand,

I'm wondering if starting with a card scraper might be easier than doing only hand sanding. If you can clamp the rails vertically and position your body as if you were using a spokeshaven I would imagine the finish would come off the curved surfaces pretty quickly. Then it wouldn't take much sanding to make it round again.

Llama breeding? Cool. Only seen it on TV.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sarit,
I have warped plywood from China I would rather work with. lol I think Dust56 hit the nail on the head when he called it "the nuclear finish".

I have some used belts from a drum sander coming over this morning. Hopefully I can make a usable sanding mop.
The more time I spend trying to save the soft pine under this nuclear finish the less I care about this cheap piece of crap bed. I have some poplar that would be a pleasure to work with.

I think I will see what poplar looks like with some Danish oil. But then can I have Danish oil around a baby, especially when he is teething.Any one have ny ideas on what is safe around baby furniture?

· Registered
7,008 Posts
Rand, would a good chemical remover work?

· Registered
7,008 Posts
I have used something like Citric… (sp) It has been a long time…

BUT, it worked beautifully… I used it on the top & drawer front of an Old Chest of drawers… was very good.

After which, it did require some minor sanding…

· Registered
7,027 Posts
use a heat gun and a paint scraper with the right size and for the thight corners use a cheap
cheisel with plastic handle …. :) ........ if the damm colour is oilbased if its waterbased
you still do it with paintscraper and cheisel but the heatgun is useless then ….. try by error :-(

the chemicals works on what they are made for :)

good luck Randy

Dennis

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Dennis,
Like I told Lee, I have a new heat gun I'm dying to try out. It is a fire pit in the backyard. lol

I talked it over with my wife and daughter and I'm going to make a whole new bed and chest of drawers. I can't stand this soft, soft pine. Besides, everything I have done so far, still looks like cheap crap. Pine is pine. You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. At least I can't or won't.

I've decided that it is time to kick my skill level up a notch. I've been practicing my joinery from my new book by Yeung Chan and I am anxious to make his jigs for this project and incorporate several types of joinery.

· Registered
7,027 Posts
ok then its time to drag out the axe and have some fun making firewood :)
and if you still in the mood for manuel work a shave horse a draw knife and
brace with bits is nearly all you need to make a new cradle a la windsor chair

Dennis

· Registered
7,008 Posts
Rand!

"I talked it over with my wife and daughter and I'm going to make a whole new bed and chest of drawers. I can't stand this soft, soft pine. Besides, everything I have done so far, still looks like cheap crap. Pine is pine. You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. At least I can't or won't.

I've decided that it is time to kick my skill level up a notch. I've been practicing my joinery from my new book by Yeung Chan and I am anxious to make his jigs for this project and incorporate several types of joinery."

That sounds like a good plan…

Now you can take it (old bed) out to the fire pit in the back yard! LOL

Good idea!

This way you will have good quality furniture and know what you have…
...plus, it will give you some nice useful projects to do! YES!

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Wood Table Gas Tool Razor

Save your money if you are thinking of using emery cloth. It doesn't last 5 min.

Automotive tire Adhesive Wood Tread Gas

So I am collecting used 80 grit drum sander belts. I understand that 3m drywall sanding pads are supposed to work. They are some what cheap, so I will try them and report back.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.