LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
6,911 Posts
Really, Rand…it depends on how much time you want to spend on sanding. You can use those foam pads or even make your own. Doing it all by hand really takes a while. You can also put pipe insulation (foam) over a small disk and use that in some places. Takes lots of creativity to out-do the mop. Lots of elbowgrease too!

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll knock them apart and reglue everything. Most of the turnings are loose anyway, but the pine is the softest I have ever seem. You just look at it and it dents and the sanding is very aggressive even with 120 grit.

Yeah and that is the utility knife I dropped on my ankle. lol I thought I had it hid. lol

· In Loving Memory
6,506 Posts
Rand,
I while back I got myself a set of these babies. I had a lot of good uses with them, might be worth considering.

· Registered
2,583 Posts
Wow, that looks way too much like real work. I try to stay away from that sorta thing. Understand that a mop could tend to round over the high spots. My suggestion would be to attack it chemically.

· In Loving Memory
10,077 Posts
Those sanding mops are really overpriced as easy as they are to make. I saw a thread on LJ and made 2 (different grits). They work fine but are less aggressive than I would have thought.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We tried the Citrus Eco friendly crap and it would not touch this stuff. Then we tried the nasty stuff with the same result. The last stripper only turned it milky on the surface.

This bed was "heche en Mexico". I wish I knew what the finish is.

· Registered
7,008 Posts
Rand, you can cut thin strips off a sheet of sandpaper….

Then, use the strips like you were shining shoes... holding the strip at each end & moving back it back & forth right into the small sections…

I think it would work really SLICK…

· Registered
197 Posts
it will look nice when you get done just keep the grand kids that will use it in mind when working on it

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.