LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm just about there! For the first time after just over a month long, I FINALLY unlocked, opened, and took my first steps back in my shop! Holy crap do you know how good that felt??? I wanted to cry. It felt like being fully reintroduced all over again too all my woodworking tools and anything related. Man I spent too much time away. Don't you guys worry though I didn't do any work yet though I wish I could be. I'm just beginning to walk again. And my HUGE headaches are finally going away! But anywho I'll stop with these boring life stories its prob nothing interesting lol.

What I do have to ask you guys/gals though is now that I just got this big surgery done and the seizures have stopped, its got me REALLY nervous about continuing my life as a full time union carpenter. Why? Because what triggered my seizures most of the time beforehand was pushing myself, over working, the physical demand, and the stress which that job caused all of them. What makes me afraid to go back is that doing all that I fear will bring back seizures. So with your guys' opinions help me out plz.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S if you wanna check out the stitch line on my head from surgery check out my display pic…bigger in the profile tho…like i said before im illiterate to putting pics in the forum

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
mark ,
what i'm reading between the lines here ,
is you are worried that you will continue as before ?
this needn't be the case ,
life isn't over or to be caught up to .
you have nothing to prove ,
to yourself or anyone .

you have been given a chance to have a better life now ,
if you want to continue with the dreams of that other life ,
chances are you will , and maybe even successfully ?

or you can take advantage of the new path before you .
you still have to be a decent person/husband/father .

how you use this gift , will determine the outcome .

just be as good as you wish to be ,
don't pressure your self , don't get over anxious ,
life will still go on , you will still meet your destiny .

perhaps you have been worried ,
about making a decent life for your family ?
maybe you tried to hard ?

talk with the wife , find something that works for all of you .
there is no competition , unless you make it .

if you love carpentry , there are plenty of ways to enjoy it ,
you don't have to be the best ,
just be the best for you ,

enjoy your family , work that suits you ,
and this new gift , free from seizures and pressure .

don't create new ones ,
enjoy what you got
really !

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks alot you guys this is really helping me out. its always on my mind. and i do see my surgeon for updates 2x before xmas so i'll ask him when I see him then…thanx alot you guys!

·
Premium Member
25,678 Posts
Glad you are recovering!! Focus on how blessed you are, be thankful for every day. don't get up set when you are delayed by a train a crossing, be thankful for a chance to enjoy the sunshine or listed to the raiin drops:))

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Welcome back. Glad you're better.

As for the career, I thought of several things, then I reread David's post. GMman, you're right--Good advice.
There are tons of opportunities out there, but you have to work at finding them. Rarely do they show up on our doorstep. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you aren't doing what you love, then you're doing what you don't love, aren't you? So perhaps you won't have to worry about stress and flareups if you are doing what you love most. I don't know what that is, maybe it's carpentry, maybe it's a social worker, maybe it's an international jewel thief…I don't know…maybe you don't know either. Take some time and figure out what you REALLY love doing, and then go do that. That might mean making some really scary changes to you and your families way of life, maybe some serious sacrifices. Maybe not. They love you and will support you though. And in the end, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Everyone has good advice. My 2 cents would be to take it slow and see how youi feel. Don't put any undo stress on yourself. Glad to see ya back

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
It's good that you're up and around. I HATE my job, I've HATED it for years, and I'm going to HATE it until I retire next year. Life is too short for a job you don't want to be in. I've heard the best job for someone is doing what you love. Good luck, Mark!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thx hairy…i love being a carpenter… i love doing it for a living. im just worried about the hard physical labour of it to trigger seizures :/ and thats not what i want so i will change my career if i have to

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.