LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

I need advise about I minimally need to sharpen my chisels and plane irons

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  CharlesA 
I don t think I d recommend skipping a middle grit as the fine / extra fine wouldn t refine the edge as effectively… Is there a color chip on that DMT of yours (black or blue, for example)?

- Smitty_Cabinetshop
I would agree with this. I use coarse, medium & extra fine diamond plates, plus a strop and get good results. Coarse is used to redefine the bevel or straighten an edge. Medium is good for irons & chisels that have a worn edge, but are still shaped well. Extra fine and the strop for putting the final touch on the edges.

I don t think I d recommend skipping a middle grit as the fine / extra fine wouldn t refine the edge as effectively… Is there a color chip on that DMT of yours (black or blue, for example)?

- Smitty_Cabinetshop

Mine is the Blue one

- zymurgist
I think the DMT blue is pretty similar to a Medium for some of the other manufacturers (like EZE Lap, which is what I have). You could probably skip the fine and go right to Extra-fine. To keep costs down, you could still use sandpaper for the very coarse work, because you won't need to use it as often. As budget allows, you might consider adding an extra coarse stone.

That's fine,, it's a good place to start. I was just pointing out that DMT labels their plates as Extra Coarse, Coarse, Fine and Extra Fine, they don't have a Medium, for some reason.

You could probably skip the red and get a green (extra-fine) and be OK. If using DMT's, I would probably want to end up with an Extra Coarse (black), Coarse (blue) and Extra Fine (green), plus a strop. I prefer the solid plates like the DiaSharp rather than the interrupted plates like you have or the DuoSharps, but whichever you feel more comfortable with is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.