LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Trying to construct an extension cord.

Have 12/3 wire with a 20 amp 260 heavy duty straight blade device

I have 3 wires…green, white and black

The ground is self evident.

Does it matter which termination post gets the neutral and hot?

got the product and advise from HD

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Scott,
The white is your neutral wire, it should be wired to the widest blade of the outlet, on polarized outlets. Normally the neutral screw will be silver colored as opposed to the hot terminal which will be the brass colored screw.

If you are looking at the outlet(female) portion of your cord ground being at the bottom, neutral would be to the left and hot to the right. You can always look at one of your household outlets also, depending on who wired them, and how old your house is.

http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/wiring_receptacles.html

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked again using both glasses and a magnifying glass and both are brass terminal screws

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
If that is 220 there is no neutral….both are hot….it doesn't really matter which color is used as they both carry a load. Black and White hot….Green ground.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Reggiek

I presume I must be consistent at both ends of the cord?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No Gman I am here…I think (hope) I got it all.

I will look into the outlet and make sure I get the white and black to line up and carry thru to the entire extension cord/

Seems like pages are slow here tonite??

·
Premium Member
25,685 Posts
Rocky, are you trying to make a 220 volt cord? If so, Geen is ground, the black and white will both be hots in that cable. The cord cap linked above is definitely for 220 volt 20 amp connection.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.