LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
James the article makes many good points.
The "Criminalization of Everything" is readily apparent in our school systems, in the form of "Zero Tolerance Policies"

Like this 5th grader - Suspended for pointing his finger "like a gun"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/us/ohio-boy-suspended-finger-gun/
According to his father, Paul Entingh, one moment the boy was "goofing off" with his friends in fifth-grade science class, and the next the teacher was taking him out of the classroom, invoking Ohio's zero-tolerance policy.
The offense? Nathan was "making his fingers look like a gun, having the thumb up and the pointed finger sticking out," said Entingh, describing the February 26 incident.

======================
Or court appearnces - and demotion from teams in school for coming to the aid of a friend who is too drunk to drive home.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/columnists/margery_eagan/2013/10/eagan_school_slaps_teen_for_doing_the_right_thing

NORTH ANDOVER, MA-
A teenager in Massachusetts is fighting her school suspension and demotion from captain of her volleyball team. Her family says she is being punished for doing the right thing
Erin Cox went to a friend's aid when that friend asked her to be the designated driver. The friend had been drinking at a party and wanted to leave.

===============================
5 year old Terrorists…. with bubbles!

Let it Sink in - -Her Permanent school record as a Terrorist! at 5 with a bubble maker!!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/kindergartner-suspended-over-bubble-gun-threat/

A 5-year-old girl was suspended from school earlier this week after she made what the school called a "terrorist threat."

Her weapon of choice? A small, Hello Kitty automatic bubble blower.

The kindergartner, who attends Mount Carmel Area Elementary School in Pennsylvania, caught administrators' attention after suggesting she and a classmate should shoot each other with bubbles.

The kindergartner was ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation during her 10-day suspension, which was later reduced to two days. The evaluation deemed the girl normal and not a threat to others, Ficker said.

Font Toy Magenta Plastic Carmine

And these are the things that DIDN"T get folks sent to prison! All done by "Professional Administrators" - EDUCATING the next generation of fearful incompetent sheep.

We should really consider what it is that we are really instilling as life lessons.

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
No doubt there are issues in the states. I just wished they would find more legit examples. I am all for one bringing to light injustices but really makes it hard for mass support when you decided to use poor examples as reference material.

For example: I would think that 30 arrests dating back to 1980 on charges such as assault, resisting arrest, and grand larceny would indicate an individual not a single one of use would like to have as a neighbor, son in law, employee, etc… How many unlawful acts would one have to commit to get 30 arrests, assuming one is of average intelligence and doesn't not contact law enforcement and direct them to your next act? Was the force excessive, perhaps but how do you arrest a 300 plus guy that won't willing allow himself to be cuffed?

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
For starters you don't use a specifically prohibited chokehold.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
For starters you don t use a specifically prohibited chokehold.

- bigblockyeti
But is that what happened? Or is that the pundits using "Choke Hold" because it is more graphic?

Two big points: 1) The final autopsy report hasn't been released. We don't have the full story, just headlines. 2) "Homicide" only means that one person has caused the death of another.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/14/not-a-chokehold-truth-of-the-garner-arrest/

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Everyone is trying to make this into a Rodney King event. Yeah, maybe cops made a mistake, we pay them to protect us eveyday. They arent perfect and one out of 100,000 arrests might go bad its the nature of the beast. We certainly dont need the goverment getting involved in local issues, unfortunitly thats what we have now. Every one running to the feds when they get their toe jammed.

Bill

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Regarding the last comic, "Didn't pay tax on cigarettes". Weren't the taxes paid when the full pack was bought?

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
No, the taxes were not paid….these were illegal untaxed cigarettes.

I am really glad that I am not a policeman…..I can think of no more difficult job than balancing doing your job and making certain not to do wrong.

Yes, there are some police who have done things improperly or even broken the law, but he vast majority are good people doing a difficult job. I wonder how many good arrests are made every day compared to the the bad ones. I know that not even one bad arrest is one too many but who among us is perfect. We would love to have perfection in law enforcement but unfortunately humans are not perfect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.