Kreg - Kreg# KKS1070 4 piece bench dogs (Rating: 5)

I didn't feel like making my own bench dogs, I also didn't feel like paying tons of money for them. In one of my many recent trips to woodcraft, I saw these and decided to try them out

The Good They work. They fit snugly in the 3/4" holes I drilled and laid flat on the bench top. They are nylon, but appear to be very strong. I clamped down on my vise way more than I needed to a few times to see if they would crack or give. They didn't. The flat faces are just the right size to hold effectively when planing. There are also small points on the top of each one that are used similarly to painters pyramids and allow tiny contact points when finishing.

The Awesome The rubber "bench brakes" that are included. They turn your bench dogs into "bench cookies" which is nice for freehand routing and sanding. They are removable if you need the extra space for planing thinner stock. My favorite feature is you can stick them directly in a 3/4" dog hole without using the dog. This is great for using something like a router plane where you don't want to raise the work piece too much.

The bad Well, they aren't brass and fancy looking, and you can't brag about how much they cost.

Overall I can't believe I even considered anything else. Kreg put a lot of functionality into a little package that costs less than most fast food value meals for a set of 4. If you need some bench dogs or are looking to upgrade the set you have, check these out.