LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
918 Posts
I am refinishing an old 3 drawer dresser and have run into a frustrating snag. The dresser is probably 50 years old and had numerous coats of paint on it. I roughed up the sides and sanded the top smooth as I want a smooth high gloss finish on the top. I used a high gloss enamel paint and used my paint gun to spray the finish. After 3 coats on the entire piece the sides and front and everywhere but the top have a nice high gloss finish, the top on the other hand looks grainy. So I used a foam roller and added another coat to the top and then resprayed the top, still grainy not smooth and definitely not high gloss.

What can I do to get this top to shine like the rest of the piece? What did I do wrong?

· Super Moderator
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have figured out how to get the gloss finish I was looking for. I went back and sanded the top lightly with 320 grit sandpaper and then used rattle can clear gloss enamel paint and sprayed a few coats and it brought the black paint to a nice even gloss. So maybe this will help someone in the future if anyone else runs into this problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.