LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted - I've spent quite a while working on a large quarter sawn white oak dresser. It is now just about complete, and I am starting to apply finish. What I've decided to use is Transtint medium brown dye, followed by a coat of dewaxed shellac, then a coat of General Finishes Nutmeg gel stain, and then a couple of coats of General Finishes wipe on poly. Whew!

My question is this: My drawers are going to be set in about an eighth of an inch, so the drawer slides and dividers will be partially exposed. I don't want an oil based finish inside the dresser because of the smell, but I want it to match the outside. I was thinking I would just apply finish in about half an inch on those parts, but how would I get a nice neat line? That dye bleeds very easily.

I would appreciate any ideas - thanks!

Myanna

Drawer Cabinetry Wood Rectangle Floor

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Lumber

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I forget which forum I read about this topic before (I feel like it was SMC), but the question has been posed before. The going consensus was either no finish (majority) or shellac (minority). Oils and varnishes were strongly recommended against.

I've been (slowly) working through the drawer boxes for a dresser rehab project for my daughter and built new drawer boxes myself (nothing special, just big box store birch plywood, glue, and nails). I figured some protection is better than no protection and put on 2 coats of de-waxed shellac (unthinned Zinsser Sealcoat).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.