LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been working on a pirate bed for my son and I'm having some success. However I'm placing the deck on for the front and I'm worried about handling wood movement. Below is a pic of the bare deck and the 3/4" Poplar planks. How should i mount these? I don't have access from the underside. So a plan I came up with was to place an over sized hole in the plank then using a screw with out a countersink. Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW I've rounded over the corners on the planks to give a the texture between them.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Have you considered attaching a backer board to the plywood where the decking is to be fastened and using fluted or spiral grooved dowels to attach the decking. I did something similar on a rocking horse and their still holding strong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My dad had refinished several wooden boats including a 1954 Mahogany CrisCraft Inboard. What I remember is some of the baots left the screws showing, either brass or chrome. The CrisCraft had the screws with the heads in holes and plugs over them. I think I would feel better using screws than adhesives, then the question becomes "Do you want to do the extra work of the plugs. I'm sure it will look great.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.