LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
How to cut hard maple with out burning I just bought some hard maple to build a table it has bevel edges and the plans call for you to use table saw with blade at ten degree my blade is forrest woodworker two the table saw has three horse motor what I'm worried about is burning when making the bevel cuts the blade is not new but I think it is still sharp enough to cut but if not what blades that are not that costly that would work and how many teeth should i get is it the finer blade better chance of burning I think if I got freud with as many teeth as the woodworker two it will be fine looking for some help thanks the maple will be 1 1/2 thick and 1 3/4 think

·
Registered
100 Posts
I burnt maple on my saw with a Forrest WWII when ripping. I switched to a 24 tooth thin kerf rip blade from Freud (bought it at Home Depot for about 1/4 of the cost of the WWII) and it works great, no burns and a clean cut. You definitely want something with a lower tooth count to avoid burns when ripping.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Maple is notorious for burning. I would just be sure that your blade is sharp and use a good quailty rip blade for the cuts. Feed rate is also just as important, too slow and you will have burning as well. You may also want to check that the blade is parallel to the miter slot and the fence is parallel as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Their is a company called Final Cut that makes a saw blade with sandpaper attached to both sides. They claim perfectly smooth cuts. I believe they are a direct company. I'm sure they have a web site.
-Rabbet

·
Registered
582 Posts
You didn't even try it yet? Try the blade you have on some scrap or 1/16" off of where you want the cut to see if it does burn. Make sure your blade and fence are parallel. Or get your Forrest sharpened if you really have an issue.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also use a 24 tooth thin kerf Freud blade with good success to help prevent burning. hang your tongue out to the left and bite down lightly helps.

russv

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
youll be fine with your woodworker 2… sneak up on it… if you try to cut it right to final size right off you will get burns… i agree that switching to a 24 tooth is a good ides…. i have a freud 24 tooth its the industrial that costs 60 dollars and works beautifully. just cut the bevel a 1/16 inch oversize and then do a final pass… move a little fast which should be no problem as youre only taking off a little bit of material and you should be good.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
The WWII may be a bit prone to burning hard maple of that thickness because it has a low side clearance and polishes the edges…same is true of the Ridge Carbide TS2000, Freud Fusion, Freud LM74 GLR, and Infinity Super General. A good 24T ripper shouldn't burn, but might leave too rough of a cut…can always hit it with a hand plane, scraper, or sandpaper. A 30T ATB blade like the DeWalt DW7653 or the 30T WWII might be just the ticket.

Either way, a clean sharp blade will help a lot. Making a very light final pass will reduce the chances of burning. Keep the blade height on the high side, wax your table to reduce friction, make sure the alignment is good, and flatten/straighten the boards before your final cut.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.