LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
No one can say without more info. What's on the other side? Is it just open with maybe a shelf, or are there doors and/or drawers installed?

What is the sales region? Prices vary widely between different parts of the country.

I could go on, but the bottom line is there's no way to do a reliable bid given the information provided, although I'm sure some will try.

·
Premium Member
28,534 Posts
yeah way too vague.if it's not for a friend price should have been determined before fabrication.my son learned that lesson,he made a wine barrel table then when he gave her the price she said it was too much.he ended up selling it at cost.

·
Registered
924 Posts
$1750 - 2250. Delivered, within reasonable distance, and installed.

$2,000 - 2500

That price is if it's custom made per someone's specs. If you made it and trying to sell it, it would be much less. But based on material costs, appears well made, a nice finish, if made to specs, in my area, I would charge above. If doors and drawers on other side, I would charge more.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Anyone wanting a POS counter will have an idea what shape/size is needed. Your counter, although nicely made, may not fit the needs of a customer. It would be hard to pin down it's value to someone looking for a counter. It may seem worth $2500 to you, but someone else may have a different value in mind. I would set the price at a rock bottom price and hope for the best.

·
Registered
133 Posts
MrRon: you're correct that this is the sort of work which must be customized to the space and the store owner's needs. But I can't agree with your approach to pricing.

IOW, hoping for the best is a fast way to go out of business. Unless you're a hobbyist who just needs to cover materials costs, a business owner must stay aware of the various things which happen between the "gross" and the "net."

And don't forget to pay yourself! A reason many small business owners don't turn a profit in the first 6-12 months is that they price for the low end of the market and devalue their own labor. So don't insult yourself by taking $1.29/hr. You wouldn't work for Big Corporation at that rate, right?

·
Premium Member
4,239 Posts
It is much easier to set your price when you have experience, confidence and know your "true cost" of labor, materials and overhead. The difficulty is when you are a starving artist and need the work. When you are trying to determine the price after delivery I believe the customer will take that burden off your hands.

·
Registered
980 Posts
As much as the customer has agreed to pay. Great looking POS counter (point of sale, not piece of shit). You did a nice job. But surely this is a commission for a customer with the design and pricing agreed to before construction, and receiving a down payment to cover materials? If so, are you looking for validation to see if you sold it too cheap or made a great profit over what others would sell it for? Or is this a spec project or is it a personal project for yourself that somebody now wants to buy? What does the back of the counter look like? More details would help.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I refer back to the first comment. That information is needed to determine pricing. Now if you have a set price for the customer whom has already paid, add up you cost, and figure out what your hourly rate is. You know what you put into it, so the question is; Was that worth my time?

That is why I like to agree to a price for custom work first.

·
Premium Member
28,534 Posts
I , for one, am extremely skeptical that the material cost is $300.

The reclaimed / patina'd lumber alone might be purchased for that.

- xedos
in this time i agree,sounds pretty cheap.im still waiting too hear was this commissioned or a spec piece,which would make no sense.

at this point were all just guessing until the op comes back with more info,but seems weve scared him away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.