LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an old Powr-Kraft table saw that when I use a 12" blade, I have to use a 5/8 to 1" adaptor, as it has a 5/8 arbor- the result being some minor vibration for my cuts (see not incredibly straight). I guess I can go down to a 10" blade to resolve that until I sort out my arbor issues. Also, I found a guy with a small 4" Craftsman jointer for $40- going to look at it tomorrow. Here's the CL ad:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/tls/1742765224.html

The wood fence looks odd, but he replied that "The fence has been furred out with the piece of wood in the pictures. The fence tilts and locks into place." Is this something to worry about, as I will mostly use this for edging pieces. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
that thing looks like it will cost more than 40 bucks to get it working good if i were u id just make a jig to join edges using my table saw theres plenty of articles on this all u have to do is google tablesaw joiner jig and u will get plenty of alternate methods using ur tablesaw

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
While I wish I had a jointer for flattening the faces of boards, I enjoy edge jointing by hand with a hand plane no 5 or 7. By the time you set up your router table for the right cut, I'll already be done with squaring an edge by hand….as long as I already have one face flat first.

Plus, fold the two pieces that need to be glued together and edge joint them together, you don't even really have to worry about it being totally square since the two edges will negate each other (think geometry: 180 degrees, if you have one angle that 89 degrees then the other one will be 91) so it will still be square when glued together.

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
I'll second Eric - handplane, joint both boards at the same time, so any error will be cancelled out in the 2nd mating edge. Although it's not that hard to get those edges nice and square with some practice. otherwise - the router table is another good solution. or a following with a freehand router against a straight edge.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Yeah getting two edges square isn't difficult, but does take a little practice, so for a beginner doing two together might be easier. I've noticed my edges while jointing would tend to lean a little to the left, but if I guide the plane with my finger on the face of the board resting up against the sole of plane I get square edge easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.