LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,661 Posts
Taking Care of Business... #2

(continued)
Though I have wanted to "press on" with this Office project, other duties and work have not been neglected!
When Spring arrived, I finally got around to removing a section of dilapidated stockade from the yard…
LJ"s won't let me post images of that for some reason, saying the file is > 5 MB???
Anyway, light gray trim was painted next, which included the Crown Molding and the French Door…
Wood Engineering Gas Machine Toolroom

Wood Window Wall Package delivery Door

What a lucky find that door was! Happy too, that it's no longer green…
This Old House is (or was) completely devoid of doorstops, so I whipped up a bunch of simple and effective ones out of scrap…
Wood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

These were then painted dark gray, along with the the baseboard covering, the "internet garage" that was built, some of the interior of the closet… I also purchased some strapping to build a framework for shelves and such in the closet (and to finish up the small Sun Room closet)... These became dark gray as well
Building Wood Table Floor Engineering

Fixture Wood Floor Door Flooring

The interior of the closet was yellow and looked fine, but some new yellow was purchased anyway, and applied…
Which brought us to the walls… Hold onto your breath…
Building Property Window Door Azure

Property Paint Fixture Azure Door

The walls are BLUE... Lol

All that was left in the Room to do was the floor…
Another "outside" interruption caused that to be delayed however… Early Spring Work in the Yard caused me to go into our little shed out back… The Squirrels here had their way with it all Winter, and any paper that was stored therein, shredded it like a machine… I truly laughed when I first saw it, it was such a mess!
But I wasn't laughing when I had to take out the lawnmower, and had to sweep up and clean the mess!
The eaves of the shed were largely missing…
Building Wood Wood stain Window House

So when I bought the Strapping, some lengths of PT Decking were purchased too, then used to replace the old and the missing…
Building Window Wood Tree Fixture

The Squirrels are not pleased I'm sure, but I could return to the floor work in the office with one less care…

The floor work was straight forward… In this and any old house, decisions have to be made constantly when repairing, in regards to what "degree" of repair is going to be rendered… This floor has some damage near the window… Working on and in this house has revealed that the Office Window was the original location of the entrance way of the house, the Front Door, if you will… So the damage was likely caused by Winter Boots and shovels and things melting on the floor near it… I might have replaced the affected boards, but the floor is, I believe, Black Walnut and this would be costly…
As it is cosmetic damage and not structural, and the intended final floor plan will have furniture over that area anyway, it will be left as-is… My Goal in this house has never been to "make it new" but to preserve and tend the fine home that it already is… These sections of the building were built 122 years ago and wear the scratches and scars of time well, it would be sinful to erase them! What is a Home without some Homeliness??
In any event, time was taken to clean-up the floor… I'm pretty good with paint, but with a small screwdriver and sandpaper, my few drops (and many that were not mine) were scraped or sanded (or both) from the floor…
Blue Wood Table Floor Flooring

I was going to try something different, some Varnish perhaps, but found an almost-full can of Poly for floors kicking around.. The results are very pleasing…
Property Rectangle Wood Fixture Wood stain

Another Room and Chapter closes…
After two coats, the Floor and Room look excellent, but smell terrible…
I'll keep the door closed on it for a couple days before I start moving back in
Property Window Building Fixture Wood

I'm anxious and excited about finishing this room in particular, because it is going to be like a "key log" in a lot of the log jam that is our household!! Many things are going to fall into place nicely, as far as having their own "forever places"!

As always, Thank You for your time and interest my Friends… :)

21 June 2022
Inching along is progress ;) Looking good!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,525 Posts

(continued)
Though I have wanted to "press on" with this Office project, other duties and work have not been neglected!
When Spring arrived, I finally got around to removing a section of dilapidated stockade from the yard…
LJ"s won't let me post images of that for some reason, saying the file is > 5 MB???
Anyway, light gray trim was painted next, which included the Crown Molding and the French Door…

Wood Window Wall Package delivery Door

This Old House is (or was) completely devoid of doorstops, so I whipped up a bunch of simple and effective ones out of scrap…
Wood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

These were then painted dark gray, along with the the baseboard covering, the "internet garage" that was built, some of the interior of the closet… I also purchased some strapping to build a framework for shelves and such in the closet (and to finish up the small Sun Room closet)... These became dark gray as well
Building Wood Table Floor Engineering

The interior of the closet was yellow and looked fine, but some new yellow was purchased anyway, and applied…

Another "outside" interruption caused that to be delayed however… Early Spring Work in the Yard caused me to go into our little shed out back… The Squirrels here had their way with it all Winter, and any paper that was stored therein, shredded it like a machine… I truly laughed when I first saw it, it was such a mess!
But I wasn't laughing when I had to take out the lawnmower, and had to sweep up and clean the mess!

So when I bought the Strapping, some lengths of PT Decking were purchased too, then used to replace the old and the missing…

The Squirrels are not pleased I'm sure, but I could return to the floor work in the office with one less care…

The floor work was straight forward… In this and any old house, decisions have to be made constantly when repairing, in regards to what "degree" of repair is going to be rendered… This floor has some damage near the window… Working on and in this house has revealed that the Office Window was the original location of the entrance way of the house, the Front Door, if you will… So the damage was likely caused by Winter Boots and shovels and things melting on the floor near it… I might have replaced the affected boards, but the floor is, I believe, Black Walnut and this would be costly…
As it is cosmetic damage and not structural, and the intended final floor plan will have furniture over that area anyway, it will be left as-is… My Goal in this house has never been to "make it new" but to preserve and tend the fine home that it already is… These sections of the building were built 122 years ago and wear the scratches and scars of time well, it would be sinful to erase them! What is a Home without some Homeliness??
In any event, time was taken to clean-up the floor… I'm pretty good with paint, but with a small screwdriver and sandpaper, my few drops (and many that were not mine) were scraped or sanded (or both) from the floor…

I was going to try something different, some Varnish perhaps, but found an almost-full can of Poly for floors kicking around.. The results are very pleasing…

I'm anxious and excited about finishing this room in particular, because it is going to be like a "key log" in a lot of the log jam that is our household!! Many things are going to fall into place nicely, as far as having their own "forever places"!

21 June 2022
You're making a lot of progress in your house. It's shaping up little by little. Looking great. Every time I think I'm ahead I fall behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,709 Posts

(continued)

Property Window Building Fixture Wood

21 June 2022
Love that blue!! The hardwood floor looks awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Basement Store Room

The Search for Storage Area continues…
The first choice for a place was a poor one…
Gas Fixture Wood Composite material Metal

In the corner to the right is the clean-out for the sewer, and shut-offs for the upstairs bathroom, can't put a wall in front of those!
Still, a wall was begun to the left side by aligning the prop 4" x 4"s with, and connecting them to, each other, then to the beams above… Used screws throughout, easier to move or remove (if necessary)
The things that came from the area were returned to it, much diminished, after some "sifting" of content! (Dump Run soon!)
Wood Gas Machine Flooring Room

The area on the other side of this wall had been the over-flow of the shop and got cleaned up next…
Floor Wood Gas Beam Building

Though it looks the same as the first bay, this one meets the requirements!
The thought here is to join the two sets of braces, right and left, and essentially make… you guessed it! A Box…
Wood Fixture Floor Building Flooring

This first, rear wall is not attached yet… need to leave it loose to trick in the sheetrock…

Fixture Wood Floor Flooring Gas

The front wall was built in place…

Building Wood Gas Fixture Machine

The Room is small, roughly 6' x 10', and shaped kinda like Nevada… It's also difficult to photograph because there's no place to stand far enough back, the furnace and water heater and pipes are all in the way!
Inside, looking out (sorry about the thumb)...
Wood Floor Fixture Door Gas

Hung Sheetrock on three of the interior walls yesterday…
Wood Floor Flooring Lamp Fixture

Somewhere in there, the stand-alone upright in the middle was removed and a 4" x 4" was added on the left hand side of what will be the Door, to accommodate the hinges…

And there we stand, the seven individual posts now corralled to a single purpose, working together…
I should have ample storage for my stuff too, so I won''t have to keep leap-frogging it ahead of myself and tripping over it! :)
Flooring Wood Floor Gas Beam

Wood Gas Machine Office supplies Electrical wiring

2 September 2022

Attachments

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Basement Store Room

In the corner to the right is the clean-out for the sewer, and shut-offs for the upstairs bathroom, can't put a wall in front of those!
Still, a wall was begun to the left side by aligning the prop 4" x 4"s with, and connecting them to, each other, then to the beams above… Used screws throughout, easier to move or remove (if necessary)
The things that came from the area were returned to it, much diminished, after some "sifting" of content! (Dump Run soon!)

The area on the other side of this wall had been the over-flow of the shop and got cleaned up next…

The thought here is to join the two sets of braces, right and left, and essentially make… you guessed it! A Box…

This first, rear wall is not attached yet… need to leave it loose to trick in the sheetrock…

The Room is small, roughly 6' x 10', and shaped kinda like Nevada… It's also difficult to photograph because there's no place to stand far enough back, the furnace and water heater and pipes are all in the way!

Somewhere in there, the stand-alone upright in the middle was removed and a 4" x 4" was added on the left hand side of what will be the Door, to accommodate the hinges…

And there we stand, the seven individual posts now corralled to a single purpose, working together…
I should have ample storage for my stuff too, so I won''t have to keep leap-frogging it ahead of myself and tripping over it! :)

2 September 2022
Coming along nicely, Mike! Wise move on not blocking the sewage lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,288 Posts
Basement Store Room

2 September 2022
Nice start, Mike. Out a removable box over the cleanout and valves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Basement Store Room

2 September 2022
We can always use more storage, and you are making progress for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Basement Store Room

2 September 2022
Thanks Guys! :)

Hung the inside of the front of this large closet yesterday morning
Wood Floor Fixture Flooring Hardwood

Had a little mud left in a bucket, turned out to be enough for a rough coat inside and to fill in all the seams this morning…
Wood Floor Flooring Fixture Hardwood

Building Wood Floor Flooring Fixture

Have enough Sheetrock to do the outside of this on hand
and installed some screw-to blocks where I'll need them in those odd corners,
but still need a little more Lumber for that
(and to build the door after)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Childhood Souvenirs...

Been lugging around this old Blackboard for many years!
Wood Font Shipping box Wood stain Hardwood

My Grandfather worked as a Custodian at our school in my Hometown… Back when Junior High Schools were thought up and and initiated, 7th and 8th Grades were eliminated from the regular Grade Schools of course…
With some of them, that also meant the elimination of Shop Class/Industrial Arts… This came from such a Classroom at Varney School in Manchester, N.H.
Building Window Sky Brick Brickwork

My Grandfather saved it from the trash heap and gave it to us kids to enjoy back in the late sixties'...
When it moved with us here, I put it in front of the old "dead mantle" in this house… Long story short, somebody closed up and filled in the chimney behind it, then added a "for show" mantle where a Parlor Heater or Kitchen Stove (or possibly both, at different times) vented…
Though I had placed the Chalkboard simply to put it down (it is Heavy!), it turned out to be a good spot for it…
I sanded the literal "Old School" paint off of it (the School was built in the early 1920's)...
Edit: Upon further research, it was discovered, that the School was actually built in 1890… Many apologies for the error!
Plant Wood Wood stain Grass Outdoor furniture

Which revealed what I think is a hand-planed Red Oak frame around it…
After the fake brick "hearth" was removed, a framework of 2 by was built over the mantle to level and screw the Chalkboard to…
Property Wood Interior design Floor Flooring

Then the Floor had to be addressed…
Handwriting Wood Blackboard Chalk Font

Don't know how everybody else fixes these, but this way has always worked pretty well for me…
Us woodworkers can be a crazy lot! When I went looking for a piece the right size, the first piece I found (and the only piece the right size!) was a tiny bit of White Birch from a tree branch my Dad and I cut up in the 1970's!...
Office supplies Writing implement Pen Wood Everyday carry

It was perfect!
Handwriting Hand tool Wood Chalk Handheld power drill

Wood Handwriting Chalk Blackboard Wood stain

Handwriting Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

Brown Handwriting Wood Floor Rectangle

I'm never going to be able to truly match two areas of the floor who's history diverged for 50 years! So…
Wood Handwriting Rectangle Wood stain Flooring

Blue Wood Paint Art Wall

And that's where we're at…
Furniture Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor

All that's left for this is to make a tray along the bottom of it for a chalk and eraser holder… Very happy to see this have a permanent home in our Home! :)

17 September 2022

Attachments

·
Registered
28,288 Posts
Childhood Souvenirs...

My Grandfather worked as a Custodian at our school in my Hometown… Back when Junior High Schools were thought up and and initiated, 7th and 8th Grades were eliminated from the regular Grade Schools of course…
With some of them, that also meant the elimination of Shop Class/Industrial Arts… This came from such a Classroom at Varney School in Manchester, N.H.

My Grandfather saved it from the trash heap and gave it to us kids to enjoy back in the late sixties'...
When it moved with us here, I put it in front of the old "dead mantle" in this house… Long story short, somebody closed up and filled in the chimney behind it, then added a "for show" mantle where a Parlor Heater or Kitchen Stove (or possibly both, at different times) vented…
Though I had placed the Chalkboard simply to put it down (it is Heavy!), it turned out to be a good spot for it…
I sanded the literal "Old School" paint off of it (the School was built in the early 1920's)...
Edit: Upon further research, it was discovered, that the School was actually built in 1890… Many apologies for the error!

After the fake brick "hearth" was removed, a framework of 2 by was built over the mantle to level and screw the Chalkboard to…

Don't know how everybody else fixes these, but this way has always worked pretty well for me…
Us woodworkers can be a crazy lot! When I went looking for a piece the right size, the first piece I found (and the only piece the right size!) was a tiny bit of White Birch from a tree branch my Dad and I cut up in the 1970's!...

It was perfect!

I'm never going to be able to truly match two areas of the floor who's history diverged for 50 years! So…

Blue Wood Paint Art Wall

All that's left for this is to make a tray along the bottom of it for a chalk and eraser holder… Very happy to see this have a permanent home in our Home! :)

17 September 2022
Nice save, Mike. it now has a new home!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,661 Posts
Childhood Souvenirs...

It was perfect!

Blue Wood Paint Art Wall

17 September 2022
Good job, Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Childhood Souvenirs...

It was perfect!

Blue Wood Paint Art Wall

17 September 2022
Its important to preserve history and allow it to be seen, and if a curious mind asks the story can be retold to the next generation, ... or maybe just a interested individual.

Your work certainly lends itself to be noticed and inquired after.

I am sure a smile and appreciation of your skills was seen from Honey too !!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Childhood Souvenirs...

It was perfect!

Blue Wood Paint Art Wall

17 September 2022
Mike, I enjoyed the telling of this chalkboard tale. That is for sure a wonderful rescue/preservation. Thank you for sharing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Childhood Souvenirs...

It was perfect!

Blue Wood Paint Art Wall

17 September 2022
Thanks Guys
My Family and I have a lot of History with that old School!
My Brother and I both attended… and our Father before us
Not only was my Mom's Dad the Custodian,
our next door neighbor was the Principal there
(and his Wife, a 2nd Grade Teacher!)
When they down-sized and moved away, they left to my Parents' Care
some Wonderful Mementos from his Office…
Alarm clock Wood Clock Gas Machine

Brown Picture frame Building Rectangle Wood

The Clock, a Seth Thomas, was a Gift to the School from the Graduating Class of 1927 B…
The Lithographic Portrait of the School was also a Gift, from the Class of 1926…

My 1st day of Kindergarten, 1963 outside of that School…
Smile Flash photography Jaw Sleeve Gesture

My Older Brother was a member of the last 8th Grade Class that Graduated before the "New" Junior High School was built, I was in the last 6th Grade Class 5 years later, when a new Elementary School was opened…
The Building was re-purposed for Elderly Housing in the 1990's…
When they were gutting the place for that, my Dad and I went and asked if we could snap some pictures…
Building Triangle Pyramid Electricity Font

To my everlasting delight, I got to climb the ladder up to the Belfry, and look out!
Sky Building Window Tree Horizon

Attachments

101 - 115 of 115 Posts