LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Clean Out Your Office!

Took a couple months in the dead of Winter here in NH for some Hibernation action; Working, but otherwise getting some rest and considering which direction to go next in This Old House…
Out of several options, it was decided early this month to address next what I've been using and describing as "My Office" since we've moved in… That having been over seven years (!) ago now, it was a mess, another complete shambles of Paperwork, receipts, etc.
It is also where all of the Home Repair tools have been parked while these various works have been occurring…

So just to start, room had to be made to empty the Office into…
Began with the Scroll Saw Table set-up that I have, right outside the Office door…
Property Wood Interior design Floor Flooring

That was brought upstairs from the basement, when I hit a "Bump in the Road" health-wise three years ago, and actually had some fears that I wouldn't be able to do the stairs anymore… Thankfully, my health was restored and while I do appreciate having the saw upstairs and nearby, it is in the way!
So, back down to the Shop it goes…
Table Wood Writing desk Floor Desk

The Shop itself is in need of a complete Clean-up and re-organization as well, after all of the Sun Room Work and various other projects… sigh… If there were three of me, I'd keep them all going! Lol

Anyway, the adjacent Dining Room was cleaned and some room made…
Wood Lighting Interior design Floor Building

Wood Table Flooring Floor Wood stain

It was not empty for long…
Property Wood Wheel Picture frame Interior design

Made room for my Desk and Printer in our Living Room…
Property Picture frame Furniture Television Bookcase

Got everything out except this…
Wood Window Floor Flooring Hardwood

It is pretty "Regulation Issue" for a dwelling these days to have one of these set-ups somewhere… As I'm not moving it, I bought a 2×10 and built a little garage for it all, to keep it out of mischief… Marked for the Outlet opening first…
Wood Road surface Floor Asphalt Flooring

Then fashioned the rest of the frame…
Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor House

As this did not need to be very wide, I used short cuts of 2×6 for the ends (much better for screwing, grain-wise)
I'll put a proper door on this later, but this should keep it safe and sound while the work is going on…
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Wood stain

The Wallpaper was removed next, 4 (5?) layers… It took two days, about 18 or 19 hours…
I wish I had four walls of that pretty, antique little floral pattern! Not a big fan of Wallpaper, but could live with that…
Building Wood Wall Flooring Building material

Chair Wood Fixture Interior design Floor

Property Fixture Wood Paint Floor

Property Furniture Window Building Fixture

And so it went… tedious at best…
There was an end to it of course, and with the exception of a couple of small anomalies (and the corners), the old plaster is actually in good shape!
The Room has gone from this…
Picture frame Wood Interior design Cabinetry Table

To this…
Property Paint Wood Floor Flooring

And yes, the Closet was emptied too…
Building Wood Door Fixture House

The Closet will need a little re-work, i.e., shelves, a new "Floor" over the Safe, hangers for the pole to hang clothes on… I worked last night though, and the ideas aren't leaping out of my head right now! Lol

The Room itself looks pretty straight forward (Mud, Sand, Paint)...

As this will likely be another serial adventure, I figured it would be well to tell the story so far, before there is too much to relate…
Thanks for your time and interest!
Hope to have more soon… :)

2 April 2022
Thanks Rob…
The "Bottom-less Box" was made to house the cable box and rotor for our internet…

i did hear from David last week… He is alive and sounds very well, lost all his passwords so doesn't spend much time "Computing" anymore, stays busy with trying to finish his house

Attachments

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

Took a couple months in the dead of Winter here in NH for some Hibernation action; Working, but otherwise getting some rest and considering which direction to go next in This Old House…
Out of several options, it was decided early this month to address next what I've been using and describing as "My Office" since we've moved in… That having been over seven years (!) ago now, it was a mess, another complete shambles of Paperwork, receipts, etc.
It is also where all of the Home Repair tools have been parked while these various works have been occurring…

Began with the Scroll Saw Table set-up that I have, right outside the Office door…

That was brought upstairs from the basement, when I hit a "Bump in the Road" health-wise three years ago, and actually had some fears that I wouldn't be able to do the stairs anymore… Thankfully, my health was restored and while I do appreciate having the saw upstairs and nearby, it is in the way!

The Shop itself is in need of a complete Clean-up and re-organization as well, after all of the Sun Room Work and various other projects… sigh… If there were three of me, I'd keep them all going! Lol

It is pretty "Regulation Issue" for a dwelling these days to have one of these set-ups somewhere… As I'm not moving it, I bought a 2×10 and built a little garage for it all, to keep it out of mischief… Marked for the Outlet opening first…

As this did not need to be very wide, I used short cuts of 2×6 for the ends (much better for screwing, grain-wise)
I'll put a proper door on this later, but this should keep it safe and sound while the work is going on…

The Wallpaper was removed next, 4 (5?) layers… It took two days, about 18 or 19 hours…
I wish I had four walls of that pretty, antique little floral pattern! Not a big fan of Wallpaper, but could live with that…

There was an end to it of course, and with the exception of a couple of small anomalies (and the corners), the old plaster is actually in good shape!

To this…

The Closet will need a little re-work, i.e., shelves, a new "Floor" over the Safe, hangers for the pole to hang clothes on… I worked last night though, and the ideas aren't leaping out of my head right now! Lol

As this will likely be another serial adventure, I figured it would be well to tell the story so far, before there is too much to relate…

2 April 2022
It's good to see you're still in Concord, in your beautiful New Hampshire home. I was just thinking of you, and hankering for a original Red Arrow hamburger. I remember the place well, from my college daze.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Good to hear from You too PK!
We are lucky, a Red Arrow Franchise was opened here in Concord
right up on Loudon Road!
Same GOOD food (fair prices)...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,660 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Looks like good progress on "This Old Huse", Mike. Good that the plaster was good after all that effort to get the wallpaper off. I'm not a WP fan either.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Looking really good Mike, somehow life is fixing old houses and enjoying as we go, for some of us, smiles.
(And grrrrrrrrrr on other days, laughs).
g<ood to hear from you,.
Best thoughts,
Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Around here that stuff you took off the walls is referred to as "the W word"! One of the worst, if not THE worst DIY tasks ever. Nice start to this venture Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Thanks Bob, Mafe, and Len! Always nice to hear from you guys, I hope you're all well!
Quiet around LJ's these days, isn't it?!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
BTW you are not on your own!

Wood Wood stain Art Cable Plywood

Attachments

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Yes I agree it's become quiet…

I think many of us have just been around for 'too' long, so we started feeling, that we can't keep on posting the same progress and projects…
Also the change to new owners on LJ, made a big change here, it used to be a 'family' place, we were a part of the site and had an ongoing dialog with the site, so we felt a commitment. The owner change kind of changed the site into a machine where there were no communication and we had no part of it any more, we had become 'free' suppliers of content and that changed the site more into a: 'look what I have done mom' place. It's quite easy to see that nothing is invested in us, the site, interface and layout, haven't changed since it was sold, to post a video, is still a fight and when I write LJ, I sometimes get an answer, if lucky, but nothing happens…, so I stopped.

I think we were lucky to be a part of that time, where we felt a community feeling, I still post here from time to time, but now it's manly for my old friends, to share what new I have learned, to keep the contact and not for the community / site anymore. Of course also to share and inspire, but I feel as if I repeat my self often, but here we have to remember that new people always come and so what we might think is 'easy' might be new to others, I try to keep that in mind when I make blog posts still and show every detail in the process, even it feels like a repetition.

Anyway, I still enjoy the kindness and comments I feel and get from users and the old LJ friend ships that always makes me happy to be a part of, like ours, thanks Mike.
Best thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Mafe: In my own case, I've simply become too busy with work, house projects, and Life in general to spend time on the computer at all, and 'Just for Fun' Woodworking seldom happens… As Fun as it is, we all know the time and effort it takes to produce a fair presentation here!
Still, I like to let anybody who cares know I'm "Okay" once in a while
and the house projects often have Wood in them, and give me a way to do it…
I have seen what you described regarding "New Management" also! To me, it seems that all of our Work, Time, Skills, and yes, Love for the Craft have become nothing more than a free internet resource… A quick search on LJ's is even better than 16,000 Free Plans!
Sadly, we've also lost many wonderful Friends here too…

When this Blog was posted, there were only 12 other Blogs posted all Week!
And only 7 New Projects on the Front Page!!
There was 3+ times that much input when I joined and only about 1600 Members!
Who are these 322,000+ here now, and why are they so quiet?? (laughs)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Mike, I am trying to get better at using the blog forum to document some of my projects. The projects have been slow, but still plugging away. With the blogs I hope that they inspire folks or give them some ideas.

I feel that thus is a great site, and I keep using it

Attachments

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Hi Mike,
Yes you got a strong point there, awfully quiet 'users'...
Guess it proves that you have to give to get.
I'm always happy to see you around and to hear all is well.
Glad to hear that life keeps you busy and with a smile.
Best of my thoughts,
Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Taking Care of Business... #1

We left off work on the Office here early in April, after just finishing the wallpaper removal…
Started skim coating and repairing the plaster, and removed the crown molding for easier painting…
Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Hardwood

I learned during the Sun Room renovation, how useful a vacuum can be while sanding!
Wood Floor Flooring Electrical wiring Gas

That might look like a lot of vacuum for a little sander, but you would appreciate how little dust escapes it, especially if you had seen how much dust was created without it!
When this was satisfactorily achieved the painting began on the ceiling…
Property Wood Building Paint Line

Wood Paint Material property Fixture Ceiling

As I've said before, there is little time to devote to these efforts, a day here and there, once a week (sometimes)...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

We left off work on the Office here early in April, after just finishing the wallpaper removal…
Started skim coating and repairing the plaster, and removed the crown molding for easier painting…

I learned during the Sun Room renovation, how useful a vacuum can be while sanding!

That might look like a lot of vacuum for a little sander, but you would appreciate how little dust escapes it, especially if you had seen how much dust was created without it!

As I've said before, there is little time to devote to these efforts, a day here and there, once a week (sometimes)...
Even baby steps are forward progress Mike. I don't have to say it but, "Stay the course!"

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

Thank You Len but there's more to the Story…
I was just confused because LJ's would not let me post photos of the fence work outside…

Attachments

·
Registered
28,285 Posts

Good progress, Mike. Maybe the photos took up too much space on the outside fence.

cheers, Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
13,709 Posts

Coming along nicely, Mike!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Taking Care of Business... #2

(continued)
Though I have wanted to "press on" with this Office project, other duties and work have not been neglected!
When Spring arrived, I finally got around to removing a section of dilapidated stockade from the yard…
LJ"s won't let me post images of that for some reason, saying the file is > 5 MB???
Anyway, light gray trim was painted next, which included the Crown Molding and the French Door…
Wood Engineering Gas Machine Toolroom

Wood Window Wall Package delivery Door

What a lucky find that door was! Happy too, that it's no longer green…
This Old House is (or was) completely devoid of doorstops, so I whipped up a bunch of simple and effective ones out of scrap…
Wood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

These were then painted dark gray, along with the the baseboard covering, the "internet garage" that was built, some of the interior of the closet… I also purchased some strapping to build a framework for shelves and such in the closet (and to finish up the small Sun Room closet)... These became dark gray as well
Building Wood Table Floor Engineering

Fixture Wood Floor Door Flooring

The interior of the closet was yellow and looked fine, but some new yellow was purchased anyway, and applied…
Which brought us to the walls… Hold onto your breath…
Building Property Window Door Azure

Property Paint Fixture Azure Door

The walls are BLUE... Lol

All that was left in the Room to do was the floor…
Another "outside" interruption caused that to be delayed however… Early Spring Work in the Yard caused me to go into our little shed out back… The Squirrels here had their way with it all Winter, and any paper that was stored therein, shredded it like a machine… I truly laughed when I first saw it, it was such a mess!
But I wasn't laughing when I had to take out the lawnmower, and had to sweep up and clean the mess!
The eaves of the shed were largely missing…
Building Wood Wood stain Window House

So when I bought the Strapping, some lengths of PT Decking were purchased too, then used to replace the old and the missing…
Building Window Wood Tree Fixture

The Squirrels are not pleased I'm sure, but I could return to the floor work in the office with one less care…

The floor work was straight forward… In this and any old house, decisions have to be made constantly when repairing, in regards to what "degree" of repair is going to be rendered… This floor has some damage near the window… Working on and in this house has revealed that the Office Window was the original location of the entrance way of the house, the Front Door, if you will… So the damage was likely caused by Winter Boots and shovels and things melting on the floor near it… I might have replaced the affected boards, but the floor is, I believe, Black Walnut and this would be costly…
As it is cosmetic damage and not structural, and the intended final floor plan will have furniture over that area anyway, it will be left as-is… My Goal in this house has never been to "make it new" but to preserve and tend the fine home that it already is… These sections of the building were built 122 years ago and wear the scratches and scars of time well, it would be sinful to erase them! What is a Home without some Homeliness??
In any event, time was taken to clean-up the floor… I'm pretty good with paint, but with a small screwdriver and sandpaper, my few drops (and many that were not mine) were scraped or sanded (or both) from the floor…
Blue Wood Table Floor Flooring

I was going to try something different, some Varnish perhaps, but found an almost-full can of Poly for floors kicking around.. The results are very pleasing…
Property Rectangle Wood Fixture Wood stain

Another Room and Chapter closes…
After two coats, the Floor and Room look excellent, but smell terrible…
I'll keep the door closed on it for a couple days before I start moving back in
Property Window Building Fixture Wood

I'm anxious and excited about finishing this room in particular, because it is going to be like a "key log" in a lot of the log jam that is our household!! Many things are going to fall into place nicely, as far as having their own "forever places"!

As always, Thank You for your time and interest my Friends… :)

21 June 2022

Attachments

·
Registered
28,285 Posts

(continued)
Though I have wanted to "press on" with this Office project, other duties and work have not been neglected!
When Spring arrived, I finally got around to removing a section of dilapidated stockade from the yard…
LJ"s won't let me post images of that for some reason, saying the file is > 5 MB???
Anyway, light gray trim was painted next, which included the Crown Molding and the French Door…

This Old House is (or was) completely devoid of doorstops, so I whipped up a bunch of simple and effective ones out of scrap…

These were then painted dark gray, along with the the baseboard covering, the "internet garage" that was built, some of the interior of the closet… I also purchased some strapping to build a framework for shelves and such in the closet (and to finish up the small Sun Room closet)... These became dark gray as well

The interior of the closet was yellow and looked fine, but some new yellow was purchased anyway, and applied…

Another "outside" interruption caused that to be delayed however… Early Spring Work in the Yard caused me to go into our little shed out back… The Squirrels here had their way with it all Winter, and any paper that was stored therein, shredded it like a machine… I truly laughed when I first saw it, it was such a mess!
But I wasn't laughing when I had to take out the lawnmower, and had to sweep up and clean the mess!

So when I bought the Strapping, some lengths of PT Decking were purchased too, then used to replace the old and the missing…

The Squirrels are not pleased I'm sure, but I could return to the floor work in the office with one less care…

The floor work was straight forward… In this and any old house, decisions have to be made constantly when repairing, in regards to what "degree" of repair is going to be rendered… This floor has some damage near the window… Working on and in this house has revealed that the Office Window was the original location of the entrance way of the house, the Front Door, if you will… So the damage was likely caused by Winter Boots and shovels and things melting on the floor near it… I might have replaced the affected boards, but the floor is, I believe, Black Walnut and this would be costly…
As it is cosmetic damage and not structural, and the intended final floor plan will have furniture over that area anyway, it will be left as-is… My Goal in this house has never been to "make it new" but to preserve and tend the fine home that it already is… These sections of the building were built 122 years ago and wear the scratches and scars of time well, it would be sinful to erase them! What is a Home without some Homeliness??
In any event, time was taken to clean-up the floor… I'm pretty good with paint, but with a small screwdriver and sandpaper, my few drops (and many that were not mine) were scraped or sanded (or both) from the floor…

I was going to try something different, some Varnish perhaps, but found an almost-full can of Poly for floors kicking around.. The results are very pleasing…

I'm anxious and excited about finishing this room in particular, because it is going to be like a "key log" in a lot of the log jam that is our household!! Many things are going to fall into place nicely, as far as having their own "forever places"!

21 June 2022
You're giving that old house a new life, Mike. That is very good mass of projects that will be never ending but rewarding….........Cheers, Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
11,316 Posts

(continued)

21 June 2022
The joys of being a happy home owner. About the time you think you've gotten everything done. Something new pops up needing attention.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 115 Posts