LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
Sun Room Work - More of it...

In the last episode, the inside Framing around where the new casement window is going had just been completed..
Property Furniture Window Cabinetry Wood

The last little inside step, was to drill a hole in the very corner of the opening with a long-shank drill…
Building Window Fixture Wood Cabinetry

After inserting dowels in the holes from the outside, it was very simple to mark the opening on the siding with a straight edge…
Building Window Wood Ladder Shade

Before any of the cutting was done, the siding and sheathing were re-nailed to the new stud configuration underneath…
Building Window Plant Wood House

And that was as far as that went last Sunday… Had to wait until my next day off, Thursday…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Cat is an indoor one, and since all the rest of the installation is on the outside I thought it prudent to block out the opening until the window was in…
Property Fixture Wood Cabinetry Building

Thursday Morning began with the opening being roughed out with a circular saw first, then fine tuned with a jig saw…
Property Building Window Fixture Wood

It won't do to attach to the siding, so a thin strip of siding has to be removed so the window can be screwed to the sheathing and studs under…
This was accomplished with the circular saw as well, with the blade set shallow…
Building Window Property Wood Fixture

I was chasing raindrops here for a while, just managing to caulk and screw the window in place before the weather turned nasty again…
Had to call Debbie in for the un-veiling, she's been putting up with this noise and mess for two months now as well!
A little boy sits in a tree house that he built, dreaming of how to make it better… and all these years later, he's able to take ideas and change his Home…
Property Window Fixture Wood Building

Got some PVC "Strapping", and caulked and bordered the outside Friday, which is where we sit today…
Building Window Fixture Wood House

Outside work is done, window is in, all Cosmetic/Finish Work from here on…
This was begun on June 8th, and while we've ticked off almost two Calendar pages, the actual Work Time has only been about 9 or 10 days…
Thanks for taking the time to follow along!

31 July 2021
Your dream is coming true Mike. You're turning the corner now and heading for the stretch. Lookslike you're doing a great job.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Sun Room Work - More of it...

In the last episode, the inside Framing around where the new casement window is going had just been completed..
Property Furniture Window Cabinetry Wood

The last little inside step, was to drill a hole in the very corner of the opening with a long-shank drill…
Building Window Fixture Wood Cabinetry

After inserting dowels in the holes from the outside, it was very simple to mark the opening on the siding with a straight edge…
Building Window Wood Ladder Shade

Before any of the cutting was done, the siding and sheathing were re-nailed to the new stud configuration underneath…
Building Window Plant Wood House

And that was as far as that went last Sunday… Had to wait until my next day off, Thursday…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Cat is an indoor one, and since all the rest of the installation is on the outside I thought it prudent to block out the opening until the window was in…
Property Fixture Wood Cabinetry Building

Thursday Morning began with the opening being roughed out with a circular saw first, then fine tuned with a jig saw…
Property Building Window Fixture Wood

It won't do to attach to the siding, so a thin strip of siding has to be removed so the window can be screwed to the sheathing and studs under…
This was accomplished with the circular saw as well, with the blade set shallow…
Building Window Property Wood Fixture

I was chasing raindrops here for a while, just managing to caulk and screw the window in place before the weather turned nasty again…
Had to call Debbie in for the un-veiling, she's been putting up with this noise and mess for two months now as well!
A little boy sits in a tree house that he built, dreaming of how to make it better… and all these years later, he's able to take ideas and change his Home…

Got some PVC "Strapping", and caulked and bordered the outside Friday, which is where we sit today…
Building Window Fixture Wood House

Outside work is done, window is in, all Cosmetic/Finish Work from here on…
This was begun on June 8th, and while we've ticked off almost two Calendar pages, the actual Work Time has only been about 9 or 10 days…
Thanks for taking the time to follow along!

31 July 2021
And let there be light and so there were!
Well done Mike.
Best thoughts,
Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Sun Room Work - Wrap it up...

It was the end of July when we left off, after revealing the new window…

After a switch was installed for the new outside outlet…

The insulation was restored, and the area was covered over with sheetrock…

Did all the mudding and the sanding next and the last of the wallpaper paste removal after that…

I have one of those 'Dust Deputy' set-ups for the shop vacuum… I lugged the thing upstairs and rigged my random orbital sander to it, that helped a ton with dust control…
The Rug and under liner was removed at this point (which is where this project started in the first place, a desire for new flooring)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Only a day (or Less) a week (sometimes) could be devoted to this project, so it wasn't until October that the painting began with a fresh white coat for the ceiling…

Light Gray was the choice for some of the trim work…

The Laundry area got a splash of lemon yellow…

And the Sun Room received coats of the nearest thing we could find to "Coral"...

Our Flooring Order arrived around this time…

We chose engineered hardwood flooring, Hickory in this case… Great Product, it goes together like a big jigsaw puzzle
Anyway, after the baseboard was painted a dark shade of gray, the flooring began…

A "Random" pattern is anything but! It takes "willful intentions" to get satisfactory "Randomness"...
The Sun Room floor took somewhat less than a day, and really came out looking nice…

When the flooring was purchased, enough was bought to do our Kitchen as well…The linoleum there was (I'd guess) from the 1970's, a dark and busy pattern…
The transition between the two Rooms was the hardest part, involving as it did, working backwards into a little pantry closet and the basement doorway area (while maintaining a straight line)
The door had to be removed as well and a 1/2" taken off of it to accommodate the new floor height…

After that were a couple days of "musical" furniture and appliances, juggling the Fridge and Range and the "Ark" that I made until New floor was placed under…

The Bedroom door also had to be trimmed… It dragged the floor since we moved in, and probably since the linoleum was installed, all those years ago!
It does not drag any more…
Long Story even longer, the floor and room work were finished last week on the 22nd, just in time for Christmas…
Property Building Table Wood Flooring

Hope yours was quiet and peaceful and Best Wishes to ALL of us in the coming year!
Furniture Property Table Wood Door

30 December 2021

Attachments

·
Registered
7,426 Posts

Did all the mudding and the sanding next and the last of the wallpaper paste removal after that…

I have one of those 'Dust Deputy' set-ups for the shop vacuum… I lugged the thing upstairs and rigged my random orbital sander to it, that helped a ton with dust control…
The Rug and under liner was removed at this point (which is where this project started in the first place, a desire for new flooring)

Only a day (or Less) a week (sometimes) could be devoted to this project, so it wasn't until October that the painting began with a fresh white coat for the ceiling…

Property Window Fixture Wood Interior design

And the Sun Room received coats of the nearest thing we could find to "Coral"...

We chose engineered hardwood flooring, Hickory in this case… Great Product, it goes together like a big jigsaw puzzle
Anyway, after the baseboard was painted a dark shade of gray, the flooring began…

A "Random" pattern is anything but! It takes "willful intentions" to get satisfactory "Randomness"...
The Sun Room floor took somewhat less than a day, and really came out looking nice…

When the flooring was purchased, enough was bought to do our Kitchen as well…The linoleum there was (I'd guess) from the 1970's, a dark and busy pattern…
The transition between the two Rooms was the hardest part, involving as it did, working backwards into a little pantry closet and the basement doorway area (while maintaining a straight line)
The door had to be removed as well and a 1/2" taken off of it to accommodate the new floor height…

After that were a couple days of "musical" furniture and appliances, juggling the Fridge and Range and the "Ark" that I made until New floor was placed under…

The Bedroom door also had to be trimmed… It dragged the floor since we moved in, and probably since the linoleum was installed, all those years ago!
Long Story even longer, the floor and room work were finished last week on the 22nd, just in time for Christmas…

Hope yours was quiet and peaceful and Best Wishes to ALL of us in the coming year!

30 December 2021
You have been very busy man… Job well done!!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,709 Posts

Cabinetry Fixture Building Wood Home appliance

30 December 2021
Wow, Mike, you sure have been busy!! Every thing looks spectacular, too. Really like the yellow in the laundry area!

Attachments

·
Registered
28,288 Posts

Building Fixture Window Wood Door

30 December 2021
Man that looks great , Mike!.................Happy New Year , my friend…...........Cheers, ,Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Window Property Building Fixture Wood

Window Cabinetry Wood Interior design Floor

30 December 2021
yes that's a thumbs up from me too

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

30 December 2021
I SO respect the work of a skilled DIYer! Well done Mike. Happy New Year!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,957 Posts

Window Property Building Fixture Wood

Property Interior design Fixture Floor Chair

Window Building Wood Flooring Floor

Fixture Wood Door Paint Tints and shades

Cabinetry Building Wood Interior design Countertop

Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Hardwood

Wood Flooring Interior design Floor Wood stain

Wood Rectangle Fixture Flooring Floor

Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Door

Wood Cabinetry Flooring Floor Refrigerator

30 December 2021
Looks really good, you have been a busy bee.
Really a serious upgrade of the house, with that new floor.
Happy new year,
Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

Property Interior design Fixture Floor Chair

30 December 2021
Thanks Guys!
As you know, any project is basically a series of small steps… This one, had a dauntingly long list of steps! Some of them never show up in a blog or description, because they're not really worthy of mention, and fairly typical of this sort of work…
The baseboard heating was discovered to be originally mounted to drywall only… which meant they were essentially projecting into the room, held up by the strength of the plumbing connections alone… Fixed that, by re-mounting it all, with screws and washers, to the studs in the wall…
Other little things cropped up and had to be dealt with, but with effort, these problems were solved and worked through…
The Room's color was daring, and I was a little leery of how well it would look, a whole room painted Coral/Hot Pink… But it really came out great! The color is a shade that never seems to look the same hue; it changes, as the light changes in the room, adding to the visual interest… I also never anticipated how warm and comforting the shade is! In short, it makes me smile…
The flooring tying the two rooms together was long over-due, and looks and feels wonderful underfoot also
We are very happy with the results! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,661 Posts

Fixture Wood Door Paint Tints and shades

Cabinetry Building Wood Interior design Countertop

Wood Rectangle Fixture Flooring Floor

Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Door

30 December 2021
Congrats, well done!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Clean Out Your Office!

Took a couple months in the dead of Winter here in NH for some Hibernation action; Working, but otherwise getting some rest and considering which direction to go next in This Old House…
Out of several options, it was decided early this month to address next what I've been using and describing as "My Office" since we've moved in… That having been over seven years (!) ago now, it was a mess, another complete shambles of Paperwork, receipts, etc.
It is also where all of the Home Repair tools have been parked while these various works have been occurring…

So just to start, room had to be made to empty the Office into…
Began with the Scroll Saw Table set-up that I have, right outside the Office door…
Property Wood Interior design Floor Flooring

That was brought upstairs from the basement, when I hit a "Bump in the Road" health-wise three years ago, and actually had some fears that I wouldn't be able to do the stairs anymore… Thankfully, my health was restored and while I do appreciate having the saw upstairs and nearby, it is in the way!
So, back down to the Shop it goes…
Table Wood Writing desk Floor Desk

The Shop itself is in need of a complete Clean-up and re-organization as well, after all of the Sun Room Work and various other projects… sigh… If there were three of me, I'd keep them all going! Lol

Anyway, the adjacent Dining Room was cleaned and some room made…
Wood Lighting Interior design Floor Building

Wood Table Flooring Floor Wood stain

It was not empty for long…
Property Wood Wheel Picture frame Interior design

Made room for my Desk and Printer in our Living Room…
Property Picture frame Furniture Television Bookcase

Got everything out except this…
Wood Window Floor Flooring Hardwood

It is pretty "Regulation Issue" for a dwelling these days to have one of these set-ups somewhere… As I'm not moving it, I bought a 2×10 and built a little garage for it all, to keep it out of mischief… Marked for the Outlet opening first…
Wood Road surface Floor Asphalt Flooring

Then fashioned the rest of the frame…
Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor House

As this did not need to be very wide, I used short cuts of 2×6 for the ends (much better for screwing, grain-wise)
I'll put a proper door on this later, but this should keep it safe and sound while the work is going on…
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Wood stain

The Wallpaper was removed next, 4 (5?) layers… It took two days, about 18 or 19 hours…
I wish I had four walls of that pretty, antique little floral pattern! Not a big fan of Wallpaper, but could live with that…
Building Wood Wall Flooring Building material

Chair Wood Fixture Interior design Floor

Property Fixture Wood Paint Floor

Property Furniture Window Building Fixture

And so it went… tedious at best…
There was an end to it of course, and with the exception of a couple of small anomalies (and the corners), the old plaster is actually in good shape!
The Room has gone from this…
Picture frame Wood Interior design Cabinetry Table

To this…
Property Paint Wood Floor Flooring

And yes, the Closet was emptied too…
Building Wood Door Fixture House

The Closet will need a little re-work, i.e., shelves, a new "Floor" over the Safe, hangers for the pole to hang clothes on… I worked last night though, and the ideas aren't leaping out of my head right now! Lol

The Room itself looks pretty straight forward (Mud, Sand, Paint)...

As this will likely be another serial adventure, I figured it would be well to tell the story so far, before there is too much to relate…
Thanks for your time and interest!
Hope to have more soon… :)

2 April 2022

Attachments

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

Took a couple months in the dead of Winter here in NH for some Hibernation action; Working, but otherwise getting some rest and considering which direction to go next in This Old House…
Out of several options, it was decided early this month to address next what I've been using and describing as "My Office" since we've moved in… That having been over seven years (!) ago now, it was a mess, another complete shambles of Paperwork, receipts, etc.
It is also where all of the Home Repair tools have been parked while these various works have been occurring…

Began with the Scroll Saw Table set-up that I have, right outside the Office door…

That was brought upstairs from the basement, when I hit a "Bump in the Road" health-wise three years ago, and actually had some fears that I wouldn't be able to do the stairs anymore… Thankfully, my health was restored and while I do appreciate having the saw upstairs and nearby, it is in the way!

The Shop itself is in need of a complete Clean-up and re-organization as well, after all of the Sun Room Work and various other projects… sigh… If there were three of me, I'd keep them all going! Lol

It is pretty "Regulation Issue" for a dwelling these days to have one of these set-ups somewhere… As I'm not moving it, I bought a 2×10 and built a little garage for it all, to keep it out of mischief… Marked for the Outlet opening first…

As this did not need to be very wide, I used short cuts of 2×6 for the ends (much better for screwing, grain-wise)
I'll put a proper door on this later, but this should keep it safe and sound while the work is going on…

The Wallpaper was removed next, 4 (5?) layers… It took two days, about 18 or 19 hours…
I wish I had four walls of that pretty, antique little floral pattern! Not a big fan of Wallpaper, but could live with that…

There was an end to it of course, and with the exception of a couple of small anomalies (and the corners), the old plaster is actually in good shape!

To this…

The Closet will need a little re-work, i.e., shelves, a new "Floor" over the Safe, hangers for the pole to hang clothes on… I worked last night though, and the ideas aren't leaping out of my head right now! Lol

As this will likely be another serial adventure, I figured it would be well to tell the story so far, before there is too much to relate…

2 April 2022
Looking great, Mike!

I see you had the "Inspector" checking on the progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Thanks Lew!
Yeah, he follows me everywhere when I'm Home, always interested in what his "Daddy" is up to…
He's a Good Kitty… most of the time…

Attachments

·
Registered
28,288 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Way to go, Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!..cheers, Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Your off to a good start there. Wallpaper is a pita to remove. I always had to do a skim coat after prior to painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Come on Mike, Cleaning a shop… that's never ending. I try and get close but not enough. Tomorrow I add to the mess/proof of success. I hope it never ends!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Thanks Jim!
Thank You as well Eric… PITA, yes, very much, 2 1/2 full-size trash bags stuffed chock full of PAPER!
MOST of the layers come off mechanically (scraping) with effort, but that Piranha wallpaper paste and paper remover works great for getting right down to the surface….
The bottom layer was so old it was printed on Brown Paper, and dry as dust… when the remover was applied the droppings resembled… well, droppings! Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
I hear ya Bob and am on your side, but when it becomes difficult to plant a foot or walk without tripping, I gotta do something about it… I'm holding out for weather a little warmer so I can burn the scraps outside and another day off to do a dump run… Makin' the mess is surely the fun part, but cleaning it allows you to make new, bigger messes!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Clean Out Your Office!

To this…

2 April 2022
Your "new" home is looking nothing short of spectacular!

Remember the old adage nature abhors a vacuum!

Now a couple of questions where is our friend patron in the pictures?
and just what exactly what is in the garage?
keep up the (bloody) good work Pip Pip!!

Attachments

61 - 80 of 115 Posts