LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can't answer that Gman, but I do miss his shows love em. Can't get them here in the States and I tried to watch an episode online but it wasn't allowed, had to be a from a Canadian portal.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim, Mario,John Gray I just wanted to know because on the site he was on before in Canada no one seams to like is comments he was too smart "in his own mine" for others, he makes poeple work for him and takes the flowers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE "Sorry this guy irks men . He makes himself look like superman just for doing contracting work the way it's suppose to be done…."

Unfortunately in today's society that seems to be the way it is…..just showing up on-time everyday is worth a pat on the back, because so few seem to be able to handle that.

I have seen the show on HGTV lately too. I like the guy and the show.

GMman, that is the point of the "general" contractor. He puts the right people in the right place and over-sees how it all comes together…much like a conductor, although a conductor doesn't play any instrument

·
Registered
951 Posts
Mike Holmes is no different than any other popular TV personality. Some will slam regardless of the value just as some will praise when there is no value there.

Truth is Mike raises the bar. If anything should be taken from his shows it's the consequences of a dissinterested client letting a contractor do poor work.

Contractors such as myself see a great show in that it educates the client to do their work. Know wether thier project requires a permit and when something doesn't feel right stop the work until you get answers and are comfortable again. Check a contractors supplier references and go look at his other jobs, talk to former clients.

Sure, Mike is a glory hog. He wouldn't have a show if he didn't have quirks that make him unique.

Actually he suffers from something quite common among us remodelers, Munchausen by Remodel. Some of my clients have said they didn't have anything wrong till I showed up.

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
I,m with you Jim , this guy really doesn,t impress me at all .
I,ll give him credit for knowing how to remodel a bathroom . His father is responsible for that but when it comes to other jobs like decks and fences he doesn,t have much style at all .
I also don,t see him talk much about recycling materials which is very important these days . He just says rip it out and start over !!
He is definitely not my HERO :)

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Hey Jagwah
I think your right, that much of has puffing is due to perceived production value. And the production of his show does help some folks. Most of the time I don't go negative I guess it's from getting walloped by the old guy grumpy fairies wand.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Jim
It all elevates the intelligence of the consumer. Smarter the consumer, higher the expectations. Higher the expectations harder we work at elevating our craft.

The show doesn't enlighten me, never has but I enjoy the crud he finds. I enjoy a small bit, the suffering his clients go through due to hiring the low bidder or blindly excepting the BS some contractors exude.

As to needing a fairy wand to hit me for goin grumpy, nah. I live on the edge between grumpy and toady. Helps keep me innerds all gristly. I just try to use the grumpy for good.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Hey Mark
Yes and no codes are a bit different every were,some of the things I've seen the times I've seen his show would not fly in my area.
Good point Jawah
I've had many folks take the low bid by some low ball unexperienced contractor or a unlicensed neighbor , friend or ? and want me to bid on fixing what the previously person did wrong. My second bid is always higher for undoing what a unknowing person botched.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I been a huge fan of mike for years. HGTV dose have mike on during the week and weekends. I would like to bring up the point that mike's show teaches a young person how and why it is important to think ahead. I have learn a lot from mike's show, now is he 100% right no, and the building codes are different in some areas.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Good point Andrew about teaching young folks. As a twenty+ year contractor I forget that a newer person in the trades might not know some of the things that are offered on HGTV. But some times on there other shows they are way off base too ,so I'm not to sure if that helps or hurts a new person.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.