LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chip carved plate, add color?

I'm wondering what you think about my adding some color to this chip carved plate.
From the start I'd planned on adding a light, transparent, oil-based green color to the leaves and red to the berries.
But now that I've gotten this far in the finishing process, I really like the way it looks and I'm chickening out when it comes to doing anything else to this chip carving.
What do you think?

Dishware Wood Serveware Rectangle Ornament

Attachments

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

I'm wondering what you think about my adding some color to this chip carved plate.
From the start I'd planned on adding a light, transparent, oil-based green color to the leaves and red to the berries.
But now that I've gotten this far in the finishing process, I really like the way it looks and I'm chickening out when it comes to doing anything else to this chip carving.
What do you think?

hmmm that looks beautiful "as is"
adding colours, I think, would just make it another beautiful piece-same but completely different.

Can you try "doctoring" the photo, giving it some colour, to see it before you do anything to the wood?

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What do you think?

Hadn't thought of "doctoring" the photo, Debbie. Good idea!

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts

What do you think?

Um, Wow.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

What do you think?

Marty,

I like Debbie's idea. I think I would like it with the color added. If you "doctor" a photo, you can see for sure and not risk all that beautiful work in case you don't like it.

Did you turn the plate, too? It really is beautiful.

L/W

Attachments

·
Registered
32,187 Posts

What do you think?

This is a beautiful plate. You're carving is wonderful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

What do you think?

This is just beautiful!
I love it just the way it is but also agree that it would be just as beautiful "colored", it would take on a whole new look / dimension.

This looks like the "background" was "shaded/colored" or is it all the way through?????

Just go ahead and carve another one just like it and then you will know for sure LOL

I love all of your work, just fantastic.

I have a chip carved piece that my great grandmother did about 100 years ago. Have been thinking of giving it a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts

What do you think?

This is fantastic, just the way it is. It is much more "classic" without the color. I have no doubt the "colorized" version would be beautiful, too. But, as much as I appreciate the "colorized" classics on Turner Classic Movies, I still prefer the black-and-white movies.

You don't have to polish a pearl - or color it either.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What do you think?

All these LJ comments are excellent! Your insights are valuable and appreciated.
I'll hang on to words like "You don't have to polish a pearl" :)
Marty Leenhouts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

What do you think?

Marty, another masterpiece. I like the black and white feel of this piece….color would make it different and might possibly enhance the berries…but I find it appealing as is. I have colored some of my woodburnings and find that they become too busy and cluttered because of the color….so I have become a disciple of understatement….keep it simple the old saying says….in this case the beautiful chips stand out magnificiently as is….no further enhancement needed. It reminds me of those "Tribal" patterns and tatoos that have been much the rave in body arts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

What do you think?

i like it as is. I wouldn't change a thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

What do you think?

All these LJ comments are excellent! Your insights are valuable and appreciated.
I'll hang on to words like "You don't have to polish a pearl" :)
Marty Leenhouts

Attachments

·
Registered
8,587 Posts

What do you think?

Hey Marty,

I was just sitting here reading Wayne Barton's Complete Guide to Chip Carving and saw your plate. In my opinion, it looks fantastic the way it is. Only hope I can turn out something as beautiful when I get started.

cheers,

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
8,587 Posts

What do you think?

Rectangle Branch Wood Twig Font

Does this help you decide Marty?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

What do you think?

Marty (and Andy),

I'm not sure how it could be achieved on a "doctored" photo, but I was envisioning much more transparent colors, with some shading.

I do think that Gene's suggestion is best, however: "Just go ahead and carve another one just like it and then you will know for sure LOL" So . . . we're awaiting the duplicate!

L/W

Attachments

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

What do you think?

here's Andy's photo, lightened up for comparison…
Rectangle Font Symmetry Circle Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

What do you think?

Andy/Debbie, look what you've done!
I had pretty much settled on leaving it as is after getting such great feedback.

But now you go ahead and give me a visual and I really like the transparent coloring too. :)

Maybe one of each is the way to solve the dilemma? hmmm….

Attachments

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

What do you think?

well, if I had any say in the matter, I'd push towards having two :)
What a great opportunity it would be to compare the finishes to see which you prefer

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
17,103 Posts

What do you think?

Hi Mary. I admire your chip carving very much. A hundred years ago many carvers colored their work and it looked wonderful. The problem now is that with so many things being made with composite/plastic materials and with colors, some might not fully appreciate that they are seeing a master chip carver's work. I love colorful things, but I don't think I would use it on carving these days. If I did use it, then I would stain to show the wood grain, but I still think no color is best.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

What do you think?

Mike, your comments about others possibly not appreciating the carving is something to consider.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.