LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am seriously thinking about unloading my old Craftsman radial arm saw and 10" compound miter saw and replacing both with a 10" sliding dual compound miter saw. In particular, I am looking at the Hitachi C10FSB or the DeWalt DW717. Do you guys have any suggestions?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I recently went from using my Craftsman RAS to a sliding miter saw. I looked at quite a few and ended up with the 10 inch Makita LS1016L.

I probably read more good things about the Hitachi than I did the DeWalt from contractors. The Lowes close to me had Hitachi miters but for some reason did not have their sliding miter saw. I looked awful hard at the DeWalt 717 but I really liked the feel and operation of the Makita so I got that and love it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cato. I have looked at the Makita and like it…but have not been able to find it a price that competes with the Hitachi or DeWalt. I can currently get either (the DeWalt is reconditioned) for just under $400 which is pretty appealing when comparing with others. I have found that Craigslist does not have many sliders…and when they do, the price is not that much better and there, of course, is no warranty.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Geedubs- I found the best internet deal I could on the Makita and printed it out and took it into my Home Depot and asked them to match the price and they did. Saved me $70 over their retail price and I got the 90 day return policy.

I have been very happy with this saw, and it is way more accurate than my old RAS, which was a good unit it just took too much to keep it in adjustment for finer work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Cato. That goes to show that a little creativity and testing the limits does sometimes pay off. I will think about that strategy, although I am not sure that I can find the Makita anywhere (including online) that is priced competitively to the Hitachi or DeWalt (refurbished). I have purchased refurbished tools in the past and have never been disappointed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Moron. Actually, the DeWalt claims to be able to cut crown molding (vertically nested) up to 6 1/4" It appears to be due to do with the design of the motor housing/frame that allows greater clearance. If I am not understanding something about this capacity, let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.